Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi...
i am hand raising a little racing pigeon he is 15 days old today and looks as developed as a normal 5 day old chick. he is healthy though.... my concern is his legs. i heard of something calles spraddle foot? and if the bird gets it you have to kill it. this is when its legs dont get enough grip when it is growing and they kind of do the splits (i guess) all the time well my little one who i am not killing! has it ... his legs are always sprawled out, he was raised for the first week or so on toilet paper and then on sand from then on because many people use sand for nesting bowls (down here i guess) and it works fine but he doesnt seem to be improoving is this normal for a 5 day old chick(hes not 5 days old but is as developed as a 5 day old chick) because i am worried that it will cause him problems later on ... what should i do .
any advice is greatly appreciated thanks,

ryan

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Splayed leg is correctable so please don't kill the little guy. Actually, we never recommend killing.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Ryan,

Sorry about your little one .. you possibly have several things going on:

1) Splayed legs
2) Possibly paratyphoid
3) Possibly metabolic bone disease

Check the link Cindy gave you on splayed legs as well as our Resources forum here. Try to get the legs "tied" so that we stop the splay problem as soon as possible. Have a test done for paratyphoid (salmonellosis) .. if positive .. then treat the baby AND the parents with Baytril or a generic version of it (enrofloxacin). Metabolic bone disease would be from extreme malnutrition and is probably not likely in this case but tis possible. Please keep us posted and best of luck with your little one.

Terry

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the link i will try it ... should i do it now or when it gets a little bigger hes 5 days developed now (about). and no i will never kill him\.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Is there any way for you to post a picture of this baby? If the baby is really 15 days old, but looks like it's 5 days old, I think you've got more than just spraddle leg going on...........does it have feathers at all? A 15 day old baby would be up walking around and somewhat active.

·
Registered
25,396 Posts
Is there any way for you to post a picture of this baby? If the baby is really 15 days old, but looks like it's 5 days old, I think you've got more than just spraddle leg going on...........does it have feathers at all? A 15 day old baby would be up walking around and somewhat active.
That definitely may be the reason why the parents abandoned it in the first place.

PLEASE do provide a picture.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That definitely may be the reason why the parents abandoned it in the first place.

PLEASE do provide a picture.
i do not think that he has a disease i beleive that the reason that he is very undeveloped is because he is not being fed the correct formua(the correct on is not available in barbados) i will try to post a picture(everyone thinks hes ugly....i don't lol)

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
You can order the formula on line, you know. It would be worth your while to have some on hand. I keep mine in the freezer to extent it's shelf life.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i would but it takes too long to get down here... i have him in a little clay pot where he cannot sprawl out his legs so i think that it will work. i will also use the wire when he gets a little bigger thanks a lot for all the help!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Sorry, but I can't agree with Dennis on WHY spraddle leg happens...........it's a well known fact that if the baby is allowed to sit on a bare bowl without nesting material that the legs will grow sideways. That's just the way it happens. Maybe in some cases the condition is caused by other factors but MOST cases is simply because of poor nesting conditions. And I don't believe for one second that it's genetic...........

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
I agree with Renee.
You need to put a towel in the clay pot so the baby has something
for traction. Such a simple thing you can do that will make a huge difference.

Even if it takes a while to get the formula, you will have it on hand for the NEXT TIME. There is always a NEXT TIME!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i put coconut fibre into the pot and his right leg looks very normal now..... his left leg though is broken at the ankle and the hip joing is bent backwards and cannot bend the normal. it looks like if it needs to be cut off. would anyone suggest this? can he live with one foot ... has anyone ever seen/have a bird with one leg i think i have but it was long ago and i am not sure.and should i take him to a vet to get it amputated or can i do it myself. i have been raising him for 3 weeks now and i will not kill him for a broken leg! please help...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
No Cutting!!!!!

Oh boy:eek: that was a shocking to me, have the patience to work with it, cutting it off makes the bird bleed a lot and it might cost his life if you cant stop the bleeding...Please be patience, I have seen birds with out any foot but that happens not intentionally...Maybe someone else in here might give a better suggestion but ccutting is not :( in my book...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Yes certainly do NOT attempt to remove the bird's leg. Lots of them adjust fine to hobbling around on legs that are deformed or healed poorly after injury. He will adapt and be fine but removing the leg opens the door to bleeding to death and infection. For a little bird who is already so challenged that would be a mistake. Well actually I think it is a mistake in any case unless it's done by a vet.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Yes certainly do NOT attempt to remove the bird's leg. Lots of them adjust fine to hobbling around on legs that are deformed or healed poorly after injury. He will adapt and be fine but removing the leg opens the door to bleeding to death and infection. For a little bird who is already so challenged that would be a mistake. Well actually I think it is a mistake in any case unless it's done by a vet.
And what about the pain involved for the bird?!:mad:

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Hi Ryan,

It really would be helpful lif you could post some pictures of the legs of this little bird. Definitely don't try to do any amputating on your own. The fact that the hip joint is also abnormal kind of makes this a more difficult case with regard to trying to get some improvement without drastic measures.

Pictures really, really would be helpful.

Terry

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Hi Ryan...

Just to let you know...I have a handicapped pij, who essentially hops around on one leg, occasionally using her bad leg as a crutch.

Her leg had been badly broken at one time and healed terribly. My Vet said to just leave it alone. Gimie (for Gimpy) can fly just fine and luckily, has the carpet in my bedroom to use when she hobbles around while out for exercise.

Sending Hugs and Scritches

Shi and Gimie

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
his foot is broken at the ankle... and then the hip joint is all bent twisted(bajan term lol) it looks awful i am taking it to my uncle on saturday he is a vet ill ask him what to do and see if he can do it for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts