Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The last squab died after I helped remove the shell that was opened for more than 4 hours....I had read here on the forum that I needed to assist...the first half of the shell came off fine but then the butt part seemed stuck with a yellow sac of fluid still attached to its bum area. It was breathing erratically but once I took the last part of the shell off it passed away.

Now once again, my casal has cracked a hole in the shell again but I keep reading that there is a chance the egg can dry out. I left the egg alone now for more than 6 hours...the baby is moving around in the egg as I can see through the hole. I decided to take only one side of the shell off...it has exposed the babies upper part of its body. I am now reluctant to take the butt end of the shell off because of my last experience of it dying.

Any suggestions?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Don't touch it. It can take 24- 48 hours before the chick comes out and if the last one still had a yolk sac it wasn't ready to come out yet. As they wiggle out the yolk sac gets taken up into their body, they need to do it alone in order for that to happen and if you take it out too soon the sac remains outside and the chick will die. It won't dry out if you have a water container in the incubator, the humidity has to be quite high around a week before hatching in order for the shell to crack easier and the chick not to dry out. If there is enough humidity in the air the chick will not dry out. In my incubator I like to see a few droplets here and there on the glass so as I know it's moist enough. There are so many tiny blood vessels in the shell that can be damaged by taking it off yourself and the chick will bleed out. I have incubated five eggs and two days before estimated hatching is the 'lockdown' period where the incubator must not be opened because of letting the moisture out and humidity drops. From the first tiny crack in the shell until my chicks eventually came out was around 48 hours, two days is not a long time so just leave it alone and don't be tempted to interfere. I am certain the last chick died because it wasn't ready to come out yet and the yellow yolk sac proves that too. Be patient and just forget about the egg and I'm certain you'll have a healthy live chick - interfere too soon and you'll just have a dead one. Make sure the humidity level is high enough too but don't spray the egg itself. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts