Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today the dog officer from a neighboring town brought me a piji about 3 weeks old or so.
i'm not convinced he is a feral could be a homer, much bigger than a feral of the same age, and very adorable
his little leg was sticking straight out to his side, i took him to the vet and he wasn't convinced that his hip was in socket but wasn't positive.
i'm busted financially from the baby season i had this year so i couldn't afford an x ray at this time.
we hobbled him with a sponge (toe seperaters) but his leg and foot still twisted to the right outward.
so i made a short soft perch and taped his feet to it in the proper direction, plus keeping him hobbled.
i wish i would have taken a pic before hand but i didn't think of it at the time.
i set him up in a donut but he doesn't want to stay in, and he will just fall on his face if i give him freedom to move about.
not sure if i am doing the right thing for him, and if this is going to be a painful problem for him the rest of his life or not.
i see lots of piji's that do just fine with one leg and my thinking is if i can at least get it in a better position he may be able to survive just fine if he's a feral, and i would try to find a home for him if he is a homer
i will try to get a pic of him in the t'mrrw any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Pigeon orthopedic leg frame

Why don’t you try to design something like this from large paper clip or similar wire? Side 1 goes to the twisted leg and bottom part is for fixing foot. Side 2 can either be fixed to other leg, or to the sponge. Add soft padding to avoid leg skin bruising and irritation. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I just fixed my woodie's leg, both legs were sticking ourt sidewards and they slipped further out when he tried to walk. I had made several failed attempts to tape it and also tried other thinks like the bendy straw and the sponge. Nothing worked.

Then I tried the tape again and suddenly it went well, the tape was in the right place and after a while he was able to walk on his feet (although they are twisted and need correcting). Today I saw him do a wing stretch for the first time.

he is in a small aviary with other disabled woodies and when he sees me approach he hurries away to hide, moving very smoothly and quickly!

Cynthia

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm not understanding how your diagram works plamenh.
sorry i wasn't on yesterday, my parents are in town and in between feedings i was visiting, still havn't found my camera.
i think what i have done will work i will remove everything on the 20th and see what happens, hopefully i won't have to tape him up again.
what i'm having the hard time with is keeping him in a comfortable position and getting him to stay put once i get him in the right spot! lol.
such a long time for the little guy to have to stay in one place just when he's getting to the age where they walk around and test those little wings.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ahhhh, i get it so you just tape the toes flat in position, i like it.
now i'm not sure if i should start over, i think i will give him a few days at least i don't want to undo any of the correction that has hopefully taken place.
i have pretty much accomplished getting the leg turned in the proper direction, just instead i took a piece of the big vine people use for thier reptiles it's soft and spongy about a 1/2 to 3/4" in diameter and taped his both feet in a perching position, instead of flat like your idea would do.
plus i used 2 toe seperaters to hobble his legs in between his ankle and knee, yours is simpler and one contraption.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
As many heads, as many ideas. This is a benefit of having this forum. One can allways pick some good idea or combine couple of them :D

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think like yours better, it will stretch everything out better.
now does the wire go on top of the foot or underneath? underneath right?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Green line is how frame should fit legs and feet. Red circles are points of fixation toes and legs.:)
Blue is same hobble just bit more curvaceous. Padding is compulsory of course.
Maybe you could use pipe-cleaners - wire and padding all in one!:)

·
Registered
200 Posts
hi, have to put in my 2 cents...I have been struggling with this too ....pipe cleaners are not strong enough for my case. when I got my pidge, his entire leg was straight out backwards. I have tried foam, and then medical tape...still iffy.

this wire method, how do you attach?? and stop pidge from getting out of it or tangled? what kind of wire?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i was just reading your post, as for me i think i am going to try a wire hanger then wrap it with vet wrap. i will tape him to it with paper tape because it's easy to remove by getting it wet and doesn't seem to irritate their skin or pull out feathers, then i will wrap the rest up with waterproof first aid tape.
i'll let you know how i do

·
Registered
200 Posts
i was just reading your post, as for me i think i am going to try a wire hanger then wrap it with vet wrap. i will tape him to it with paper tape because it's easy to remove by getting it wet and doesn't seem to irritate their skin or pull out feathers, then i will wrap the rest up with waterproof first aid tape.
i'll let you know how i do
please post pics if it goes ok!! I am so struggling with my little Tim....hes been so sweet and patient with the contraptions I keep trying on him . good luck!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
okay, been working on this little dude for the last hour, and i did take pics!!
it took a couple of tries but i think i got it, the part where i taped down his toes is a little big but it's working for now.
i set him up in the plastic tub with rolled towels, he is pretty much standing, i also decided to put a sock on him. i just found an old one and cut it to size and put it over his body to hold his wings down so he won't move around to much in there, i didn't get a pic of him set up now.
i took some before pics of what i did and some with the new wire method
everyone let me know if he may be a homer, he's much bigger than a feral of the same age

1 - 20 of 122 Posts