I hope you guys enjoy

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Nice! One of them is definitely not a homer! Hahaha. So you keep droppers?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah only two atm
I want some old german owls :)
that one you see there is a Seripham

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
A dropper is a bird you release on race day to bring your racers in quicker. A lot of birds get a little paranoid when landing and take longer, so having a dropper shows them it's okay to land. Usually the droppers are Satinettes or other owl breeds, but it can be anything really, as long as it doesn't love to fly. You want it to go in quick.

Nice looking babies Ed! :) Future champs I hope!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Nice pics, I enjoyed looking at your darling babies and birds. Those chubby little dumplings asleep together in the bowl is just too cute, they are definitely growing to big for the paper bowls.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
A dropper is a bird you release on race day to bring your racers in quicker. A lot of birds get a little paranoid when landing and take longer, so having a dropper shows them it's okay to land. Usually the droppers are Satinettes or other owl breeds, but it can be anything really, as long as it doesn't love to fly. You want it to go in quick.

Nice looking babies Ed! :) Future champs I hope!
Thanks Backy! The name makes total sense then, lol. So the idea is to have the dropper outside when you expect your birds to fly in from a race and I will assume that you would have to continually take the "dropper" bird outside of the loft until your whole team is trapped? I have a clutch of Dragoon eggs that will hatch later this month so I can try then out as droppers since I won't be entering them in any shows anytime soon.:)

Henry

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes golden you have the idea
you take the droppers and put them in a training basket and keep them outside with you while you await your birds return
when you see one coming home you take a "dropper" and toss him towards the loft makign sure the returning bird can see it and that kinda convinces the returning bird its safe to land and enter the loft :)
it works pretty good if your droppers are well trained and enter the loft quickly
I have a buddy in my club that hates his droppers LOL
they dont drop ... they tend to want to fly around a bit and it really makes him angry LOL!!!
I was at his loft once when the OB team was returning and watched one of the droppers fly around when he was supposed to be coming in
boy oh boy did my buddy CURSE
hahahahahahaha

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Great looking birds Ed! A well trained dropper, can mean the difference between 1St and forth... I did not use them, because i had so many Trees around, my birds were just about on the board before i saw them! lol! Dave

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Great looking birds Ed! A well trained dropper, can mean the difference between 1St and forth... I did not use them, because i had so many Trees around, my birds were just about on the board before i saw them! lol! Dave
I KNOW the feeling..........:rolleyes:
I don't use them either.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Good looking birds Ed. I haven't taken any pictures in a while. Need to do that, course I don't have any more babies..........:(

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Trees are not abundant were I live but we have a lot Joshua trees they arn't tall at all so a dropper might work out for me.:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts