Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bird, Cabo, is 5 weeks old and has a splayed leg. After watching a youtube video on how to use electric plastic cables to fix a splayed leg, I gave up and graduated to using nonstick medical tape. The man on youtube seemed to be an expert and was able to snap it on his nonsplayed bird with ease but it was difficult for a novice like me which is why I started tapping Cabo. It was working for awhile until he learned how to break off the tape so I just retape his legs only to discover that his leg is still splayed! It's been only 5 days, no improvement and I guess I need to be patient. I've been letting him fly in the house but he has a difficult time with grasping with all his toes especially with his splayed toes. I've tried massaging his toes every day and trying to wrap his toes around a dowel. Then retape but he gets so impatient and wants to fly but I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself...I guess I worry too much and should let him be a bird and fly in the house. He loves regular grocery seed and I still feed him Exact mixed with baby veggie food at least once a day to keep up his strength. I just learned today from this forum that I need to give him Calcium D3 which I'll go online to find. Am I'm doing his treatment right? I'm new at this and I'm trying to "nurse" Cabo back to health. He's so sweet and never makes a noise like my other birds! Please give me advice.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
My bird, Cabo, is 5 weeks old and has a splayed leg. After watching a youtube video on how to use electric plastic cables to fix a splayed leg, I gave up and graduated to using nonstick medical tape. The man on youtube seemed to be an expert and was able to snap it on his nonsplayed bird with ease but it was difficult for a novice like me which is why I started tapping Cabo. It was working for awhile until he learned how to break off the tape so I just retape his legs only to discover that his leg is still splayed! It's been only 5 days, no improvement and I guess I need to be patient. I've been letting him fly in the house but he has a difficult time with grasping with all his toes especially with his splayed toes. I've tried massaging his toes every day and trying to wrap his toes around a dowel. Then retape but he gets so impatient and wants to fly but I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself...I guess I worry too much and should let him be a bird and fly in the house. He loves regular grocery seed and I still feed him Exact mixed with baby veggie food at least once a day to keep up his strength. I just learned today from this forum that I need to give him Calcium D3 which I'll go online to find. Am I'm doing his treatment right? I'm new at this and I'm trying to "nurse" Cabo back to health. He's so sweet and never makes a noise like my other birds! Please give me advice.
You really should start your own thread, as it will get confusing trying to answer both of you. I'll PM you on how to do that. But it will take longer than 5 days, and treating it earlier on does make it easier to fix.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I have moved your post to its own thread.

You need to tape at least for a week and then check the leg and re-tape. Keep the bird confined so he can't move around too much.

Please post a picture of the bird and leg with taping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm starting a new thread thanks to Jay3's help. My bird, Cabo, is 5 weeks old and has a splayed leg and a splayed toe. After 5 days of having a tapped leg, I unwrapped it and allowed him to fly in a room which made me realize how "disabled" he is! He wasn't able to hold on to anything, and experienced hard landings so I decided not to let Cabo fly around anymore since he might injure a wing. I've also decided not to return him to the coop until his leg mends. Yesterday I tapped his leg again (which made him immobile), placed him in a rectangular box next to a feeder and water. He's confined to a bird cage and just sits there watching me all day. I feel like he's totally dependent on me since I have to make sure he's eating and drinking. In the meantime, I'm afraid he's going to get bored and fat from not exercising. Is this the normal life of a rehab. bird? What do I do with his grasping problem? He doesn't seem to have the grasping instinct or do I have to show him? He still has a hearty appetite, drinks on his own, responds to touch, but he's very quiet. I guess being quiet could be his bird personality. :confused:

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm starting a new thread thanks to Jay3's help. My bird, Cabo, is 5 weeks old and has a splayed leg and a splayed toe. After 5 days of having a tapped leg, I unwrapped it and allowed him to fly in a room which made me realize how "disabled" he is! He wasn't able to hold on to anything, and experienced hard landings so I decided not to let Cabo fly around anymore since he might injure a wing. I've also decided not to return him to the coop until his leg mends. Yesterday I tapped his leg again (which made him immobile), placed him in a rectangular box next to a feeder and water. He's confined to a bird cage and just sits there watching me all day. I feel like he's totally dependent on me since I have to make sure he's eating and drinking. In the meantime, I'm afraid he's going to get bored and fat from not exercising. Is this the normal life of a rehab. bird? What do I do with his grasping problem? He doesn't seem to have the grasping instinct or do I have to show him? He still has a hearty appetite, drinks on his own, responds to touch, but he's very quiet. I guess being quiet could be his bird personality. :confused:
I moved your post to its own thread. Now, have merged the two threads.

Please see my response above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Splayed leg, toes

She has a very difficult time standing up and spends most of the day sitting on a towel. However, with her legs tapped she can hop and flap her wings. I will take you advice. Is there a video that can shows how to wrap a splayed leg? :confused:

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
She needs to be able to stand properly-with her feet flat on the ground, if not, you may have to make a support that will enable the feet to be flat on the ground.

Here is a video I found when googling, the baby chicken is standing on both fet while legs are taped:

http://www.petsadviser.com/pet-health/caring-bird-with-splayed-legs/. This youngster may not have had such a bad splay as your youngster, however the results need to be the same for the bird to get around.

Also, you need to give the youngster a calcium/d3 supplement in order for legs to gain strength to stand properly, if you haven't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
splayed leg, toes

Many thanks for the chicken video and I will be more mindful of wrapping his legs correctly. I really, really appreciate your advice because I felt so discouraged when I unwrapped his leg today only to find that it's still splayed. I will keep in touch later. ;)

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Many thanks for the chicken video and I will be more mindful of wrapping his legs correctly. I really, really appreciate your advice because I felt so discouraged when I unwrapped his leg today only to find that it's still splayed. I will keep in touch later. ;)
It may not work, or it may take a long time to correct legs, because the youngster is older, but never give up. The added calcium may make a big difference too.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
This would have been a fairly easy fix when he was very young. Now it will be harder. If you can tape the legs together, but with something for a spacer between them to keep them positioned properly it would be better. You can't just pull them up together against each other that way. Maybe a piece of sponge or folded gauze between them before you tape them. In a more natural position.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts