Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Dewormers. There are various natural dewormers like fennel, flax, thyme, neem, ginger, garlic, carrot, tamarind, turmeric, black seed, pineapple, papaya, coconut and onion.

If that bird is an indoor pet, I would be wondering where the bird got that worm...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thank you so much for your help! Already gave her flax seeds :)
Each of the different natural dewormers do different things. Some interfere with the worms ability to reproduce. Some kill the worms, or at least make them ill. Others cause temporary paralysis of the worms so that they can't hold onto the intestinal walls with their mouths. Shredded carrots cleans off the mucus lining of the intestinal walls, taking paralyzed worms with it. Turmeric actually helps to repair any damage the worms may have done to the bird's intestines.

Just out of curiosity, have you given the bird anything that might have killed that tapeworm? Could also have been bacteria that killed it.

Thank you for taking her in and caring for her.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Did you give the bird flax after the tapeworm was out, or before? Something killed that worm and I'm wondering what it was.

Pigeons eat about two ounces (two to three tablespoons, which is about 7 teaspoons) of food per day, so for ginger or turmeric give one to two teaspoons of chopped bits with the bird's regular food each day. Wash/rinse the root one time when you first start using it. Cut a 1/4" thick slice from the root, peel and chop the slice into seed-sized (1/4") pieces and sprinkle with cumin powder, cinnamon, paprika, or chili pepper powder for flavor along with extra vitamins and minerals too. The remainder of the root can be stored in a refrigerator in plastic wrap, or a covered dish. The feral pigeons outside eat all the veggies that I give them. The formerly feral pigeon who lives with me eats some of her veggies on some days but not always because she isn't starving and is free to pick and choose whatever she likes from among her daily seeds and veggies. Don't be alarmed if the bird ignores new foods for a few days, or never eats all of it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thank you for posting that!

"From the data obtained, it was observed that the silver nanoparticles exhibited significant vermifugal potential and demonstrated paralysis as well as death of worms in a time comparable to the standard drugs used. Control worms were alive throughout the experiment. The highest concentration of silver nanoparticle solution (1000 ppm) produced paralytic effect much earlier and the time to death was shorter."

^ The research was done on earthworms, not specifically tapeworms, but still very interesting.

There doesn't seem to be a thorough explanation of the mechanism by which silver would kill worms, especially given that silver is found throughout the environment. But I did find a report describing a chemical reaction that occurs when silver is exposed to oxygen, which causes some bacteria and also some enzymes to break-down. So perhaps the silver directly affected the tapeworm, or perhaps it changed something else (balance of different types of bacteria maybe) in the intestinal environment of the bird, which then resulted in the death of the tapeworm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts