Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This little fellow is a young Nighthawk. They only come out after dark, most people will never see one except for a flicker as they fly by. They eat flying insects (moths, gnats etc.) notice the little wiskers he has - they are so fast and quick they actually catch the bugs in flight, they fly around and anything that touches those whiskers gets sucked right into his mouth. What happens to these young little gys is they get caught in a thunderstorm downpour and get driven to ground, once that happens they get too cold to get airborne again, their muscles just freeze up and they usually end up as raven food or cat food. But some painter guy was putting down his tarp and found this guy on the ground and he had brains enough to get him on a heating pad and it looks like he will be fine after a week of good food and warm safe place to recover.

NAB :)

Notice the little wiskers

Their almost bat like except they have Hawk wings and feathers.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
That is awsome! what beautiful feather colors...never heard of one before now, thanks for sharing this bird with us.:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Wow.:eek: Before I got pigeons I loved hawks. I was even asking my parents if I would get a falcon.:rolleyes: But after I got pigeons my love of hawks faded...........fast! I guess I still think they're amazing birds though.:)

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
What a cute guy.
Glad he will be fine.

Reti

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Nab, you never cease to amaze me!

What a delightful little guy! AND, how very lucky he is! You certainly get the most wide variety of birds and animals...THANK GOODNESS for your help!!

AND, thank you for extending our knowledge of birds and animals most never see!

Love and Hugs
Shi :)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Aww, he's cute! I've seen them zipping around just before dark, but of course all they look like at that point is a black shadow of a bird.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Gee he's cute. I had never heard of one before now. I'd like to see one zipping around. Thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
508 Posts
cool

Hey birds+me=happy, thats cool that you liked hawks,(I love them!) but this bird is actually not related to birds of prey. It is not a raptor like a falcon, and it dose not have tallons.(just feet).
BUT IT IS STILL A COOL BIRD! I see them every evening over my house!

"Nighthawk" is just a common name.These birds are very closely related to nightjars and Whip-poor-wills.;) But don't stop loving hawks! (even if they do "like" pigeons a little to much!):D

Thank you for sharing this Nabisho!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts