Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unlike some landing boards and traps, commercially available Sputniks have small landing boards an no room for a settling cage. Those of you using Sputniks how do you train your young birds to the trap?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have/made an extension landing board,that is even with the lower part of the sputnik...When I open the door,the birds can walk out onto my extension....I also made a flight cage to fit on my extension...With the door open,and the flight cage in place,I have more aviary space for the birds to sun bathe,or take a bath etc...When the birds are very young,28/30 days old,I put them on the sputnik landing board,so they learn to drop in.....But, I don`t worry to much about them to much...Let them come out onto your EXTENSION,and go in that way...Once they start flying,and you know you will not lose them off the loft,put YOUR aviary on the EXTENSION...With the sputnik landing board in place,they will have to trap....I`ll try to post a picture,if I have one in my picture folders....Alamo

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u30/Alamo285/NewPics010.jpg

As you can see,the extension is in place....I made it so that I can remove it during the winter,if I so choose....The door is open to let the YB`s come out...I could put the aviary extension on the board right now,and that means the birds would have to trap into the sputnik,as on race day...Or,I can just close the sputnik release door,and that would make them trap through the sputnik also..Either way,but the additional aviary extension cage,comes in handy for more room...My sputnik is the 40 inch version...Alamo

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have/made an extension landing board,that is even with the lower part of the sputnik...When I open the door,the birds can walk out onto my extension....I also made a flight cage to fit on my extension...With the door open,and the flight cage in place,I have more aviary space for the birds to sun bathe,or take a bath etc...When the birds are very young,28/30 days old,I put them on the sputnik landing board,so they learn to drop in.....But, I don`t worry to much about them to much...Let them come out onto your EXTENSION,and go in that way...Once they start flying,and you know you will not lose them off the loft,put YOUR aviary on the EXTENSION...With the sputnik landing board in place,they will have to trap....I`ll try to post a picture,if I have one in my picture folders....Alamo
I would be intrested in seeing those pictures too.

·
Registered
803 Posts
So is the release door hinged at the top? It looks like the door kinda swings up into the aviary part of the trap. I'd love to see some more photos if it's not too much trouble Alamo.
I have a seperate door that they exit thru , wider is better and its not really that hard to get your birds out they will or should exit anyway they can find as they do like their time outside the loft well at least here they do , even when a hawk is around they will still bolt for the skies if you let them . Just my own experiance here .

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your informative posts. I just ordered a Sputnik from Holland that is specifically designed to support my Unikon timer and, has a builtin 'aclimization board' that extends the depth of the Sputnik for training the birds.

I'll post a photo when it arrives.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Thanks everyone for your informative posts. I just ordered a Sputnik from Holland that is specifically designed to support my Unikon timer and, has a builtin 'aclimization board' that extends the depth of the Sputnik for training the birds.

I'll post a photo when it arrives.
Who did you order that from? Sounds nice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HABRU Standard and HABRU Plus Sputniks

I purchased mine form HABRU Aluminum in Holland. I'm in the process of putting together an agreement that will allow me to import them into the US.

They are not for everyone. Unlike the Sputniks you see on some supplier sites, these are unbelievabe pieces of equipment with multiple options to support multiple ETS systems. They will customize at the time of order if you'd like.

I've attached their brochure and price list...in English.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I was looking for one, I looked at the big four supply houses. All had them in their catalog, only two had one in stock, and they were not what I wanted. I saw a post on another forum from a UK flyer that mentioned HABRU. UK flyers were unhappy with the quality and life of the Sputniks that were available in the UK. These can be customized to any size, your specific ets, closed or opened, wire or closed bottoms, aclimization extension board, etc.

I contacted HABRU. liked what I was able to get, albeit very expensive; the Sputnik, not the shipping.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts