Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Soon to be 2 dovely gals, I'm so excited c:
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just recently found a pet shop that is selling ringneck doves and decided that I was gonna save up for two females ^-^ I don't know if doves and pigeons are too similar behavior wise but that's why I'm here.
1. Should I have two feeders just in case the females don't wish to share? Or is one feeder acceptable? (I have a large, no mess feeder for larger birds like parrots)
2. I wish to make them hand tame, and I'm aware that treats are definitely a great place to start. I'd like to hear what safe snacks/treats you guys feed to your doves? (Fruits & veggies count of course)
3. I am aware that female doves will lay eggs regardless of whether there is a male present or not, and I'd like to help them when they start to lay. Do grit, gravel, and oyster shells all come together? Or are they separate foods? This might seem like a dumb question but I don't wanna miss out on buying them the proper product(s) they need. If anyone has recommendations on a product or products they use, then that'd be much appreciated c:
4. Do doves need apple cider vinegar like pigeons do? Or is it unnecessary for them? (If they do require it, how much should I portion into their water and how often should I provide it daily wise?)
5. I know that pigeons and doves are a bit more simple when it comes to what they need in order to be entertained, but should I get the doves any toys or perhaps allow them to forage outside their cage? I do not wish for them to become bored.
6. Should I get them a nesting box and/or bowl? I'm not sure if they might compete for a nesting spot to lay their eggs. And if I should provide a nest/bowl, should I provide two separate ones for them, or will they share like chicken hens? (And is there a particular nesting material that doves prefer to use?)
7. Finally, I plan on buying multiple flat perches since I know doves/pigeons tend to walk more than climb and grip, but should I buy some stick based perches aswell? Or do they not care for it?
"That's all for now. (I might have future questions for when I bring them home-) For those who sat and read through this entire essay, thankyou for your patience ❤ I apologize if any questions sounded ignorant or anything along those lines, I really want to be prepared before I get these girls. If there are any questions that can't be answered, then that's totally fine! Any help, if even just a little bit, is greatly appreciated!"

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Two females will probably form a couple in the absence of a male. You can stick to 1 waterbowl and 1 foodbowl. As treats, you can offer them chopped up raw unsalted peanuts. But in moderation, as this have a high fat content.

Oyster shell grit is very good, you can offer to them in a seperate bowl and they will help themself to it. You will also need liquid calcium with added Vit D3 to prevent them getting eggbound. I assume you will be keeping them indoors. A general vitamin supplement will also do them good.

You can put apple cider vinegar in their drinking water twice a week. The ratio is 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. You can provide them with 2 nesting boxes, if they form a couple they will only use one. Those small round reed baskets will work well. Spending time outside the cage will also do them good. Give them a variety of perches, and see which ones they prefer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two females will probably form a couple in the absence of a male. You can stick to 1 waterbowl and 1 foodbowl. As treats, you can offer them chopped up raw unsalted peanuts. But in moderation, as this have a high fat content.

Oyster shell grit is very good, you can offer to them in a seperate bowl and they will help themself to it. You will also need liquid calcium with added Vit D3 to prevent them getting eggbound. I assume you will be keeping them indoors. A general vitamin supplement will also do them good.

You can put apple cider vinegar in their drinking water twice a week. The ratio is 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. You can provide them with 2 nesting boxes, if they form a couple they will only use one. Those small round reed baskets will work well. Spending time outside the cage will also do them good. Give them a variety of perches, and see which ones they prefer.
Thankyou so much for the help! And I will be keeping them indoors so they'll be out of the cage most of the day once they get settled in c: I'm glad I only need one food bowl, that'll definitely save money! I'll take all this advice and put it to use, thanks for responding ^-^

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hi, welcome to PT 😊!

Here is another thread about doves, you could find there many advices:

I'm used to give to my birds a complete vitamin supplement (vitamins, amino acids and trace elements), just to give you an idea here you can read its composition:

I add to it a water soluble calcium supplement.

My birds don't eat crushed oyster shells. They love pigeon picking blocks (see the pics), they are good sources of calcium, depending on what you buy they could also contain other ingredients like anise, clay, insoluble grit (the small stones), etc. I leave always available crumbled block (in a separate bowl from food) and also a whole block. If you are interested, I can give you more info. Another option is cuttlebone (you only have to cut it in small pieces with scissors and leave it available in a separate bowl from food).

My birds don't eat fruits and vegetables (my vet suggested me to give them some apple, etc. but.. They ignored them 🙄).
You could add to the dove/pigeon mix and to the dried legumes (the ones for humans that you can find at supermarket: mung beans, small lentils, etc) a mixture for canary containing dehydrated fruits. All my birds love it!
Only sometimes you could give them as treat a small piece of biscuit (something simple, without chocolate marmalade, etc. See the pic). You only have to crumble it with your fingers and put it in a separate bowl from food or sprinkle it in from of them.

You could hang to your curtain rail a small wicker basket: I discovered that doves love so much hanging baskets! You can see a picture in the other thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, welcome to PT 😊!

Here is another thread about doves, you could find there many advices:

I'm used to give to my birds a complete vitamin supplement (vitamins, amino acids and trace elements), just to give you an idea here you can read its composition:

I add to it a water soluble calcium supplement.

My birds don't eat crushed oyster shells. They love pigeon picking blocks (see the pics), they are good sources of calcium, depending on what you buy they could also contain other ingredients like anise, clay, insoluble grit (the small stones), etc. I leave always available crumbled block (in a separate bowl from food) and also a whole block. If you are interested, I can give you more info. Another option is cuttlebone (you only have to cut it in small pieces with scissors and leave it available in a separate bowl from food).

My birds don't eat fruits and vegetables (my vet suggested me to give them some apple, etc. but.. They ignored them 🙄).
You could add to the dove/pigeon mix and to the dried legumes (the ones for humans that you can find at supermarket: mung beans, small lentils, etc) a mixture for canary containing dehydrated fruits. All my birds love it!
Only sometimes you could give them as treat a small piece of biscuit (something simple, without chocolate marmalade, etc. See the pic). You only have to crumble it with your fingers and put it in a separate bowl from food or sprinkle it in from of them.

You could hang to your curtain rail a small wicker basket: I discovered that doves love so much hanging baskets! You can see a picture in the other thread.
Thankyou ^-^ I appreciate the links and recommendations. I'll definitely look into the pigeon picking blocks, I haven't heard of them until now. The pictures and links are much appreciated too, they helped answer some of the questions I hadn't thought to ask! I bought a few baskets for them so I'm glad to know they might just enjoy it without a fuss. C:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're welcome 😊.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Much obliged ^-^ I don't have any more questions for now, but that might change when I actually bring the doves home! Thankyou for taking the time to answer c:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts