Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry, i'm a little bit PO at the moment.
anyway, since i've captured adolf and put him back with his parents (MD was really relieved but those agro pigeons that visit my house don't like me very much as i had to trap them all in a cage for a few minutes to extract him. the scabs are still healing ;)
a lot of things have been happening.
my neighbours, who many of you may know to be irascible and thoughtless have yet again done something really stupid and really thoughtless.
i have one of the meat pijjies that they used to own but they still had the other until now. :(
as i have mentioned, my useless neighbours have a cat. so one day, while the poor thing was stuck in a COCKATIEL cage. so i was walking past and saw cat pawing at cage. shooed it off with a stick.
few hours later, the cat is pawing at cage, and i shoo it off again.
when i arrive home form work the cage is open and i see a blood trail. i follow it, my heart sinking. and at the end i see a this bald bird, still breathing with one wing torn of completely and there is a lot of blood. i pick it up and it is now wheezing and it is literally screaming in teror.
i feel that it is going 2 die yet i still ru**** into the car and off to the vet. and when i arrive, the pigeon is barely breathing and when i finally get to the vet, it has died. i feel so guilty. and REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate that cat!!!! :mad:
so i came home, and my pesky neighbours asked me where their bird was. seemed to me likle they had sneaked into my garden and followed the trail. that's where i found them, anyway. i told them, albeit angrily, that thier **** cat had got to it. and they don't believe me. they accuse ME of killing their bird.
really angry now, i start ranting on about how much they traumatise their pets and tell them about how i hate them releasing rats in my yard and how their cat is always leaving dead mynahs on my driveway.
the result: they leave silently and th next day i find SEVEN dead mynahs outside my driveway.
i find three rats hiding in my laundry and there are three missing bags of safflower that have dissapeared from the feed shed. so it's partly my fault for not taking care of that cat, but i really don't like it how they have such little respect for birds.
it angers up my blood. any suggestions on how to mek them see sense?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. That is terrible about the poor bird. I guess animal control won't do anything?? I hope things get better around there. :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dont harm the cat for doing what it does naturally, hunt. Its your horrible neighbors for not keeping their cat indoors and leaving pigeons within reaching distance of a cat.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sorry about that. just keep it together; good luck.:( (and remember it's not the cat's vault.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
What a dreadful experience. You are doing your very best in an exceedingly difficult situation, and it's certainly not you who should feel guilt; quite the contrary. So very, very glad you have saved the other pigeon from them! And you handled the dying bird with kindness; small comfort, perhaps, but somehow a better thing, and all you could do in this case. Alas, I don't know what the answer is, but good thoughts to you!

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
If its not to late get pics, if you ccan't get them for animal abuse this time, there will probably be a next time. They sound like real stupid people.
Dave

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
when i arrive home form work the cage is open and i see a blood trail. i follow it, my heart sinking. and at the end i see a this bald bird, still breathing with one wing torn of completely and there is a lot of blood. i pick it up and it is now wheezing and it is literally screaming in teror.
I am certainly not making light of the situation, but I've never heard a pigeon scream or make any noise for that matter, despite how injured they were. :confused:

i REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate that cat!!!! :mad:
Don't take your anger out on the cat. It appears to be your neighbors lack of responsibility that initiated the tragic situation.

Dont harm the cat for doing what it does naturally, hunt. Its your horrible neighbors for not keeping their cat indoors and leaving pigeons within reaching distance of a cat.
Exactly!

Here is what you do:
Get a live trap. Catch the cat. Take it to a humane society as far from your home as possible.
That doesn't seem to be very sound advice.
Just a thought . . .
What if the cat has an ID chip?
1) Whatever 'far away' humane society the cat was delivered to would wonder WHY the cat wasn't taken to a local shelter.
2) I'm sure the owners would be notified and the cat returned.
3) Then there would probably be questions directed at the disgruntled neighbor. :rolleyes:

Cindy

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would of coverd the cage with something and then let the owners know the cat was harrassing the bird, and then just hoped they would do something about it, we don't have any control over others stupidity, unfortunately.:(

·
Registered
875 Posts
sorry, i'm a little bit PO at the moment.
anyway, since i've captured adolf and put him back with his parents (MD was really relieved but those agro pigeons that visit my house don't like me very much as i had to trap them all in a cage for a few minutes to extract him. the scabs are still healing ;)
a lot of things have been happening.
my neighbours, who many of you may know to be irascible and thoughtless have yet again done something really stupid and really thoughtless.
i have one of the meat pijjies that they used to own but they still had the other until now. :(
as i have mentioned, my useless neighbours have a cat. so one day, while the poor thing was stuck in a COCKATIEL cage. so i was walking past and saw cat pawing at cage. shooed it off with a stick.
few hours later, the cat is pawing at cage, and i shoo it off again.
i feel that it is going 2 die yet i still ru**** into the car and off to the vet. and when i arrive, the pigeon is barely breathing and when i finally get to the vet, it has died. i feel so guilty. and REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate that cat!!!! :mad:
so i came home, and my pesky neighbours asked me where their bird was. seemed to me likle they had sneaked into my garden and followed the trail. that's where i found them, anyway. i told them, albeit angrily, that thier **** cat had got to it. and they don't believe me. they accuse ME of killing their bird.
really angry now, i start ranting on about how much they traumatise their pets and tell them about how i hate them releasing rats in my yard and how their cat is always leaving dead mynahs on my driveway.
the result: they leave silently and th next day i find SEVEN dead mynahs outside my driveway.
i find three rats hiding in my laundry and there are three missing bags of safflower that have dissapeared from the feed shed. so it's partly my fault for not taking care of that cat, but i really don't like it how they have such little respect for birds.
it angers up my blood. any suggestions on how to mek them see sense?

thanks in advance!

omg!the more i hear about these a**holes(sorry excuse language im angry)the more it angers me,,,can you perhaps report them for not taking adequate care of their pets????cats are predators(even our fat lazy iggy likes to try and stalk birds)can i suggest a "scardy cat"its a model cat for garden with staring red eyes which light in dark,,it looks like an angry aggressive cat,and cats hate em!its harmless,wont hurt cat of any critters who come into garden,but may be enough to scare it away from your birds,cats also hate citrus smells,lemon,orange etc,sometimes leaving some strategically placed peel or some cotton balss soaked in orange or lemon oil may deter him,i am so glad you have the meat pigeon,im sorry to hear of the other ones fate,thats so sad

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy_pied_chic

I am certainly not making light of the situation, but I've never heard a pigeon scream or make any noise for that matter, despite how injured they were.
Sorry for theconfusion- i was really wound up at the time. It was wheezing by the time it saw me, but in its relative terror it must have mistaken me for a cat or something....because its wheezing just got louder and louder and increaingly louder until we reached the vet, where he didn't have enought air to wheeze and was having difficulty breathing. :(
Anyway, whenever I see the cat now i just prod it back to ny neighbour's side of the fence. It likes to sleep in a tree that is quite close to my house- and i got the shock of my life when i was typing away a few weeks ago and saw this big hairy cat face staring at me. ;)
Anyhow, I couldnt get a picture of the bird, and i'm not really sure that reporting this to a humane society would be a good idea. I guess that it wasn't really the cat's fault. And it seems to hate it's owner's kids just as much as i do...they pull its whiskers and yank its ail so often that it's learnt to run away when it sees them coming. :eek: ;)
Anyway, i've got to go. Writing later.

·
Registered
875 Posts
these kids have NO respect for animals really,,and should not have pets! the parents must be pretty dumb,,they keep getting animals for these kids to abuse and annoy,,makes me crazy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, they drive me c-r-a-z-y too. Heck, they were the ones that *literally* killed powderpuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts