Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like PPMV is giving some hardship amid the feral Flock here ( 'my' feral Flock, my various pals, in other words, who I have fed every day for 24 years now...)

Oye...in the last three days, three PPMV ones, one a grown up mature looking fellow who aside from 'twirling' and unable to fly, does not seem bothered one bit...he was out among the grazing flock, trying to peck, then ended up just twirling and twirling, so, got him scooped up, and in his own Cage in the Quarenteen area, to see how things go.

He can eat if from a deep Cup, so...

Then, two fledgling age ones, and for them the PPMV is usually pretty bad...lost one already, both terrible twisted and terrible head twisting, thrashing...

The one still with us, I have him gently wrapped like a 'Burrito' ( he seems to like this) and propped up in his Cage, at least his digestive system is working ( the other one, nothing was passing and he had been starving prior, both had staved and dehydrated).

This one was very starved and emaciated, dehydrated...found him faintly flopping on the ground. Since rehydrating and giving initial meds yesterday, ( seems like Canker and some other infection in addition to probable PPMV, and an injured infected Eye ) getting plenty of poops now, so, upping the Chow.

Unless gently wrapped in the 'Burrito' and propped up at a slight angle, he will just thrash...Head is twisted around almost a full turn...one Leg pulled 'in', the other Leg extended out straight.

Today rounded up an older Pigeon, probably male, good weight, but a Seed-Full static Crop, and sage 'green' puddley urates...open Beak breathing, too weak to stand ( found him roosting on a ladder top outside)...had him seven hours now, and no poops yet.

Tubed in some Meds...fingers crossed.

Anyway, seems like my Week for some rough customers.

Wish us luck!

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
632 Posts
Good luck with your patients, Phil! Hope the disease will stop striking, or you won't have enough hours in the day to tend to them all. Fingers crossed!
My Sammy defied all the usual prognoses by being totally unable to feed himself for 6 months!!! He can eat from a deep feeder now, but I still only trust him with a very narrow water container, so his beak will fit in but his head won't. Mind you, he had started improving a lot after worming, so I think worms played an important part as well.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Wishing you and your new rescues all the best, Phil!

Haven't seen any PPMV here in Antwerp yet, but I also don't get around so much either. Have wood pigeons (up to five of them) and turtledoves (two to four of them), and some blackbirds and a jaybird here in the back garden feeding daily.

Cooler here than in Las Vegas.

Larry

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm so sorry you are dealing with an outbreak of PPMV. I hope your patients have a speedy recovery from hereon in due to your intervention.

Thank you for helping our most neediest of pigeons.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your Well-Wishes!

I had spotted another probably PPMV one yesterday, and I know this Pigeon, they are TINY! and had been a tiny for their age Orphan fledgling some months ago, who I raised, socialized to his Wild fellows, and, released. He had been a successful Wild/Feral Pigeon for quite a few months, and I would see him every day.

Anyway, got him rounded up...he would take off and have pretty brutal landings or sudden changes of direction, scaring the heck out of me!...seems no worse for wear thank goodness, and, in a Cage now where those viccisitudes will not be an issue for the time being.

He is a youngish Adult, so, who knows, maybe he can weather through it.

Also, spotted a Fledgling, probably a today-debutant, swollen Throat, open Beak breathing, Crop half full of Water and Seeds...got him rounded up and am waiting for him to calm down before doing a detailed exam. He was pretty freaked out about being corned and rounded up and so on, so..let him calm down a little while.

Oye...

The probable PPMV/Canker/Other-infection also 'Thrasher' pre-adult post fledgling age one, has been peaceful today, yet alert and responsive, so I have him set up merely in a soft trough of rumpled Cloth now where he stays put alright...his one good Eye ( Other Eye might end up alright, hard to say yet ) has that 'Happy' look, so I would say, from what I gather, he is feeling a lot better.

I dare not feed or water him generously, for fear of him getting into some weird position and aspirating, so...small 'soupy' meals...well paced for passing.

We'll see from here!

Phil
Lv

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Yikes, Phil!!

I'm so sorry to hear about all the pigeons having these problems! Wonder what's happening?

Don't know if would help but maybe half carrot juice/half water?? Here is why I suggested this...

Carrot Juice

This was passed onto me by several members of the club & friends, I believe it was originally posted on a WOE site. It's a very interesting article.
This may be of interest to a few.....Some of the readers are aware that I actively participate in the racing sport. When shipping birds to a race, often 3500 birds are entered and the watering system (trough) will tend to service 4-500 birds each. Thus, often a recipe for disease.
A few months ago, my race team came down with Circo Virus. Those that are not aware of this disease, it can be very deadly, primarily hitting young birds. It is similar to AIDS in humans, it completely shuts down the immune system, making the birds in danger to any infection that is normally kept in check. The disease being a virus, has no cure yet when the disease runs it's course, the birds are not carriers, unlike salmonella. Those that have problems with Circo, treat for secondary infections, coccidia, typhoid, etc. Of course, the medications place further strains on the birds. Generally, one tries to replace fluids as much as possible and one treatment is give the birds Pedialyte or even Gatorade. Incidentally, all birds are vaccinated for PMV and typhoid at 4 weeks, again at 10 weeks.
I lost about 8 young racing homers, 3 Modenas and nearly 40 Voorburgs. The disease took a toll on the Voorburgs, they apparently were just more susceptible. I lost almost all the young birds, save those that have been recently weaned.
Treated for the secondary problems, cleaned daily, changed the PH of the water, added vitamins and probiotics regularly. Yet, daily, one or two more birds would come down with the disease (confirmed by the Cal State Lab and Dr. Zollars in Indiana) The samples sent were negative for salmonella, PMV, Adeno, cocci, & e.coli.
In a conversation with a friend from Norway, he reported that a woman in Sweden has recommended treating bird viruses with carrot juice! She is not a pigeon fancier and I think I was told she may be a gypsy from one of the Eastern Countries. (Hungary?)
Apparently, she raises other types of domestic birds or fowl. Of course my reply was, "Really, you know that doesn't make sense, one can't treat a virus!" His reply was, "Don't kill the messenger, I'm just repeating what some of the Europeans are doing for Circo, PMV and Adeno." OK, but after loosing nearly 50 birds, one often gets desperate and will try something that goes against conventional wisdom. One young bird loft had continual problems, the other lofts had either old birds or much older youngsters and were not infected. The birds that became infected were generally between 8 -12 weeks of age. Additionally, I kept 4 youngsters that normally would be dispatched that were desperately sick. Circo places a huge demand on the kidneys, a great amount of urea is produced and the birds rapidly became dehydrated and emaciated. Within 3-4 days, they are so "down" they are incapable of walking. Within 12 hours they die. So, I took the advice, made a 50/50 blend of carrot juice and water. Held the very sick birds to the drinker and gave the same blend to two lofts. This was on a Sunday, in fact July 5. I repeated holding the birds to drink about three or four times that day. The next morning before work I noticed what I thought was a slight improvement but fully expected the birds to be dead upon my return from work. Later, the birds appeared brighter, they no longer closed their eyes and while they could not walk yet, they were definitely improved over the day before. Also, no sick birds in either of the two treated lofts. On Tuesday, I was surprised to see the very sick birds try to eat and definitely the treated lofts showed an improvement. Only held the birds twice to drink since I went to work that day.. Tuesday evening, the sick birds were standing and tried to eat on their own. Wednesday morning, were eating and the responded well to offerings of safflower. I continued with the carrot juice until Friday and one week later, a visitor would not be able to tell which birds were sick. Of course, their weight is still down, but all are recovering nicely and next weekend they will be removed from isolation and join the community loft again. They were eager to take a bath last Sunday and fly readily to perches in the isolation cage.
So........A couple of ideas here....The disease actually ran it's course and was in the final stages anyway.......or, my constant good care allowed survival of the fittest. Or?????does the beta carotene that is high in carrots acts as some blocking agent to a virus? Do carrots, high in sugar content and carbohydrates contribute to a recovery process? Is there something else? Ironically, I spoke to a racing homer fancier who's wife is a Chinese physician that specializes in Eastern remedies and life styles. I told him of the above and he rather smiled and said, "Of course, carrots have been used for years for viruses as well as other vegetable products". He indicated that this is a treatment for PMV and Adeno as well and apparently used readily in Europe and the Far East. So, I cannot comment more on the subject, makes little sense to me...but, if the birds even faintly look sick, carrot juice will be in the mix. just sharing some findings, don't kill the messenger.
Posted by Bob Cook, Member of the AZ Pigeon Club in the AZPIGEONCLUB Newsletter-Jan 2010

Wishing ALL THE BEST WITH LOVE, HUGS and SCRITCHES
Shi

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I'm so sorry your flock is going through this, Phil. Thank you for helping them and good luck with all that you end up taking in.

We just got hit here in So Cal last year with PMV and Paratyphoid at the same time in flocks. What a sad, sad thing to have birds coming in that had PMV and Paratyphoid at the same time .. very, very nasty stuff. Many were able to be saved but many were not.

Terry

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Shi!

Good mention...I will try it.

I used to make fresh Carrot/Celery Juice and put out Cups of it...the Doves seemed to like it best, but others would sip and savor also.

I will go to the Store to-morrow and get fresh Carrots and set up the Juicer.

Just too pooped to-night.

Thanks!

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks Terry!

Little 'Peanut' havng what seems to be the PPMV, is in with the 'Twirler', and they seem to be getting along fine, standing literally right against one-another, facing the same way.

'Peanut' is having some trouble pecking, so, might do some visits with Mr. Tube and Seed-Pops.

Canker Debutant ( who was not really old enough to fledge, but, I suppose ended up out of the high Nest because he was so ill) has a pretty heavily obturated Throat, and lower esophagus, his Crop felt slushy when caught, but, seemed empty-enough now, so that's good...a few tiny poops, flat water-color looking Urates, so...tubed in Meds, and will tube in some thin chow later before I hit the hay.

Could be his Crop is not stopped, even if his Throat and esophagus have major blockage/debris. somehow mom and dad must have got some Seeds and Water on through, so...glad for that.

'Thrasher' has been pooping well, and relaxed in his soft cloth 'trough'...having had more chow to-day than yesterday, and, he will have more to-morrow than today, I was just afraid to push it very far, seeing as he had been so starved and weightless-thin.

Eeeeesh, I bought a case of pediatric Catheters and dozen 10 cc Syringes not long ago, all Syringes are worn out now so I tossed the few which were sterilzed and in the good to go tray....found a few odd ones though still in wrappers, so, good for now.

Have to go hit the medical supply place to-morrow.

Also, I had forgotten, but I was hoping to find a source of small quantities of Potassium Arsinate, UPS or high-grade if possible, as this was found to alleviate symptoms of PMV in Hawks, and, with no legacy, even if they had been terrible serious star-gazers and all round twisters and Head under their Legs peek-a-boos...but, needs to be done sort of earliesh in the illness, so, may try getting some on it's way to-morrow, and try it...still time if no heavy delays on it getting here.

Last I recall, one pretty well has to run off with the Rent Money for that one though...so wish me luck, I will put on my best schmoosing Hat.

Nightynight...

Phil
Lv

1 - 11 of 11 Posts