Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hand-raising 2 pigeons for a couple of weeks now for an animal rescue I'm involved with. One of them has always been considerably smaller than the other (we call the small one Connor and the bigger one Murphy) They are almost a month old. Since yesterday, Murphy has been eating solid food out of a dish, but Connor won't touch it. I'm quite worried because I dropped Connor 3 days ago, and for a couple of minutes he lost mobility in his legs... but he soon regained it. He seemed perfectly fine until this evening, but now he's all lethargic. I fed him a few minutes ago, and he ate fine, but he doesn't seem to have any energy. I'm scared that this is somehow related to his fall... could he have some sort of spinal infection from it that has only just now caused him him to be symptomatic? Could this have affected his growth? I'm keeping a close eye on him tonight; making sure he's warm and hydrated. I'm hoping to get him in to the vet tomorrow. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea of what could be going on? I'm going a little crazy.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Vayla, I don't think it would be a spinal infection, there usually would have to be a open wound/puncture to allow bacteria in to the spinal area for this to occur, but it could be related to the fall. Could have be a number of things that could have occurred as a result of the fall. Since you are going to get him into the vet tomorrow (I think this would be very important to do), so instead of speculating, let's see what he has to say. Connor should hopefully be alright until then. You are providing good support, so just keep him calm, so he does not aggravate things, and keep us updated on the vet visit.

Good luck with him,

Karyn

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
What are his poops and urates like?

Images? ( close ups, in focus...)

How did he hit the floor when 'dropped'? What part of him hit?

Phil
Lv

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Checked inside Connor's mouth? How are the droppings? You can always check
wings or legs by holding the bird's back to your body and extend the limbs checking to see if the bird can retract normally on it's own.
It's not out of the ordinary for birds to develop w/different internal clocks.
Being concerned is natural, see what the vet has to say.

fp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts