Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone --

My white racing homer pair has just has its third unsuccessful clutch of two eggs. After more than 20 days I have broken the eggs and found what appeared to be fully-formed squabs inside. I have tried giving a daily bath, which supposedly softens the eggs, but no luck so far.

I'm thinking of putting the next clutch under a different pair to incubate, in case it has to do with that...

Any explanations or help?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
How experienced is this pair ? Have they had successful hatchlings before ? Do you see any tiny openings on the egg or is it that you always open it completely out of the shell ?

Switching the eggs to another pair can give you success if its an incubation issue. I had read some where that during the last three days, if the egss are turned much it denies the chick a favourable position to open the egg shell. Inexperienced breeders can cause constant turning or displacement of eggs during last days also, which may be the cause of the death.

You mentioned more than 20 days, I wld wait till the pair abandon the eggs or 26 days to the maximum

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
There are various reasons for dead in shell youngsters. I would check parents too, as they may carry some disease.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
One symptom of Salmonellosis/paratyphoid is chicks dying in the egg. Have you innoculated or treated your birds?

It can also be iodine deficiency, best to have the parents checked out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts