Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote last week to ask for help for a pigeon squab that had a splayed leg. We have bound the legs together, however the baby topples over all the time. His non-splayed leg slips underneath his body as the splayed leg pulls on it, and thus he topples in the direction away from the splayed leg. I just found him outside his next box but within the pigeon hole in a small space between the box and the wall of the hole, lifted him out and back onto his hay. I have pile up hay on one side of him to support the side that topples. But, he's not getting around very well, and I am concerned he'll eventually get out of the nest box and topple to the ground. Is there anything I can do?

He's had his legs bound for about two days now. So, I know it is not that long, however I do not see his legs really getting stronger and supporting his weight? The pigeon is about 14-18 days old I believe.

We are new to this, having been given the pigeons and we are trying to take care of them properly. I posted images already of the binding and the baby pigeon in another thread.

Best,
K

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You may have taped the legs to close together. As the baby grows, the tape needs to be adjusted. I check every other day.
The other thing that is helpful is to put the baby in something deep and more the baby's size to confine him. If you are living the baby with the parents though, that isn't the best way.
Another way is to make a donut shape out of an old towel. Bind the ends with duct tape to keep it together and you can also adjust it to make bigger when needed. These suggestions are in addition to taping the legs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Splay leg

I know that this photo looks like we're torturing these doves but it really does work if you tape the legs together and then harness the bird for a week or so, so that they can't use them at all.

We get so many of them in during the early Spring that we have to resort to DIY methods of taping the legs into position and keeping them together either with tape or with a rubber band (as here on the left). We then fashion a soft harness from a tea towel and hook them up to an overhead perch.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts