Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Since some months ago, I have some new friends in the balcony. They layed two eggs in February, they got big, and about a month ago they layed another two in a flower pot, a different place from the first, don't know why.

The problem is the pot is too small, and it looked strange to me that they didn't already walked. Today I came home and discovered one outside the pot, and in a corner. I read on the internet about this problem, and I made them another "nest". I also took the other one from the pot, and by bending the pot, I carefully pot the other one on the new nest.
The parents are gone tonight, don't know why they didn't came, but the bigger brothers are in the balcony, and two of their fellows. Last time they did this also, leave a night with no one around, I guess it's good for the little ones.

What should I do now ? I didn't made a movie, but it's clearly they can't walk. I have a friend who's a veterinary, and will come in any moment, but she doesn't have much experience with pigeons. I read on a website about the cure: http://www.2ndchance.info/spraddle-imageLgfl.htm
Any advice?

I included pictures with the day 1, day 3, day seven, and today with the new nest (sorry low light)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention something. In a morning, when the eggs were in day 7-8 (but I am not sure), the pot was down, and the eggs on the floor. Maybe mother pigeon lost balance, or who knows. I very carefully took the egs back into the pot. Mother came shortly after and all resumed.
But now, the eggs fell on the floor, no from too much high, as you can judge from the pictures. I read that that can also cause problems...

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I do not know exactly what you are asking or thinking but the baby pigeon is really too young to be judged for Spraddle Legs at this time. The squab is off pigeon milk and now at about 12 or 13 days of age the parents are feeding it assorted seeds and foods. The muscles are not strong enough at this point to get "off its hocks" meaning strong enough to stand up some so give this time...One thing very good about what you did was give it something like nesting material so that it can grab on to it with its little feet. Never have babies in a bare container because they cannot grab on to anything and will wind up with (splayed feet) or (Straddle legs)...Give this time..Make sure the parents are feeding this young one. My concern is with predators like hawks and cats and whatever in your area likes to eat baby pigeons. Are the parents with it pretty much like sitting and feeding it?...So glad you have someone to consult with and in your Country do you have any bird rehabbers that are knowledgeable with pigeons that you could ask questions to? Just wondering about your country Romania...Thank you for being concerned with this very small pigeon. Do not feed or give water or liquid of any kind to this pigeon or let anyone else do this without proper knowledge about pigeons. They have a unique mouth with their air supply in the back and you could very well aspirate the pigeon...(Only pigeons and Doves have this)---other birds tilt their head back but pigeons "suck", this is prime importance to know so that you do not wind up killing the baby...Are the parents feeding it and you have done well on giving it nesting trigs and stuff for the feet to grab on to but its just too early to tell about splayed feet for this birdie... You need to get better pictures so that we can see the single birdies on how they stand and things like that and at this stage of it --seems too early to judge on not walking---but Are the parents feeding the pigeons ?????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your reply.
Yeah, false alarm, doctor confirmed.
The parents are here with them daily, but there is one night or two in the birth cycle that they don't come. it was the same with the other two, who are here, but don't go near the young ones.
And no predators here, because I'm at the eight floor. I've seen a big bird some years ago, but on another window, I hope there are no hawks around.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You can leave some food for the parents in the balcony. You can even enrich this food with calclujm-based supplement from vet drugstore. Food must be pigeon specific - a mix from drugstore - or you can mix (pop)corn, wheat, (pelled, unsalted) sunflower and ideally some dried peas (not the one sold for agriculture, which are treated with toxic insecticids).

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
That's good Hashwood and enjoy your observations..Also get some plastic eggs to place in the next new surprise nest...lol...Thanks for caring..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks to my friend Dr. Ruxandra Tenia I confirmed yesterday that everything is OK.
Today, they walked, I guess for the first time, when they eat from their father. Mother is relaxing.

I feed them for almost six moths, well, two years to be precise. For six months they are permanent residents. Some nights eight pigeons are in my balcony :) I gave them millet, wheat, sunflower. I read that occasionally I also should give them salt? is this true ? They seem to love it
And from two weeks ago, they have special sand, from pet store.

It's fun, but all they do is fight and poop. In the evenings, so I have to close balcony access, and make them a one cubic feet nest in a corner, because I don't like to loose them away.
The problem is that as you said, I should start to replace eggs, since I bet in two weeks they will make a couple of eggs again. Will see what's next :)

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your kindness shown to these birds. Yes, it would be wise to start replacing the eggs with plastic or wood eggs, as you are drawing attention to them as they increase in numbers, and some people aren't as nice about the birds, and the predators will also take notice.

If you are feeding them, just give enough for parents and babies, do not leave any more then what they will eat in a meal.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Everything is well in the nest, the little ones are moving, soon they will fly.

What worries me is the father, who has some poop problems. For a week or two, all the poop he's doing is watery. It has a black non watery part, but the white normal part is watery. And today, I guess he did this poo, as attached. What's that and how can it be treated.
Mother is missing for one week or ten days, but she missed on the last couple of babies also, so I guess she's relaxing somewhere.

https://goo.gl/photos/tT28cPVVeNrQkMNs9

1 - 9 of 9 Posts