Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with on of my squeakers. He has been limping, & I saw blood on the floor of the holding area of the loft where he was. I checked him, couldn't see no cut on him at all. He had a bunch of his new feathers stuck together with dry blood. I wash these feathers with luke warm water. As I pulled the feathers apart from each other, all I saw a little bit of blood on the feathers' stem to the body. I continue to wash these feathers all free. I just rubbed in some antibiotics cream in the entire area. Than I put him in a medium size dog plastic crate. I covered the floor with clean sand. He seemed to be good today, just still limping. He never had any problem eating during all this.The sand is more softer than the wire floor, so when he lays down it will not be so hard on him. What is this ??

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I have a problem with on of my squeakers. He has been limping, & I saw blood on the floor of the holding area of the loft where he was. I checked him, couldn't see no cut on him at all. He had a bunch of his new feathers stuck together with dry blood. I wash these feathers with luke warm water. As I pulled the feathers apart from each other, all I saw a little bit of blood on the feathers' stem to the body. I continue to wash these feathers all free. I just rubbed in some antibiotics cream in the entire area. Than I put him in a medium size dog plastic crate. I covered the floor with clean sand. He seemed to be good today, just still limping. He never had any problem eating during all this.The sand is more softer than the wire floor, so when he lays down it will not be so hard on him. What is this ??
I have no idea because you didn't describe the wound very clearly. Sounds like the bird was injured, but if you can't tell by examining the bird, I certainly can't tell from the description.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was a meatcutter so probing this bird with blood is not a problem for me. The left side of breast bone is where the dried blood was. Now that I have the feathers loose, I see no cut or breakage of the skin. What all I see is a yellow part under the skin where the feather came out & some others are still coming out. All I see is dried blood where the feathers are coming out from under the skin. Thats it.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I was a meatcutter so probing this bird with blood is not a problem for me. The left side of breast bone is where the dried blood was. Now that I have the feathers loose, I see no cut or breakage of the skin. What all I see is a yellow part under the skin where the feather came out & some others are still coming out. All I see is dried blood where the feathers are coming out from under the skin. Thats it.
The blood part is odd, as normally one does not encounter blood unless there is some kind of a wound. Same with the limping part, bird does not normally limp unless it has suffered an injury. So I would guess something occurred in the loft with this bird. Unless you have surveillance tape, from inside your loft, I don't think you will ever know what happened. And I don't know of any disease which produces a limp and the dried blood you described. From my personal experience, pigeons have a real ability to get themselves into trouble.

I once had a small amount of loose chain which was used to hold up a 48" light fixture. I saw a pigeon pecking at it, and I didn't think much of it. The next day I went into the loft and found the bird dead hanging from that small piece of chain. There was a small S hook on it, and it had snagged itself around the bird's neck and latched onto the chain forming a hangman's noose. Now who would have thunk it ? :( Pieces of wire, a sharp edge, could go unnoticed for years, maybe decades, and one day, fate and that sharp edge, piece of wire, etc will connect and injure one of your pigeons.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Sounds like it could be a broken blood feather from the wing or tail.
If the shaft of the broken feather is still there it could be causing discomfort, hence the limp

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
That's what i thought a blood feather, but this is not a reason to limp.
May be her foot fell in the wire floor ( if possible) and got stuck and then pecked/attacked ( reason the feathers got broken). Just an idea.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quazar
Matriarch: I remember seeing a black piece of a feather all by itself under the skin, maybe an 1/16th or 1/8 th of inch long. I thought maybe it was a new feather coming out, but the other feathers are all almost reaching their full length. So this could be a broken shaft ? The bird is a black. How would it be the best way to remove it or should I just leave it alone? The other 2 squeakers treated the bird with tenderness, they must have know it has a problem. But it was having problems standing than I moved it & its nest mate to a cage with a mesh thick metal floor. Than a couple of days later is when I saw the blood. Could one of his feather get caught on that floor while standing up ? I don't know? Thanks to the rest of you for answering my post. Been seeing alot of what it takes to raise Racers with this 1 pair I have. Anymore advice would be very thankful. Oh the bird is still eating & resting well. The antibiotic cream seems to help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts