Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I found a squeaker out of nest early about four weeks ago, she was doing well, learned to fly, eating well, etc., and I thought she would be ready for release. But then a or two day ago, she became lethargic, and yesterday or day before stopped eating. Someone suggested it might be high lead as reason now her crop is not emptying. She also came without any mites or flies and now has lots of mites which is a problem. I had put her outside on the terrace a few times, I guess that is possibly where she got the mites (sometimes other pigeons come by). Her crop is full and sometimes she takes a breath like she is trying to get air. Often, she is sitting/standing like she is contorting herself. I do not know if there is something I can do to help in lieu of a vet at the moment.

She seems to be holding on. She drank a little water with apple cider vinegar in it. I read here about some meds but I do not have access to meds right now. Is there anything other than these pyrethrin based sprays or powders I can use for the mites? I tried a Foys bath mix (Borax blend) but not sure it was really helpful.

Any advice welcome. Thank you.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Where are you located?
How has she been eating?
What is she eating?
Look way down her throat with a flash light and see if you see anything cheesy looking.
She sounds as though she may be sick. If so will need meds. You do need to get rid of the mites. Mite and lice sprays, or Permethrin powder, or even Sevin 5% garden dust will get rid of them. Spray or dust well under the wings and tail, then tummy and back, but be sure to keep it out of her face.

Please post a picture of the bird.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts