Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have an injured (or sick ?) pigeon on my hands.

I was out of town for about a week and a half and a few days into it, the gal who watches my birds while I'm away called and said it looked like one of my birds was hurt. One of his wings was dropping and he couldn't fly up to the perches.

I had her put the bird into a quarantine cage inside my house with feed and water there, of course.

After a few days, she let him back out into the loft, but he still wasn't able to fly and just hung out on the floor. Otherwise, okay, eating, etc.

Anyway, I got home last night and found out that the injured bird was Spot and in fact, he still was hanging out on the floor. I picked him up and examined his wings. I'm not 100% sure which one he hurt, but I'm about sure its the right one. It doesn't seem to be broken, at least not badly, but he doesn't want to extend it nor have it extended. He'll perch in my hand and not try to fly away, which is pretty much "not him."

I put him back in his quarantine cage with fresh feed, crushed peanuts and water. I've seen him eat a little and coo some... he can hear the other pigeons out in the loft... preen some. I figure I'll leave him there until I get home from work today and can take a closer look at him and observe him more closely. He seems a little light, but I'm thinking that's just stress?

Any ideas anyone??

·
Registered
13,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, Spot is still off his game. Still doesn't want to / can't fly. I have him in quaranteen. I've seen him eat a little, but not much for water. I'm considering treating profilactically for Salmonellosis / Paratyphoid, but all the meds I have are way out of date; 1 to 2 years+, so I don't want to use them.

I hope its not Paramyxovirus. If that, he's pretty well screwed.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
I would be more inclined to think it's coccidia and worms or one of the other. The only way you are going to know for sure is to take him to a vet. It would be a shame to treat him for salmonella if that isn't even the problem and after treamnet the problem remains.
Did you look at the link I sent in the above post?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you look at the link I sent in the above post?
Yes, I did, thanks.

I called the local pet Vet, but not much luck finding one that's interested in seeing a pigeon. They said they'd call back. We'll see.

Like I said, unfortunately all the broad band meds I have on hand are way out of date and I hate to use them. I've ordered up some fresh Medpet 4 in 1 from Jedds, but that won't arrive until Tuesday at the earliest.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Tim,

Good luck at the vet's with Spot. If the vet isn't exactly "spot on" with pigeons, be sure s/he checks for salmonellosis, e.coli, and coccidiosis as well as worms. I would think it highly unlikely that PMV is the culprit, but if it is, then Spot will likely recover just fine with your help.

Please let us know how it goes.

Terry

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spot goes to the Vet

Well, Spot went to visit the Vet today... and $458.09 later...

The Vet examined him. Nothing overt, no broken bones, boils, etc.

I also took along some fresh droppings Spot left for me in the bottom of his quarantine cage as well as another batch of droppings from the loft in general. The Vet said he'd send both off for a fecal exam / analysis / test.

The Vet also took some blood from Spot for a further analysis.

Hopefully, the results of both fecals and the blood test will be back in a few days.

In the interim, Spot is on rest and restricted activities within his quarantine cage. I can tell he would rather be in the loft.

Anyway, I have some meds in-bound from Jedds too, cheaper than getting them from the Vet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.