Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I noticed that one of my rescue pigeons was retaining water in the Crop and looked a little lethargic.

I removed him from the loft and isolated him to better assets his condition.
I checked his Crop and I noticed that he had a few grains and once I gently press on the crop I noticed that water will come out of his beak.
I research online and it seems that his symptoms were similar to Sour Crop. I read that at times the bird will emit a funky odor from the Crop but my bird did not have any nasty odor and had no signs of Canker anywhere in the beak or the visible areas inside.

This bird is a rescue that I found about two years ago walking on the side walk of my neighborhood. He was fighting over food with some wood pigeons and looked unhealthy with a hunched posture and a saggy Crop. I picked him up and brought him home. With love and care he became the boss of the loft and seems very healthy till now... I am not sure how old he is but when I first found him my impression was that he was an old Bird.

Anyways back to the matter at hand… AS per online Instruction I gave him some water with Baking Soda, Some water with apple cider vinegar, I gave him some apple sauce, mineral oil, I gave him some medication for Canker, I gave him some medistatin and he was not getting any better; his crop was full of water and he was resting it on the floor of the cage because the weight was probably bother his back..

I decided to take him to the vet yesterday and he proceeded to perform a Drain and flush on the crop, gave him some injection of B-complex, Dexamethasone, and Iantraconazole and sends him home with Bactrim and Iatraconazole. He told me to feed him soft food for the next couple of days and monitor him… After he got home he pooped for the first time in days but the poops was very green as a sign of malnutrition/starvation and very little but at list if a positive sign because he had not pooped for 3 days because he was not taking any food beyond his crop…

I have posted a copy of the Medical bill for the record and I will love to hear your advice on the matter...

I haveKaytee baby formula and apple sauce I will like to know if this is proper nutrition for the next couple of days. I will hate to give him grains and risks have the grains stock on his Crop again…

Thanks in advance and all comments are welcome.

I posted this information in my old thread but I felt more people will respond to it if I created a new Thread on the matter and maybe this information can help others in the future.. I hope I don't offend the moderators..

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Hi Joe,
Nothing to be offended at all. I thought to separate that one but since you aren't a new member, I thought you know everything about how to post and did it deliberately so I didn't do it, but just guided what was better for getting more replies. Thanks for accepting the guidance.

For sour crop, it is better to feed them on Kaytee with apple sauce to get the crop moving. Adding ACV to drinking water also helps in slow crop.

For the treatments you have done so far like canker, candida etc. I hope you have completed the full course of medicines to see the results?
Wish your bird recovers soon.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hi Joe,
Keep him warm and separate from the others for now. The Kaytee and applesauce is good, but baby applesauce without all the sugar in regular applesauce would be even better.
I know about high avian vet bills, as I recently received one for over $300 and the poor bird could not be saved. OUCH! I'm glad you brought him to the vet. I don't remember if you crop feed or not. I would feed less and more often for now. Don't want to over work the crop.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Joe, hope the bird does well. Yes, vet bills are expensive. Chloe just cost over $400 today. So I understand how hard it is. Am still paying off Phoebes surgery from months ago. But we love our critters and would likely move into a trailer and eat cat food, to make them happy and healthy.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sour crop is a term used to describe blocked crop. When a crop gets blocked, the food fermentates and releases gases and foul odour, but in first days there may not by any smell.

The blockage may initially have been caused by different things, like an enteritis (inflamation of small intestine caused by pathogens like coccidia, e. coli etc) which doesn't let bird assimilate solid food. Other causes can be the bird eating too much grit that remains in crop (or / and in gissard - blocked gissard) or ingesting an object that blocks the passage from crop into gissard. Some websites say canker nodules can also block the crop.

No matter the cause, the blockage usually gets complicated by the food that comes later and quite probably by candida that starts to grow. Sometimes, a ball of food (and other matter found in crop) and candida appears.

The greatest problem in such a situation is the water that accumulates in crop. If the bird has an enteritis, she loses water rapidly and feels the need to drink. In some cases, the water is still able to pass, in other, neither food and water can rfeach the gissard. The problem comes from that the crop filled with water leads to the liquid easily go up in mouth, enter the trachea and suffocate the bird.

So any pushing of the crop must be prevented, wither caused by your handling, or the bird falling onto his crop etc. The bird must be prevented from filling his crop with water and the excessive water must be extracted with the tube used for crop feeding.

The situation is very serious and you have to act fast, as if candida appears, it grows rapidly. I use to give birds water with lot of acv (1 /10 or more) three times or more / day. The bottom of the crop, just above the edge of chestbone, must be very gently massaged as often as possible, in order to disrump the accumulated food and other debris.

·
Banned
569 Posts

I noticed that one of my rescue pigeons was retaining water in the Crop and looked a little lethargic.

I removed him from the loft and isolated him to better assets his condition.
I checked his Crop and I noticed that he had a few grains and once I gently press on the crop I noticed that water will come out of his beak.
I research online and it seems that his symptoms were similar to Sour Crop. I read that at times the bird will emit a funky odor from the Crop but my bird did not have any nasty odor and had no signs of Canker anywhere in the beak or the visible areas inside.

This bird is a rescue that I found about two years ago walking on the side walk of my neighborhood. He was fighting over food with some wood pigeons and looked unhealthy with a hunched posture and a saggy Crop. I picked him up and brought him home. With love and care he became the boss of the loft and seems very healthy till now... I am not sure how old he is but when I first found him my impression was that he was an old Bird.

Anyways back to the matter at hand… AS per online Instruction I gave him some water with Baking Soda, Some water with apple cider vinegar, I gave him some apple sauce, mineral oil, I gave him some medication for Canker, I gave him some medistatin and he was not getting any better; his crop was full of water and he was resting it on the floor of the cage because the weight was probably bother his back..

I decided to take him to the vet yesterday and he proceeded to perform a Drain and flush on the crop, gave him some injection of B-complex, Dexamethasone, and Iantraconazole and sends him home with Bactrim and Iatraconazole. He told me to feed him soft food for the next couple of days and monitor him… After he got home he pooped for the first time in days but the poops was very green as a sign of malnutrition/starvation and very little but at list if a positive sign because he had not pooped for 3 days because he was not taking any food beyond his crop…

I have posted a copy of the Medical bill for the record and I will love to hear your advice on the matter...

I haveKaytee baby formula and apple sauce I will like to know if this is proper nutrition for the next couple of days. I will hate to give him grains and risks have the grains stock on his Crop again…

Thanks in advance and all comments are welcome.

I posted this information in my old thread but I felt more people will respond to it if I created a new Thread on the matter and maybe this information can help others in the future.. I hope I don't offend the moderators..
Yeasts like and grow on sugar so anything with sugar in it should not be given. I usually use nystatin, which is an anti fugal medication that is used to treat oral and gastrointestinal tract candida. If you already mentioned it in the above sorry, I just skimmed over the post. Iam not a Doctor, just an opinion .

The vet bill seems normal and in order, nothing outrageous . (I'm a private business with in a vet hospital and have been in the past an employee of a vet practice for over 25 years.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Andrei, he is going to give the bird formula. That doesn't need to be massaged, as it won't clump up like seed would do.

And the vet did send him home with an antifungal.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your help and support without the advice of Jay and all of you helping my rescues will be an impossible task.
Today Joro looks a lot better than he did yesterday. I fed him Formula together with the medication prescribed by the Vet together with some Vitamins and Boosters I had purchased before.
His crop is not full of water anymore and he is started pooping yesterday a little green but today the dropping look solid and healthier.
I will keep him Isolated for the next couple of day or till his 7 days medication treatment is concluded.
I think after the medication I am going to treat him for Worms and Coxi and I am going to keep on giving them the ACV.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AndreiS

Thank you so much for your advice... I have read your post on the matter and they have helped a lot …
I gave him the Mineral oil and the ACV and I hope that it helps as much as the Doctors crop flush and medication...
Thanks for your contribution.

Sour crop is a term used to describe blocked crop. When a crop gets blocked, the food fermentates and releases gases and foul odour, but in first days there may not by any smell.

The blockage may initially have been caused by different things, like an enteritis (inflamation of small intestine caused by pathogens like coccidia, e. coli etc) which doesn't let bird assimilate solid food. Other causes can be the bird eating too much grit that remains in crop (or / and in gissard - blocked gissard) or ingesting an object that blocks the passage from crop into gissard. Some websites say canker nodules can also block the crop.

No matter the cause, the blockage usually gets complicated by the food that comes later and quite probably by candida that starts to grow. Sometimes, a ball of food (and other matter found in crop) and candida appears.

The greatest problem in such a situation is the water that accumulates in crop. If the bird has an enteritis, she loses water rapidly and feels the need to drink. In some cases, the water is still able to pass, in other, neither food and water can rfeach the gissard. The problem comes from that the crop filled with water leads to the liquid easily go up in mouth, enter the trachea and suffocate the bird.

So any pushing of the crop must be prevented, wither caused by your handling, or the bird falling onto his crop etc. The bird must be prevented from filling his crop with water and the excessive water must be extracted with the tube used for crop feeding.

The situation is very serious and you have to act fast, as if candida appears, it grows rapidly. I use to give birds water with lot of acv (1 /10 or more) three times or more / day. The bottom of the crop, just above the edge of chestbone, must be very gently massaged as often as possible, in order to disrump the accumulated food and other debris.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Joe, after medicating, I would wait a bit to worm or treat for cocci. Give a few days of probiotics and let him rest. Wormers are toxic and are hard on a bird to begin with. Shouldn't be wormed if not well. Give him a couple of weeks. These meds will be enough for now. Then he needs a break before treating with more.
Also wouldn't give him oil.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Agree with Jay.
Pls keep us posted on his progress.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello everyone,
This morning I checked on Joro to give him his 12 hours medication and I noticed the same problem again.
His crop was full of water; I had left him about two inches of water with ACV on his drinking trade last night and he drank it all. I am not sure anymore if the medication prescribed by the doctor is working or his momentary improvement was as result of the Mineral Oil I was giving and the Batril treatment I was giving him before I took him to the Vet and I was told to discontinued because it could create negative effect with the other medications.
I will monitor him for the next 24 hours and if I noticed the same issue again I am going to take him back to the Vet...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You can't leave him with water. You need to offer it to him a few times a day. Always offer it after he eats, and maybe in between, but you can't leave it with him as he will fill up on it. Birds with canker will sometimes do that. Also, canker can cause a blockage in the crop so that things don't go through. He probably has canker.
Was there a reason the vet thought he needed an antifungal, but not a canker med?
Did he look at the crop contents under a microscope?

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Joe, hope Joro is all better soon! Did the vet check for an abscess or canker? Our youngster Chloe is being treated for a deep throat abscess and has had droppings and water in her crop like Joro. She is on baytril and metronidazole. Will try kaytee and applesauce with her like you are giving Joro.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The vet did not test the content of the Crop because I had given the Bird Baytril for three days and he said that it was very likely the antibiotic will cause a possible false result that I needed to wait 7 days before testing. He wanted to charge an extra $100.00 to test the best and send the test to a Lab but he could not warranty the results because of the antibiotic.
He said that Fungal Bacteria causes the bird to drink water excessively.

You can't leave him with water. You need to offer it to him a few times a day. Always offer it after he eats, and maybe in between, but you can't leave it with him as he will fill up on it. Birds with canker will sometimes do that. Also, canker can cause a blockage in the crop so that things don't go through. He probably has canker.
Was there a reason the vet thought he needed an antifungal, but not a canker med?
Did he look at the crop contents under a microscope?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Joe, hope Joro is all better soon! Did the vet check for an abscess or canker? Our youngster Chloe is being treated for a deep throat abscess and has had droppings and water in her crop like Joro. She is on baytril and metronidazole. Will try kaytee and applesauce with her like you are giving Joro.

Sorry about your bird....

No he checked the crop and said that he did not feel any solid masses and that all he felt was fluids...
I have medication on my cabinet and I treated for Canker Metronidazole 100MG 1 tablet for two consecutive days... My concern is if the water is not going down his system the antibiotic is probably staying on his crop.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the Apple sause and Kaytee has kept him alive and he was pooping better for a day but now he is back to retaining water in the crop..

How many times a day are you treating with Baytril and Metronidazole? Was it prescribed by a doctor?

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Joe, am giving Chloe Baytril and metronidazole twice per day. Was prescribed by the vet. The culture and sensitivity test was 171! Hope the results come back soon. Tried to get her to eat. She ate five defrosted peas but acted like it hurt. She took about 2 cc of kaytee plus applesauce but I was afraid she was going to aspirate and she was fighting me a lot. Hope Joro is well soon. Am going to call tomorrow and find out if any results are ready. Will also try for a Sat. appt with the vet if she still seems to be hurting and is not eating. Am afraid maybe the abscess could refill with pus? Why is Joro retaining water in the crop? Does he drink a lot? The vet did a crop wash. Don't know if that was to flush food through?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.