Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 squabs that hatched the 13th of may. One bird for sure has splayed leg. It's right leg will not stay underneath it at all, it lays straight out to the right.

How do I fix this?
Is this bird to old to fix this with out extensive work?

Any help would be great.

Mat

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Man.........why did it take so long for you to realize it? These babies are almost 3 weeks old............can you take some pictures? At three weeks, their legs have really grown into place I would think. Depending on how severe this is........it could hurt the bird to actually pull it's leg down into the proper place.............

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be completely honest, I didn't know what was wrong with it at first until I started reading about it a few days ago :eek:.

Here are a few pics.

What do you think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Wow.........you've got your work cut out for you.........pick the baby up, maybe have someone help hold it and gently bring it's legs down and together like they should be. See if the baby wiggles, squirms, etc.....like it hurts or does it act ok? If it's ok, you're going to need to tape up the legs ASAP and HOPE that they will straighten out in time.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It's not too late but the clock is ticking.
The legs look swollen too.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Just fix the problem. It might work. What is with the swollen leg though?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, it is swollen. After you get it taped up, you're gonna have to put it in a bowl of some sort with lots of tissue or something soft under it. You can't just leave it sitting on a hard flat surface. The legs have to be able to go down in the natural position. They can't do that on a hard flat surface. Or put him in a bowl with a small towel wrapped around him like a donut to keep him up, and keep the legs under him. Make sure if you wrap them, that it isn't hurting him. That leg is pretty bad.Here is one way to do it.Check out this link.
http://www.parrotparrot.com/splay/

·
Registered
857 Posts
To help avoid this problem in the future, make sure that the surface under the squabs is rough enough that they have good traction.
It looks like you might have kept their nest too clean.
Keith

·
Registered
96 Posts
spayed leg

Yeah i have a baby bird with the same problem its been hard i've had to replace the sponge or the tape i use every other day because when he poops in the bowl some of his poop is water and some is not. My bird is about 20 days old and i've been trying to fix the problem for a week now. His mom accidently got out of my coop with his dad but the mom never came back and the dad came back after 2 days. i don't know what happened to her but i usually don't let my birds out when they have babies so he was not getting feed correctly. I don't know if that my have caused the problem but he was also an only babies because the other egg never hatched.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the links. I put the foam makeup pad splint on it last night, and it seems to be doing okay. It appears to me that the leg is now turned out ward. Is that because of the splayed leg, and will correct it self with the splint as the leg comes back to it's normal position?

You folks are very observative, I have not noticed the leg looking so swollen until you guys pointed that out. It does feel a bit swollen right around the knee joint. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks

Mat

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Thanks for the links. I put the foam makeup pad splint on it last night, and it seems to be doing okay. It appears to me that the leg is now turned out ward. Is that because of the splayed leg, and will correct it self with the splint as the leg comes back to it's normal position?

You folks are very observative, I have not noticed the leg looking so swollen until you guys pointed that out. It does feel a bit swollen right around the knee joint. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks

Mat
I'm glad you got the splint on. I sure hope that the legs get corrected. As far as the swelling........it could be just simply because of the leg being turned at an odd angle for so long.
Can you get another picture of the legs now, with the splint? That way we can see what you mean by the leg turning outward.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay here are a few more pics after the splint, and the leg turning out ward.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
UMMMM.......don't think that's going to correct its self. Are you in a position to bring this baby inside and hand feed it? I think it's feet need to be tied together somehow, but if you do that, it won't be able to get around at all. I would worry about leaving it in the loft all bound up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UMMMM.......don't think that's going to correct its self. Are you in a position to bring this baby inside and hand feed it?
No, I am at work 6 days a week, and my wife won't touch the birds.
I have thought about trying to make another kind of splint to turn the foot back inward. I will let you know how it goes.

Mat

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you post a picture of the splint? Maybe something about the way it is on, is turning the leg. Renee is right, you may have to somehow tape the feet in the right position. But then he really couldn't be left in the loft. He would need to come inside. You need to be sure that it isn't hurting him to reposition his legs and feet to that degree. As it has been growing that way for some time, it could really hurt him. The brace or splint also have to be checked every day to make sure that the circulation is not being cut off. Wouldn't want him losing his leg or foot.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
No, I am at work 6 days a week, and my wife won't touch the birds.
I have thought about trying to make another kind of splint to turn the foot back inward. I will let you know how it goes.

Mat
Well, then you'll have to do the best you can. As long as it's kept immobile and the parents will feed it, you'll just have to see how this turns out.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Maybe if you keep him in a bowl in his nest box, with lots of soft filler in it so that his legs can go down straight. A bowl that he can't get out of, but that the parents can still feed him in. Can't have him falling all over the place. That might work.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
You need to get the legs and feet in the same position as the baby with the normal legs. they need to be folded under the body and taped together with feet inward and taped too.

You will need to get a bowl for the baby to sit in-not too tight, but enough to keep those legs from sliding out from under him and keep the feet forward. as a secondary support. Be sure to line with paper towels.

If you need help, I would not hesitate to find a rehabber or an avian vet at this point in time. This cannot wait any longer.

Your babies should be inside nesting bowls, you can get them from pigeon supply houses, they not only allow them support for their legs, but provide traction for them to keep a grip. Rubbermaid shelf liner will also provide a good grip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts