Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This pretty bird was on my patio 7/4/18 at 2:30pm. I went to give him some food - seeds and berries (there is water and wild bird food readily available in my yard, and he had been walking around, pecking), but a noise startled him and he flew off馃槩. I was able to get within four feet of him and he was okay with that. I know nothing about pigeons, but this bird was banded - blue bands on both legs. This is NOT a good night for birds and other wildlife - I hope he gets where he is going before the blasting starts. 馃槥. I wanted to post him (or her) in case someone has lost their bird and is looking. He was in my yard in Bay Shore, Long Island, NY from roughly 2:30pm - 3:20pm.

Attachments

Registered
Looks like a NY Flying Flight pigeon. I hope he gets home and isn't lost. Maybe some not too far from you. Hard to say. Pretty bird. Thanks for posting his picture. If you do get the chance to catch him, please do, and we can try to locate his owner.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Jay3 - thanks for the response and ID help. I did more research this evening and read that these birds love their flocks, so I鈥檓 guessing this poor little guy got separated from his and was lost. Heartbreaking 馃槥. Then of course it sounded like a bloody war once the fireworks and other explosives got going, so I can only imagine the panic that ensued. Should he return to my yard, which I kind of doubt (I鈥檓 sure the horrific booms and blasts had him disoriented and flying further away), I will try to get him and keep him safe until he can be reunited with his owner. I鈥檝e also contacted the Nassau/Suffolk Pigeon Fanciers Club and posted him on a pigeon rescue group on FB.

Registered
Well if he comes back maybe you can catch him.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
If he comes back I will definitely try to get him. It isn鈥檛 safe out there for him - lots of Cooper鈥檚 Hawks and other raptors around - plus other birds might harass him. :( I鈥檝e caught an escaped cockatiel and a canary in the past, so hopefully I will be able to get him if he does come back. No sign of him today, and I am pretty sure he panicked and flew far once the traumatic noise of last night began. Once I understood the terrible and deadly impact fireworks have on wildlife (as well as strays and domestic animals left outside), 7/4 became my least favorite holiday. :(. http://www.wideopenspaces.com/fireworks-wildlife/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts