Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are homers. They are 1 month old today, hatched on may 29th. I'm trying to figure out when I can pull them from their parents and move them into the young bird loft. They are already out walking around all over the place.

· Registered
20,303 Posts
They are homers. They are 1 month old today, hatched on may 29th. I'm trying to figure out when I can pull them from their parents and move them into the young bird loft. They are already out walking around all over the place.
well I would'n t really count the days, but the best thing is to see if they are eating and drinking on their own and then they will be easier to wean or place in another section as you won't have to worry about them as much, it is a stessful time for a youngun, so eating and drinking on their own is the most important thing.

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Even weaned birds still ask for food from their dad for another 2 weeks or so. My guess is around 1 month although I was able to wean birds earlier than that. They really can't fly yet at 4 weeks old. They just flutter around.

· Registered
521 Posts
My vote is also for 40 days. My babies are out of the box by 30-35 days, but they are still getting fed from parents (or me) until closer to 40.
I would just keep an eye on any you move, feel their crops a lot, make sure they know where the water is and how to drink it, that sort of thing.

· Registered
20,303 Posts
My vote is also for 40 days. My babies are out of the box by 30-35 days, but they are still getting fed from parents (or me) until closer to 40.
I would just keep an eye on any you move, feel their crops a lot, make sure they know where the water is and how to drink it, that sort of thing.
I agree, I don't see why folks what to wean them so fast...whats the rush?? I had a yb still getting a bit of feed from his dad when he(dad) had others(new babies) in the nest, he even let him in his box, not long though, dad weaned him himself, and it was a natural progression of things.

· Registered
4,934 Posts
I give them six weeks with the their parents, and if they're obviously eating well on their own and able to hold their own with the other birds, then they get to go into the YB/Disabled aviary until they're grown enough to join the Big Kids. :cool: There is really no hurry to separate youngsters from their parents that I can see, and this way it ensures they have a good start.

· Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your advice. I'm leaving them with their parents for now but keeping a close eye on them to make sure they don't get scalped. I'm going to wait a few more weeks before I separate them.

· Registered
71 Posts
I normally wean them around 30 days but i dont keep a strict schedule (like exactly 30 days) normally I see a yb at the tray eating and I wait a day or two after that and wean him. But in my weaning pen I have a few female oddball pigeons (one is a frill back, other is a king) that i got and that way its just monkey see, monkey do. And they dont get hurt by the aggressive cock birds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.