Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Two days back I got this fledgling with a few yellow hairs still left. I was walking my dog and the pigeon fell down from somewhere high up in our apartment. I took him inside and he seemed to be fine, except for the drooping long flight feathers in his right wing. I took him yesterday to the vet, and she confirmed there is no fracture. He is not afraid of me, though he struggles during feeding. He can fly well inside the house inspite of the wing.

My doubt is - is he good to be released? I guess he fell out because of a hit to the wing, or maybe he collided with the electric pole, I don't know. The vet said I could release him once the wing heals, but I am concerned if he knows to go back home if I release him outside. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Lovely bird! Thank you for helping him. Not sure why his wing is droooping...sprain? Please don't release him unless you are sure he can find his flock because of the danger from predators.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Kunju, nice to hear from you again. Always difficult, to release or not. You say he is struggling with feeding, do you handfeed him or is he able to eat by himself?

Do you still have your other pigeons and does he get on well with them? If so, I would keep him and maybe one day do a soft release from your balcony if possible. I think their chances of survival are just so must better when they are older and closer to sexual maturity.

The dove I named after you is still doing well. Laying lots of eggs and sitting on her "nest" most of the time.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Give him cipcal kunju. Buy a cipcal tablet, break it into 8 pieces, give one piece down the throat. I have faced this problem in one of my birds. His wing started drooping, don't know why. I gave him calcium and he recovered. Don't know if calcium helped or he healed by himself but we know Calcium is essential for them so give it a try. Give calcium for 2-3 days and see how it goes and keep us updated.
you can slightly wrap him to hold his wing in proper position so to support it a little if it doesn't seem responding to calcium or doesn't seem to be healed normally.

·
Banned
569 Posts
A few yellow hairs still left.
Paratyphoid can cause joint issues at a certain stage IF a pigeon is affected with the bacteria. But you can not know for sure unless there was a culture done. It is treated with an antibiotic, which one? ,depends on which strain the bird has, and with certain antibiotics you should not give calcium grit because it decreases its effectiveness. So that is where I would begin. Keep his area super clean because it can be carried in the droppings. If he just has a hurt wing that would be allot simpler and it Certainly could only be that. He needs to eat and drink to stay alive so make sure he is doing that.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The bird may have a luxation, ankylosis or simple pain but fracture is possible too.

If is an infectious arthritis, usually there is a yellowish swelling at the articulation between wing and body. If you can't find this swelling, I doubt there is an arthritis.

Paratyphoid can cause joint issues at a certain stage IF a pigeon is affected with the bacteria. But you can not know for sure unless there was a culture done. It is treated with an antibiotic, which one? ,depends on which strain the bird has, and with certain antibiotics you should not give calcium grit because it decreases its effectiveness. So that is where I would begin. Keep his area super clean because it can be carried in the droppings. If he just has a hurt wing that would be allot simpler and it Certainly could only be that. He needs to eat and drink to stay alive so make sure he is doing that.
At least here in Romania (but I guess everywhere else), the wing arthritis is caused in 95% by staphyloccocus, based on 7 years of tests at a vet drug factory. I managed to cure three pigeons that could not fly at all. Two are still at me, flying almost perfectly.

I used the antibiotic fosfomycin, which has the smallest molecule and thus is able to pass through the articulart capsule. You can buy it from human drugstore under the brand name Monural. A 300 gr bird must get ~70 mg fosfomycin /day but in Monural is mixed with sugar so you have to calculate how much Monural to put. The Monural I have contains 3 gr fosfomycin and 5 gr sugar (the entire sacket) so the raport is like 1 / 2,5 or so and 70 mg fosfomycin is contained in ~ 180 mg Monural. But the kind oif Monural you buy may have a different ratio between sugar and fosfomycin.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely try the calcium. His wing is still drooping, though he can still fly well.
My other pigeons, all non-releasable, are giving him the cold shoulder as of now...the usual initial ragging. He pecks at seeds but I am not sure if he can feed himself yet. When I got him, his crop was way too full (perhaps fed by his parents) and it took a whole day for it to empty. I have never been able to fill him up like that, with all the squirming. So I am giving him many small meals instead.
I know this question of releasing is never easy to answer. On one hand, I don't want him to lead a captive life just because of a fall. On the other hand, I am worried of all the things that could go wrong if I released him. I will keep the suggestion in mind, about releasing him once he has attained sexual maturity.
@Marina B, glad that your little Kunju is doing well. Give her my love and regards.
I did not think about paratyphoid, perhaps because the pigeon is acting so normal, and the droppings don't look so off, except for occasional watery poops. I will keep you updated on him.

·
Banned
569 Posts
The bird may have a luxation, ankylosis or simple pain but fracture is possible too.

If is an infectious arthritis, usually there is a yellowish swelling at the articulation between wing and body. If you can't find this swelling, I doubt there is an arthritis.

At least here in Romania (but I guess everywhere else), the wing arthritis is caused in 95% by staphyloccocus, based on 7 years of tests at a vet drug factory. I managed to cure three pigeons that could not fly at all. Two are still at me, flying almost perfectly.

I used the antibiotic fosfomycin, which has the smallest molecule and thus is able to pass through the articulart capsule. You can buy it from human drugstore under the brand name Monural. A 300 gr bird must get ~70 mg fosfomycin /day but in Monural is mixed with sugar so you have to calculate how much Monural to put. The Monural I have contains 3 gr fosfomycin and 5 gr sugar (the entire sacket) so the raport is like 1 / 2,5 or so and 70 mg fosfomycin is contained in ~ 180 mg Monural. But the kind oif Monural you buy may have a different ratio between sugar and fosfomycin.
Maybe that is true for India as well? . But it would be just a guess. This pigeon can be carrying just about anything from disease to parasites . Making a list is really a waste of time. Diagnostics would help. IMO, I would not medicate a bird without it. The easy try is the calcium for supportive care. also we all should be careful to NOT diagnose sick animals over the Internet as we are not veterinarians. (But play one on pigeon-talk.. Lol)

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely try the calcium. His wing is still drooping, though he can still fly well.
My other pigeons, all non-releasable, are giving him the cold shoulder as of now...the usual initial ragging. He pecks at seeds but I am not sure if he can feed himself yet. When I got him, his crop was way too full (perhaps fed by his parents) and it took a whole day for it to empty. I have never been able to fill him up like that, with all the squirming. So I am giving him many small meals instead.
I know this question of releasing is never easy to answer. On one hand, I don't want him to lead a captive life just because of a fall. On the other hand, I am worried of all the things that could go wrong if I released him. I will keep the suggestion in mind, about releasing him once he has attained sexual maturity.
@Marina B, glad that your little Kunju is doing well. Give her my love and regards.
I did not think about paratyphoid, perhaps because the pigeon is acting so normal, and the droppings don't look so off, except for occasional watery poops. I will keep you updated on him.
Feeding small grains is always very time consuming and difficult and they don't get sufficient diet as well. Buy defrosted frozen peas and thaw around 30-35 under hot water to get them to normal temperature and feed him those peas one by one by opening his beak. Freeze rest of them and take out 30-35 again for next meal and feed after thawed.

I am glad you rescue disabled birds. In India I see just a few people doing that. Where are you located? I am from U. P.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I didn't see AndreiS's reply before the last post. There are no yellow swellings on his joints. He is not having any 'sickness' symptoms so far, except for the drooping feathers on right wing. I am giving the calcium, let's see.

Hi Kiddy, I'm in Kerala. Where in U.P are you located? Glad to know there are others like me in India.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I am from Varanasi. I don't find anyone here(from India) who rescue pigeons. Nice to know you.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
This is a young bird, and probably just injured the wing in the fall. A vet told you it wasn't broken, but without an X-ray it is hard to prove that there is no fracture in there. I would wrap the wing up in a more natural position, and give him rest. Also give calcium as Kiddy has suggested. He needs to rest the wing so I wouldn't be flying him at all for now. Unwrap the wing in 5 days and see how it looks. At that time, let him use it a little so it doesn't become frozen in place. If still hanging down like that, put him in a cage and let him rest longer. Don't put him in with your other birds, as new birds should always be separated for a month first, just to make sure that they aren't coming down with an illness that would spread to your other birds.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Maybe that is true for India as well? . But it would be just a guess. This pigeon can be carrying just about anything from disease to parasites . Making a list is really a waste of time. Diagnostics would help. IMO, I would not medicate a bird without it. The easy try is the calcium for supportive care. also we all should be careful to NOT diagnose sick animals over the Internet as we are not veterinarians. (But play one on pigeon-talk.. Lol)

Yes diagnostics would help, but it is hard to get good help for birds where they live. If you would never medicate a bird without the diagnostics first, and lived where you couldn't get them done, then I guess you would lose many for no reason.

As you say, we are not vets, but are here to help people who will not get help otherwise. If you think that is playing a vet, as you put it, and you are against that, then I wonder why you come on here at all. You don't add a lot of help by always telling the poster that they need to get diagnostics done before medicating or doing anything else to help the bird. Many have nowhere to go for that, and many can't afford it. Also you are asking people to pay a lot of money to help what is often a feral bird. That isn't really realistic for many. So trying to help from our own experience is all we can do. And it does more often than not, help.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
kunju, how is your little guy doing? I dont want to forget that we are all here because we love pigeons. We all do what we can to help. You said you are going to try giving calcium. Hope that helps. Thank you for taking the time to help this cute bird.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Remember that if you are giving calcium, he also needs to get outside in the sunshine, or vit. D3.

·
Banned
569 Posts
Yes diagnostics would help, but it is hard to get good help for birds where they live. If you would never medicate a bird without the diagnostics first, and lived where you couldn't get them done, then I guess you would lose many for no reason.

As you say, we are not vets, but are here to help people who will not get help otherwise. If you think that is playing a vet, as you put it, and you are against that, then I wonder why you come on here at all. You don't add a lot of help by always telling the poster that they need to get diagnostics done before medicating or doing anything else to help the bird. Many have nowhere to go for that, and many can't afford it. Also you are asking people to pay a lot of money to help what is often a feral bird. That isn't really realistic for many. So trying to help from our own experience is all we can do. And it does more often than not, help.
Diagnostics can be sent out. A simple search on the internet would give you choices to send off a sample or get a kit to send off a sample. Then shop online for meds. There is no excuse IMO Just because someone does not live where you do. Money would be IMO more of an issue. So I would tell a low income person to ask for help or hand it over to someone who has money for care. Usually people just want what they want without having to go out of their way and spend money for care. But I'm not against homeopathies that are effective. Usually they are used for preventive care, which is helpful (like good husbandry) before the instant of getting a disease. I'm speaking of non-releasables that are going to have a domestic home, I see this pigeons as the ATM. If he needs a rehabber that has more knowledge and resources then that has to be looked into. I'm sure India has them, just need to know where to look.

It would be nice if a member that lives INDIA can pitch in and help IF they know some resources. The person medicating the pigeon would need to know where to get an antibiotic if he wants to just medicate the bird in hopes of it being beneficial, and hopefully not contributing to making a stronger super bug with unwise use of antibiotics.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have seen many labs, couldn't get any yet to get the pigeon's poop tested.

We can buy antibiotics over the counter here so no need to buy them online if to medicate. Unwise use of anything could cause damage so either the members write here to experienced members (no vets) or use them at their own risk. I don't see any avian vets here, even I have looked for them online in other states as well but couldn't get any of them yet.

In my state there is no rehabber for birds. I don't know if there is any in the poster's state. States too occupy such large areas, not possible a sick bird to be sent if it is far. Don't have good shipping services for animals.

With such limited resources, online forums seem to be the best option, at least have experienced members to share the advices.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Diagnostics can be sent out. A simple search on the internet would give you choices to send off a sample or get a kit to send off a sample. Then shop online for meds. There is no excuse IMO Just because someone does not live where you do. Money would be IMO more of an issue. So I would tell a low income person to ask for help or hand it over to someone who has money for care. Usually people just want what they want without having to go out of their way and spend money for care. But I'm not against homeopathies that are effective. Usually they are used for preventive care, which is helpful (like good husbandry) before the instant of getting a disease. I'm speaking of non-releasables that are going to have a domestic home, I see this pigeons as the ATM. If he needs a rehabber that has more knowledge and resources then that has to be looked into. I'm sure India has them, just need to know where to look.

It would be nice if a member that lives INDIA can pitch in and help IF they know some resources. The person medicating the pigeon would need to know where to get an antibiotic if he wants to just medicate the bird in hopes of it being beneficial, and hopefully not contributing to making a stronger super bug with unwise use of antibiotics.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Sometimes there are no resources. People still want to help an injured bird. They are doing the best they can, so maybe you could stop trying to get in the way of that process.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts