Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know I haven't been on in a while, thats because I haven't had any problems with my birds, But now breeding season is alive, one of my squabs, from first time parents, is having breathing problems, its regurgitating everything its parents give to it, or its just not going down its throat. I tried getting some of the food out, but it didn't do much, its tired, probably been up all night, and its saliva is all sticky.It can't breathe out of its nose easily so its using its mouth. Please can you guys help me, let me know if you need any more information, Thanks!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sounds like the baby has canker. How old is he? I hope you have canker meds.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea how old it is, I've been in india for a holiday, and my uncles been watching them, and when i returned there was 2 little squabs, I have no canker meds at all what type of meds do i need? how does canker even start? I think the squabs around 13-15 days old :((

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Anyone who owns pigeon needs to have some basic meds on hand. Canker is common. Most buy them online from pigeon supply places. If you can find a pet store that sells tropical fish, they may have Fish Zole, which is Metronidazole. Better in tablet form than powder. Easier to give. But it needs to have only Metronidazole in it, and nothing else.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's just that ive never had any canker problems before, i'll go and check at a pet store, thanks, how does canker happen though?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes you have. You had posted pics of some youngsters back in January. Just saw it today, but sure looked like canker. You need to have some meds on hand for things that are common in pigeons. Spend some time on here and learn more about them and what they need. If you only come on when you need help, you won't learn much. It is brought on by many things. Even the stress of raising babies can bring it on, and the parents will pass it on to the babies when feeding. Both babies will need to be treated, and the parents as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much would I need to give the parents and squabs? I got some fish zole tabs . And how should I feed them it?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Is there anything else in the tablet besides Metronidazole? What is the mg of the pill?

·
Registered
137 Posts
you should treat your birds once every two weeks for canker..

feed them other tonics in their water supplies etc

it must be wet canker.

i know its to late wen im replying but it be good for future

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
you should treat your birds once every two weeks for canker..

feed them other tonics in their water supplies etc

it must be wet canker.

i know its to late wen im replying but it be good for future

You don't treat your pigeons every 2 weeks for canker. That wouldn't be good for them, to be giving meds constantly like that. Some do treat them before breeding season, or spring and fall, and of course when they are showing signs of having canker. But never constantly.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
If your birds never have access to water from the outside (non-chlorinated) or other birds (somebody else's), then you only treat them once. FishZole is usually a tablet that doesn't dissolve well in water, so it kinda' makes a lousy flock-treatment in the waterers. I usually break up the pills with a pill-splitter and give 'em straight to a specific bird. Metronidazole has an incredibly safe range of dosages, but it's best to be at a therapeutic dosage. In the old days, it was 10 - 30 milligrams per kilogram of bird, twice daily, but the latest formulary shows it to be 200 milligrams per kilogram of bird, once daily (QD--"Each Day").

So... what size of squeaker? How old and what breed? If the FishZole is a 250 milligram tablet, for instance and the squeaker's 150 grams, you'd give him (or her) about 1/8th of the whole tablet. I've done that quite a few times, actually, for about a week.

Pidgey

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Many treat squeakers 25 mg daily for 7 to 10 days, and an adult 50 mg. daily for 7 to 10 days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts