Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well i'm not even thinking about getting new pigeons right now but a friend of my brother, who is gone to India for a vacation plans on bringing a pair of pigeons from India to here. He doesn't want to go through the paper work so he wants to say they are his "pets". And bring them in a cage. Obviously the cage will be big enough but will he still need to do the paper work even if it is one or two pigeons who are his personal pets?

Second question, if he gets pigeon eggs from india, and 10 days later hes back in canada and he switches those eggs with another pairs eggs. Will these eggs hatch? If they had not already started to incubate from the minute they were laid? And if they're in tip top shape will they still hatch if incubation starts 6-7 days later? And if the eggs are fertile.

Those two questions were from him :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ummmm. Are you aloud to import live animals from india to Canada??
Do they not need to be quarantined for like 3months??

:S

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
I hope that he gets caught trying to bring in birds that do not have the proper paper work,and Quarantine.Your jerkey friend don't care that he may bring in some type of sickness into Canada GEORGE;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
The answers are:

Question 1: Absolutely not

Question 2} Not very likely

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Tell your friend not to do it. It will give all Canadians some safety if your friend follows quarantine rules. I think the airplane custom may not allow the birds without paperwork.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Gurbir,
Please tell your friend not to do anything so foolish. Not only would he be putting other birds in jeopardy there in Canada, but if he accidentally imported something nasty, he could put the entire livestock industry in jeopardy.
Contrary to popular belief, there is a very important reason for the paperwork and quarantine issues, and they are not required just to enrich the government coffers.
I spent a few weeks in India and when my hosts found out I liked pigeons, we toured at least a dozen lofts. I would love to have some of those birds here with me. But you have to follow the rules.
You know first hand the problems a disease can cause in your loft, why take the chance the disease could spread to someone else's loft?

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Well said, Uncle Buck.

fp

·
Registered
359 Posts
There might be chance of the eggs incubating if they're brought in within a couple of days of being laid,but not 10 days though.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
All I can say to your friend is "NCD- no can do"...He have to go to the Canadian Costum, right paperworks for the birds...The eggs, well one of my family member work for ICE (before), and now he's in US Costum & Border Patrol, anything that is not supposed to enter gets thrown away...Good luck...But I won't get my hopes up...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Gurbir,
Please tell your friend not to do anything so foolish. Not only would he be putting other birds in jeopardy there in Canada, but if he accidentally imported something nasty, he could put the entire livestock industry in jeopardy.
Contrary to popular belief, there is a very important reason for the paperwork and quarantine issues, and they are not required just to enrich the government coffers.
I spent a few weeks in India and when my hosts found out I liked pigeons, we toured at least a dozen lofts. I would love to have some of those birds here with me. But you have to follow the rules.
You know first hand the problems a disease can cause in your loft, why take the chance the disease could spread to someone else's loft?
I agree with UncleBuck. Bringing some disease in would be really bad. :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Maybe bringing those birds from other countries make them so big and proud, but not thinking the consequences...We have enough bird flu problems in US and also in Asia...Why do we have to add to this problem...Is the bird/eggs from other countries are way better than the one we have here...Remember, those birds/eggs are not use to the environment and the changes in climate...I don't know if they care or they just want to have their own way that maybe it can work...Its too obvious that the eggs can not go in a luggage or in a box because few tossing and turning of the luggage or box, the embryo will die for what I think...It can not hide in the carry-on luggage because once the costum see it in the x-ray they will ask what is it and if you deny it they will let you open the bag and take it from you, I don't really know what kind of MENTALITY other people have...Why risk something that you can have where you live...Let me add something to this...
"Common Sense is Not So Common"​

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
maybe your brother can find the same breed in canada, The eggs would be iffy, they might not even allow them with him....whats so special about these birds?...does he have a picture of them?.....does your brother have his own loft?, the last thing you need is more birds right now....don't "collect" birds. just give the ones you have a healthy enviroment and then go from there.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
People do import pigeons from Europe to the U.S., some via Canada.

It costs quite a bit of money, all the paperwork has to be in order, the birds have to go through quarantine.

It takes some motivation.

Otherwise, he is dooming the birds to an early death. They will be destroyed by the authorities.

This happens all too often. And ... the pigeons pay the ultimate price: they die needlessly.

Larry

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hey guys, well i'm not even thinking about getting new pigeons right now but a friend of my brother, who is gone to India for a vacation plans on bringing a pair of pigeons from India to here. He doesn't want to go through the paper work so he wants to say they are his "pets". And bring them in a cage. Obviously the cage will be big enough but will he still need to do the paper work even if it is one or two pigeons who are his personal pets?

Second question, if he gets pigeon eggs from india, and 10 days later hes back in canada and he switches those eggs with another pairs eggs. Will these eggs hatch? If they had not already started to incubate from the minute they were laid? And if they're in tip top shape will they still hatch if incubation starts 6-7 days later? And if the eggs are fertile.

Those two questions were from him :)
Larry is right...As you can see Larry he seems doesn't care about the whole procedure bringing birds inside from other country...All he want is to sneak it in with so-called pets then like you said the birds will pay the consequences...I hope they stop what they think they are doing...Terrible...

I've underline what I think is wrong...

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
We have a member, Kajupakhi, who works in the States but goes back to India often because her family and pigeons are there. Her pet pigeon, Kaju, got very sick a year or so ago and it was touch and go whether he would survive. Thankfully, he did.

I know, if there had been any simple way for Kajupakhi to have brought Kaju back to the States with her, she would have. She stayed in India long past her vacation time trying to save Kaju. If she had been able to bring him home with her she would have had access to more medicine and medical care.

I noticed she was "on" yesterday so maybe she will check in again and let you know for sure.

To put it bluntly - it just ain't worth it!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For those of you that thought my brother was going to do it, no lol. Its his friend, and i already told him that paperwork is needed, (i was with my uncle when he imported birds from india) but he insisted that i put the question here. Secondly, the eggs. Well theres this guy that lives a block or two from where i do, that brought 6 eggs from india to incubate here. He put the eggs under hens that were already sitting on eggs. Out of those 6 eggs, 1 hatched, and is alive and over a year old now. This is why he asked this question. Well compared to the states and foreign countries, canada doesn't hae the best quality, well there are amazing birds here too but we're probably in 10th or 11th place in the world for pigeons. And thanks for the info guys, i'll pass it on to him.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
For those of you that thought my brother was going to do it, no lol. Its his friend, and i already told him that paperwork is needed, (i was with my uncle when he imported birds from india) but he insisted that i put the question here. Secondly, the eggs. Well theres this guy that lives a block or two from where i do, that brought 6 eggs from india to incubate here. He put the eggs under hens that were already sitting on eggs. Out of those 6 eggs, 1 hatched, and is alive and over a year old now. This is why he asked this question. Well compared to the states and foreign countries, canada doesn't hae the best quality, well there are amazing birds here too but we're probably in 10th or 11th place in the world for pigeons. And thanks for the info guys, i'll pass it on to him.
oh! not your bro...ok:eek::p...I think the eggs with foster parents would be an interesting project.....if they did not hatch, nothing gained, but nothing lost either...

·
Registered
967 Posts
WHat do you mean scanned by x-ray? they could be candeled to see if they are fertile or not is that what you mean?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts