Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through MickaCoo, and I have decided that I wanted a Pigeon. Is it okay if the pigeon's housed by him/herself and you give them lots of attention? And I don't exactly know where to look for already mixed pigeon feed/pellets. x3 I prefer pellets though. And does anyone know any nice books for taking care of (King) Pigeons? 'Pigeons : everything about purchase, care, management, diet, diseases, and behavior' is mainly about the other breeds of pigeons, and I couldn't get that much info from that. D:

Thanks~ n-n

Oh - I'm pretty new to this place, so please excuse me if I'm doing something wrong. :x

·
Registered
297 Posts
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/doves/
There are also many threads on this site that can helpy you out too, all you need is the time to research. And yes, a pigeon can be housed alone, although I do not take single birds on trips to the park for releases, whenever you take birds for releases remember there are saftey in numbers. A single/straying pigeon is a target.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Hi Tuffies and welcome to Pigeon-Talk! There are actually quite a few single (meaning only one pigeon in a household) pigeon pets here. If you look in the Pet Pigeon forum, you should find some very helpful posts. As to care and housing, there are literally thousands of posts here on those subjects. I'll see if I can have one or two people who have adopted a SF King (MickaCoo bird) post back to you here.

I think you would be most delighted with a pigeon as a pet.

Terry

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'll send you some information.
Please consider adopting rather than purchasing. A lot of birds need homes.:)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi, Tuffies-

Thank you SO much for your interest in adopting a rescued pigeon! I received your inquiry to MickaCoo and I'm thrilled to see that you've come to Pigeon Talk! This is the BEST place to get support and info regarding pigeons and their care. And it's very nice to see a potential adopter doing their homework. :)

Caring for king pigeons is not very different from other pigeons. They're bigger than most other pigeons, less athletic and active than many and calmer and more easy going in general. It's not safe to let a king pigeon out to fly (especially alone!) so, since you're planning on keeping your pet inside, you'd want to have a nice size home-base cage for your pigeon plus give it time outside the cage (but inside your home) to fly a bit and to socialize.

If you or your family are home most of the time, then a single pigeon will likely get enough attention from you to be happy. If it would be home alone all day while everyone's at work, then having a pair would be better.

In any case, I'll sign off for now and let the Pigeon Talk experts guide you. You've got my email and you know that MickaCoo has lots of wonderful pigeons available for adoption. You could even go to Andy's Pet Shop in San Jose to meet young kings Ella & Will and mated couple Johnny (homer) and & Wendy (king).

And again- THANK YOU for adopting!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, we'll all be home for most of the day except for school hours. c:

Would it be okay to take your pigeons outside on those pigeon pants & leash though?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh - and so the supplies that you need to buy for a pigeon are a cage, food, food/water cups, grit, and pigeon pants (if you want). Anything else I'm missing? c:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yup, we'll all be home for most of the day except for school hours. c:

Would it be okay to take your pigeons outside on those pigeon pants & leash though?
YES- Journey our rescued King from Elizabeth LOVES his LEASH... and he loves to go for walks... We give the neighbors LOTS to talk about!.:p..LOL.. But Journey loves it! ;) If you order from PT member Boni... she custom makes the suit to fit the bird... so it fits them Perfectly!

Oh yea- Journey loves his toys... he has a tiny stuffed puppy that he carries EVERYWHERE, along with several of the kitten balls with the bells in them... He loves his toys and will defend them ALL! So you might think about getting a few and see how it goes. Some love them and some turn up their beaks...

I can not express to you how much I love MickaCoo- and Kings make great pets. Feel free to PM me if you ever need help, I'd be happy to share what I have learned!

Also, even for a single bird I can attest that they love a nest... we use a plastic dog food dish for Journey, I end up cleaning it a lot...lol... or you can use a basket. Either way they love them.:D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Tuffies, Elizabeth and Jenn are totally right when they say King pigeons -or any pigeon - make wonderful pets! I also have adopted two Kings from Mickacoo (Elizabeth) and strongly recommend them. They are a very caring and a very helpful group of people. Pigeons have different personalities just like people. They are so funny . . . so entertaining. You will find yourself just sitting around watching them any chance you get. You will find yourself smiling a lot more too! :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
if you succeed the bird will sit in the book self and wont say to her/his mate"look the human pass"..it will flap its wings happily and say"our friend came"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YES- Journey our rescued King from Elizabeth LOVES his LEASH... and he loves to go for walks... We give the neighbors LOTS to talk about!.:p..LOL.. But Journey loves it! ;) If you order from PT member Boni... she custom makes the suit to fit the bird... so it fits them Perfectly!

Oh yea- Journey loves his toys... he has a tiny stuffed puppy that he carries EVERYWHERE, along with several of the kitten balls with the bells in them... He loves his toys and will defend them ALL! So you might think about getting a few and see how it goes. Some love them and some turn up their beaks...

I can not express to you how much I love MickaCoo- and Kings make great pets. Feel free to PM me if you ever need help, I'd be happy to share what I have learned!

Also, even for a single bird I can attest that they love a nest... we use a plastic dog food dish for Journey, I end up cleaning it a lot...lol... or you can use a basket. Either way they love them.:D
XD Journey sounds adorable!

o3o Oooh cool~ a dog dish sounds like a pretty nice nest. x3 I prolly won't be able to go to the feed store as often, so if it breaks or something, it'll be easier to find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tuffies, Elizabeth and Jenn are totally right when they say King pigeons -or any pigeon - make wonderful pets! I also have adopted two Kings from Mickacoo (Elizabeth) and strongly recommend them. They are a very caring and a very helpful group of people. Pigeons have different personalities just like people. They are so funny . . . so entertaining. You will find yourself just sitting around watching them any chance you get. You will find yourself smiling a lot more too! :p
Great! x3 I wanted something like a dog, but then they're more attention-seeking and cost much more and kinda just /blindly/ loyal. xD And a pigeon sounds just right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts