Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I told you guys that I have got a pair of pigeons who laid eggs. This is I guess the 4th day of incubation. Today I observed that the female pigeon was not walking properly. This happened when she changes her shift with her mate.

Her left wing was droping down and she was almost dragging herself. Se was not standing at all and was just still on her belly with legs folded. She was active yesterday but today she was very lethargic. I can't tell for sure if she is eating properly because the whatever feed I gave in the morning was eaten but not sure if she had anything or not OR her mate ate most of them. I saw here drinking water.

I can not see any visual injuries. I didn't let her out in the open as well so no question of some predator attack. Her poop looked normal. Green White thick paste.

She was not walking or moving even when I tried to push her. Just went up to check and found she is sitting on the eggs.

Can you guys tell me if this is normal since most of the time she is sitting on the eggs or I should be worried and what needs to be done. I have another pair who are incubating and that female is active and normal.

Thanks
-> Sushil

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
When you have nesting birds, you MUST HAVE FOOD AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES! When the couple change places from the nest, there must be food for the bird that's coming off the nest. The same is true when they are feeding young.
If they don't have enough food, that causes stress. When a pigeon is stressed, it is more vulnerable to dormant illness.
I don't know for sure what's going on with this bird. It could be what I have just told you. It also could be from a lack of calcium in her system. Laying birds need lots. If they don't have it, it's difficult for them to produce the egg and lay it. Often an egg can press on the sciatic nerve, which is painful and causes leg paralysis for several days.
Please make sure your birds have both oyster shell and grit each served in separate dishes and available every day.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Charis, even I am not sure what's wrong with her. Yes I do have food and water available in plenty for them all the time. It may be the nerve thing you stated. Does that gets rectified automatically?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Do they have oyster shell, or some form of calcium and grit available?

It should get better on it's own but it is extremely painful.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Charis,

I don't have oyster shell, but I am giving green moong which is rich in calcium and grit is available with them.

-> Sushil

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Charis,

She's looking a little better today. She's still limping a liitle but much better than yesterday. She's eating and more active today.

-> Sushil

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Phil,

As of now I am feeding them Green Moong with little bit of Barley and Bengal gram.

Thanks
Sushil

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Charis and Phil,

She is recovering good. Today she was not limping and was very active. Saw her eating and drinking water as well. However she was not giving full load on the left leg. I guess in another few days she'll be completely ok.

-> Sushil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts