Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Well, it has been 11 years since I first discovered this amazing forum in order to learn how to rescue and take care of a skinny and bedraggled fancy pigeon who turned up every day at my outdoor bird feeder...

Ever since then, he has been one of the very great loves of my life! And through the years, you have helped us so much, taught us everything and answered all the questions we had at every step of the way -- thank you!

Now, we have another question!

Dearest Pidge is now at least 12 years old. His lovely wife Jenny (who stopped laying eggs a year ago) may be a bit younger than he is, but she is also a mature woman...

Are there any aspects of their care that we should change to keep them healthier and happier in their older years, specifically? Does anyone have thoughts on or experiences with special care for older birds that you felt helped them live longer and better?

I know there are recommended changes for other pets (and of course people!) but do pigeons need different levels of protein, or any new supplements, a warmer room, or anything at all now that they are seniors?

Both are healthy, according to their last "well bird" vet visit. Pidge is an Old Dutch Capuchine and Jenny is an Oriental Frill.

Thank you so much as always for any ideas...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It sounds as though you are already taking good care of them for them to still be happy and healthy. Keep on with what you are doing. Where do you keep them. If they were cold, you could tell as they would puff up more. If they are fine then they must be warm enough. I'm sure you do give them vitamins and such.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds as though you are already taking good care of them for them to still be happy and healthy. Keep on with what you are doing. Where do you keep them. If they were cold, you could tell as they would puff up more. If they are fine then they must be warm enough. I'm sure you do give them vitamins and such.
Hi Jay!

Pidge and Jen have a room of their own in a spare bedroom. It's all theirs, so they can free fly. They have perches around the room, but their cuddle spot is the top shelf of a bookcase in a nest bowl.

We keep ou house a little on the cool side sometimes during the year -- at about 65-68 degrees.

As they grow older would they like it warmer than that, do you think?

We give them a vitamin/mineral supplement and CalciBird (calcium/D3).
They have a 12% protein pigeon seed diet, plus "pigeon candy" and other treat seeds, and always have access to mineral grit and oyster shell. They will also occasionally nibble at dried bird greens but unfortunately they will not eat any fresh fruit or veg. We still try and offer it from time to time, but have never had any luck.

Please let us know if you have any further thoughts on things that help elders or contribute to longevity. We love them so much and want to help them live very, very long!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Do you chop the veggies up to bite size? Mine love chopped up romaine, kale, or carrots.
They like chopped sprouts too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts