Pigeon-Talk banner
729 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Colombina 
#1 ·
Hello! I would like to get some help with this young bord I have found. One of its eye is covered by this yellow discharge it hardens up, but if I try to wipe it with water it gets softer and changes colour, but doesn't come off. Very sticky staff.
He was very poorly and depressed when I have found him. Got him vitamins and an antibiotic eye drop that helped clear the other eye. Got him tablet for one eye cold too. And found some antibiotics on ebay.
I would like to let him go, but not sure what to do with the other eye or why is it shut.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

#4 ·
Looks like pox to me. You will need to isolate him and give supportive care until the growth has dried up and fall off. This will take a couple of weeks and he might develop some more growths. Boost his immunity with vitamins, probiotics and pure natural apple cider vinegar in the drinking water. The acv you can give twice a week, 5 ml to 1 litre of water.

#8 ·
Hi, I totally agree with Mercedes.

A blind eye means a blind side and so inability to see predators and to escape from them, to see cars, etc. It would be a serious disability for a bird living in the wild. He would not survive for a long time.

You could adopt him or look for a family for him.

#9 ·
Unfortunately I don't have the space to keep him a lot longer. I have treates him and my neighbour lend me a parrot cage. Sanctuaries won't take him because of bird flue in the UK. I have asked a guy who has a loft he said it has canker and needs to be put down.

#11 ·
Please do not follow that inappropriate advice.
If he really has canker you can try to treat him. We will be glad to give you all our help.

As you can't adopt him you could look for a home for him. Here you can find the link to the Facebook UK pigeon rescue and protection group:

You could meet someone located in your area interested in adopting a disabled bird or at least able to help you somehow (advice about where to get canker med or what else).

Here you can find the link to the international Palomacy group:

If you can't find a family for him (which would be the best option), as a last resort you could release him into a flock once recovered, it would always be a better option than euthanasia. Killing a bird only because disabled is a cruel option. I know that he has a serious disability but at least he would have a small chance...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.