Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a baby about three weeks old with a spayed leg. Is there treatment and how. His sibling died coming out of the shell and he looked fine five days out when I banded him but I left him alone with mom and dad and did not notice the leg until today. Any advice would be helpful.

Tony

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hello I have a baby about three weeks old with a spayed leg. Is there treatment and how. His sibling died coming out of the shell and he looked fine five days out when I banded him but I left him alone with mom and dad and did not notice the leg until today. Any advice would be helpful.

Tony
We've got another member with the same problem. Mind just reading through the thread? We'd tell you the same things. Pictures would be nice. Is your baby as bad as his?

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=36556

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've got another member with the same problem. Mind just reading through the thread? We'd tell you the same things. Pictures would be nice. Is your baby as bad as his?

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=36556
OK, I read all the links and the vet was very helpful. I use the cardboard nest so they are not slick but he was raised an only child so overfeeding might be his issue. He was banded at five days and today I put his colored band so I know by the color of the band which parents are his. Having two bands helped. I could pull his legs to one inch apart and he doesn't seem in pain. I used hospital tape between the two bands holding the two legs an inch apart. The one ankle in turned slightly outward but he seems ok for now. The two bands help with circulation because I taped to the bands not the legs. I put a towel around the nest with a hole in the middle for his feet, but his weight is held up by the towel. He is good for now. I moved him into the house and will move the parents in with him tomorrow.

Thank ya'll for the help and I hope the other post's bird is ok. The swelling on that bird looks like bad circulation.

Do not fault us for missing this. Other than banding I try to leave Mom and Dad to the job of raising the young, and when I check on them Mom or Dad did a good job of hiding his leg until today. I now know to pick them up and check once in a while.

Thanks again,
Tony

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sounds like you did a good job. His legs will probably be fine soon. I'm glad you found it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Good luck with him, Big T; I haven't had to deal with this problem yet, but am learning heaps from everyone else's experiences. It seems to be one of those things that can just happen, so it is only a matter of time before I'll be taking on 'Pigeon Nursing 101', I guess!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I learned from this is pick up the young at least once a week to check them out. I assumed he was ok by just looking in on him and that Mom and Dad had it under control.

He is getting fed by Mom and Dad and his legs are tied together an inch apart. He is just is having a hard time moving but doesn't seem to be in pain, and I keep checking his feet for circulation. Hopefully he will be better soon, I feel sorry for the little guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.