Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys! within the week i will be a new pigeon mommy.
i have had birds in the past, but this will be my first...exotic?

i will be purchasing my racer/homer from a reputable breeder near me. it will be a black eagle with janssen blood.
however this is a very new experience.

ive asked all the below listed questions to the breeder and have also looked up information online, but of course other opinions are always a big help.
so thanks in advance to any and all of you who provide whatever info you can.

-i am looking to have a single pigeon for the time being due to living in a large apartment, but may consider more when i move into a house in the next 2-4 years. what are some opinions on having a single pigeon as a pet? please know it will be provided with tons of attention and only be kept in the cage when no one is home or there is cleaning being done around the house.

-i have a fairly large bird cage to keep it in (dont remember the exact measurements but its a good size for an active conure). what do you guys thing? again, it will have tons of out of cage time.

-training? i live in new orleans, which even if youre not from here, you know is a very busy city. what are some recommendations on going about doing this. i will be getting a fairly young one so is it best to start trainging inside the home? any tips? tricks?

-the breeder i am getting it from will be giving me a bag of his homemade blend and discuss food with me. but im open to other suggestions as well to keep a happy healthy bird.

-wing clipping? depending on training and life style what are opinions on keeping wings clipped? (yes i know this prevents flight, obviously)

-ive own cockatiels growing up so im familiar with basic bird care. as far as pigeons go, whats different when it comes to care and cleaning?

as ive said, ive asked the questions to the breeder and have done some research online but everyone's opinions are different.

hope to get some feedback soon.
thanks!!

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Would not clip his wings but would also not let him fly anywhere near any open window or the outside. Remember that it may take him awhile to settle in and to trust you too. Would provide flat perches, toys, grit. Welcome to the world of pigeons! Hope you will post a photo.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
The bird should not be trained to go outside. A lone pigeon is usually lunch for hawks. Just not safe. He should be flown inside only. Clipping his wings isn't necessary, just don't leave any doors or windows open. And be careful when you are cooking, that he is confined so he doesn't land in a pan of boiling water or a hot frying pan. You don't train them like you do a parrot. If he is young, he will get used to you more easily. If handled badly, or not handled at all by previous owner, then it will be more difficult if he is an older bird.
Just be around him a lot, talk to him softly, and offer treats to him. Eventually he will get used to you. Pigeons don't generally like to be picked up. They like to come to you when they want to. The idea is to get him to want to do that. Patience so that he learns to trust you is how that is accomplished.
As far as cages go, A pigeon needs a wide cage, more so than a high cage. They need to be able to flap their wings to exercise, and maybe a shelf a little higher up to perch on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips you guys!
I do want to race him so badly with the groups out here. Even though he's a single pet should that still be ok?
What are good treats you guys recommend?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thanks for the tips you guys!
I do want to race him so badly with the groups out here. Even though he's a single pet should that still be ok?
What are good treats you guys recommend?
No, by himself he is a target for predator attack, pigeons should be flown in at least, groups of 6 (easier to train and safer for birds). They should also not be homed somewhere else by previous owner, as Jay mentioned and more! Please check our training sticky threads in the homing pigeon section, that will help give you an idea on how training is done.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
As was mentioned, single birds are not raced or trained to race. Many people who train their birds for racing lose half of them by the time racing starts, just from hawks or birds getting lost. Many more can be lost in racing. Believe me, you do not want to race him.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Agree strongly with what others have said. If you love your bird would not race him. Half get lost or eaten which is so very sad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts