Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peggy and Peter flew down from the eaves for their morning visit with me. They've got a squeaker in the nest right now. He/she just started squeaking yesterday. When Peggy landed on the porch, she brought an egg down with her. I don't know if it fell out when she landed (?!) or if it stuck to her foot/wing?? The whole thing was quite weird. Anyway, it cracked upon landing (I think) and the contents spilled out. I took a picture and now I'm wondering if it is a baby in there or if it's already hatched and they've got a new baby on the nest. I hope this pic doesn't upset anyone.... that's not my intention. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what's going on here?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
looks like it was a leftover from before and has gone bad as it did not hatch, it probably has been in there from the time she laid it with the other that has hatched, usually they lay two, so this one did not hatch and went bad, not sure how she got it out of the nest but that is a good thing, perhaps it was tucked in her brooding area under her tummy and fell out when she landed. I know when I have had to pick up one of my dove hens sometimes an egg is tucked tight in and it drops when I pick her up, but that is a dummy egg, so I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Spirit Wings. That makes sense. I would hate to think it was an accident. The contents and the yolk that spilled was a dark yellow/gold colour.... it did not look like the nice bright yellow that I usually see, so I'll bet that's what happened. It was a bad egg to start.

·
Registered
875 Posts
one of our hens "laid"egg while in flight recently,same deal,we dunno if egg was stuck to her hindquarters or feathers in that area,but egg was not fertile

·
Registered
265 Posts
One of my pigeons had an egg that had got a small break on the shell; I left it in the nest with the good egg as it was close to hatching time, but later in the day when she flew up to one of the perches the leaking egg had got stuck to her feathers and hung their for a while until it fell off to the floor. It sounds like your egg had gotten rotten and gooey and did a similar thing.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
That egg was thrown out by the bird because it broke some time. I notice that they will pick up egg shells and throw it away from the nest.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm sorry you lost what should have been the other baby. That's too bad. So sorry. But congrats on the other squeaker.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Rod, I am constantly finding empty (hatched) shells at the bottom of the nest that they've thrown out, but I'm surprised Peggy would have the ability to toss a full one. It flew about 3 feet in the air before landing 6 feet down! I went back out to get it and it was mysteriously gone?!

Well not much I can do for that little guy but I will get to enjoy the other one that's getting bigger and more vocal every day :)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
You will be surprise on how much they can carry. Although I have not measured how heavy a stick was, I decided to give it to them to see if they can carry it to their nest and sure enough they can. Just like the picture you showed me, I saw one of my bird throwing that. I thought it was impossible, but with my own eyes I got disproven. Obviously they can't throw whole egg, but once they can grab broken eggs it with their beak, they can try. They can roll them, too, outside the nest box. Just for fun:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDntbGRPeEU

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You will be surprise on how much they can carry. Although I have not measured how heavy a stick was, I decided to give it to them to see if they can carry it to their nest and sure enough they can. Just like the picture you showed me, I saw one of my bird throwing that. I thought it was impossible, but with my own eyes I got disproven. Obviously they can't throw whole egg, but once they can grab broken eggs it with their beak, they can try. They can roll them, too, outside the nest box. Just for fun:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDntbGRPeEU
Oh I love that video! Thanks for that! I was rooting for that guy throughout the video: 'get the box, get the box, move it over, come one, you can do it' LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts