Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, at Farmer's Day my Ag. teacher brought a LOT of straw. It was free for him, and he didn't need it once we were done (we basically just used most of it to sit on, haha), so he gave it all to me. We probably have 10 squares of it now? Anyways, I cleaned out the loft yesterday, cut the strings off the straw, and spread it all out. I had no idea the whole thing would cover the floor THAT much! I probably could have only used half a square. Now it's a nice thick bed, level with the thresh hold at the door :p The birds are loving it. Before I put it down, I covered the floor with DE. Every day I'll go in there and move it around a bit, and every week it'll get changed out. Next time I'm not using as much as I did this time, LOL.
I looked in the loft and the floor was covered with pigeons sprawled out on the floor :p
Of course they all got up when I was ready to take a picture :rolleyes:
Here's some pics!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Here's one of your birds Ken!
Renee, does this bird look familiar at all? It's a split image of it's momma, 5042.

·
Registered
332 Posts
looks good Becky! I have over the years tried all kind of floor covering, but nothing works as good as FREE floor covering! I started road training got them up to about 12 miles 2 from you are still with me.By the way I have stated calling the Red bird Hawk Man . Jeff

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I know :p I didn't originally want perches that low, but my dad just made a bunch of boards with perches spaced out on them. Some came out a little longer than expected. But when we weaned babies over there, a lot of them were pretty happy they had a low-to-the-floor perch. Made them feel special :p
But now with that straw, they're almost covered up!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks good Becky! I have over the years tried all kind of floor covering, but nothing works as good as FREE floor covering! I started road training got them up to about 12 miles 2 from you are still with me.By the way I have stated calling the Red bird Hawk Man . Jeff
Yup, we love those $Free.99 prices :p
Good to hear my little youngins are still hanging in there! :D

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Great looking birds Becky.
Now all you need to do is rig up a bicycle and get those birds on the road ;)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Surprisingly, I have actually asked my dad several times over the years if I could do that, LOL :p But in the next to last picture, see that lawnmower looking tractor thingy with the little trailer? That's my pigeon hauler until I get my license, haha. Except I don't know if I'd go any farther than across the yard with it :eek:

My grandpa had a TV/radio repair shop at home, and my dad would be the one trecking across town, on his bicycle, with a cage of pigeons on the front and the back, to fix someone's TV :p

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Surprisingly, I have actually asked my dad several times over the years if I could do that, LOL :p But in the next to last picture, see that lawnmower looking tractor thingy with the little trailer? That's my pigeon hauler until I get my license, haha. Except I don't know if I'd go any farther than across the yard with it :eek:

My grandpa had a TV/radio repair shop at home, and my dad would be the one trecking across town, on his bicycle, with a cage of pigeons on the front and the back, to fix someone's TV :p
ROFL!
Becky... I can just see you riding around in one of these racing to get your pigeons to the release point

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
OR this LOL

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:p
I could see me getting a few feet on that thing before falling over, haha. The birds would probably think they're riding on a limo, as much as that thing is stretched out :p

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHA
pigeons riding in style...
thats what in talking bout!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
...LOL..... thats funny.:D....I love that grizzle bird, Im into grizzle right now. If you ever have any extra grizzle babies I would take them.:) oh the bedding looks fun for the birds, I know when I put out more than normal pine shavings they love to lay in them.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Your birds are looking good Becky. I'm sure they LOVE the straw! 5042's baby does look just like her.
We were looking at a map this morning trying figure out where to take the birds. There's no roads up here to get us where we need to go...just back country roads that wind for miles and miles and go no where fast.........:rolleyes:
This year should be very interesting for flying YB's. :eek:

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spirit,
I love grizzles too :) They're so pretty.

Renee,
Yeah there's not many straight roads this year for us to take either :eek: I need to look and see how far exactly certain places we go are, so I can plan releases between them if need be. If we're going to have to go all over the country just to make up some miles, we might as well pick some places where we have more reason to go. Like my sister's house. She lives in Statesville. And all but one of our club members lives up that way. Heck, the majority of the combine lives up that way, so maybe I'll just visit people while we train :p

·
Registered
414 Posts
Very nice, i always enjoy getting to see other flyers birds. Your whilte grizzle looks like just some of the my white grizzles from this year (maybe they are related)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I too enjoy seeing pictures of others' birds :) Then again, I think the majority of us here are picture hogs, always wanting more to see :p
And you never know, they could be long lost relatives! :p

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Looks great. I always fill up a big bag of straw off the (clean) ground at the feed store, I figure they owe me a bag of straw every week! :p:rolleyes: And they don't mind. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts