Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was able to get some supplies today and start my nest boxes...because it gets hot here this is how i made them. they are 24"LX12"DX12"H two hole for the pair to have. the sides & back are 1/4" plastic mesh , i wanted them to have air, as i know can get hot in side the shed, i also installed a small fan above door to help circulate the stale air. I also bought a bunch of fake wooden eggs...i am not ready for babies to hot...well i know some one is going to pick at me for some reason on these so i am ready for all comments..

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hopefully they work out nicely for you. I would make sure to not have a perch next to the nest, so the pair does have some privacy. They tend to guard the nest, and being able to see someone perched next to the nest will drive em nuts. Also add a lip to the front edge to keep the eggs and babies in the box :)

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Yes, definitely put a 2 inch high board running across the front. Also, you will need to paint the floor of the boxes, as that wood is hard to scrape and clean. If it gets wet, it swells up and is harder to clean. I used that for my nest boxes, but I painted them, and it works out fine. Otherwise, kinda cute.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
My boards do lift off, but I don't usually remove them, and I don't find it hard to scrape really. Nice to have the option, but not really necessary.

·
Registered
803 Posts
well i was able to get some supplies today and start my nest boxes...because it gets hot here this is how i made them. they are 24"LX12"DX12"H two hole for the pair to have. the sides & back are 1/4" plastic mesh , i wanted them to have air, as i know can get hot in side the shed, i also installed a small fan above door to help circulate the stale air. I also bought a bunch of fake wooden eggs...i am not ready for babies to hot...well i know some one is going to pick at me for some reason on these so i am ready for all comments..

those dividers are pretty ugly, since they are only made of card board I would replace them and with the next ones just cut out a 6x6 inch hole for them to go between sides and a lip wouldnt hurt but mine dont have lips I just enclose the side with the nest bowl .

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
well i was able to get some supplies today and start my nest boxes...because it gets hot here this is how i made them. they are 24"LX12"DX12"H two hole for the pair to have. the sides & back are 1/4" plastic mesh , i wanted them to have air, as i know can get hot in side the shed, i also installed a small fan above door to help circulate the stale air. I also bought a bunch of fake wooden eggs...i am not ready for babies to hot...well i know some one is going to pick at me for some reason on these so i am ready for all comments.
Only advice I would give is to put something sturdier but removable as a divider, and put nest-fronts on. You can buy plastic nest-fronts cheaply for around $6.00 each that will fit the size you made perfectly. I added nest-fronts to all my nesting box after a twenty day old baby fell out of the box, and got scalped on the floor of the loft before I found it. A piece of plywood cut to the same size as your cardboard can be slid into the box between two guides you glue in place. You can use scrap 1"x2" lath as the guides.

Good idea using the mesh. I was going to build a nestbox using Plexiglas for the back so it would let light in, but now I think I'm going to use hardware cloth. This nestbox will be on the shelf of a 30" wide greenhouse window on the back of my loft.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Oh, that's right...................the nest fronts. ptras is right. There will be times when you will want to be able to keep them in their box. You need to have a way of doing that, and yes, they do sell them 24 inches long. How many are you going to make?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Oh, that's right...................the nest fronts. ptras is right. There will be times when you will want to be able to keep them in their box. You need to have a way of doing that, and yes, they do sell them 24 inches long. How many are you going to make?
Will the nestbox being so bright keep the birds from wanting to nest in it? All of the nestboxes I have seen so far have solid walls and back, making them darker than the surrounding loft.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Will the nestbox being so bright keep the birds from wanting to nest in it? All of the nestboxes I have seen so far have solid walls and back, making them darker than the surrounding loft.

Actually, they usually prefer a darker place to nest, but they are using a metal shed, so figured this would give them more air to stay cooler. Probably a good idea. I think if that's what they have, they'll use them.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i am making 16 of these for now

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there will be no perches next to the boxes, i am going to add a lip to the front. i will see about the changing the center piece, and see about getting the plastic fronts, like the wire ones, i want to be able to get in to it fast if i can..hey these are my first build on my own :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
there will be no perches next to the boxes, i am going to add a lip to the front. i will see about the changing the center piece, and see about getting the plastic fronts, like the wire ones, i want to be able to get in to it fast if i can..hey these are my first build on my own :)
I build my own nest fronts from wood, but you can get plastic ones in your choice of color for $5.95 each at Siegels.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well went to lowes and got some more material for the boxes, got ply for the center pieces cut at 12"x6" and got 24"x2"x1/4" pieces for lips which i am putting a gap on bottom for easy cleaning. i can add a small perch to the front on the boxes on one side for them to sit on right. i will have more pic's soon.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
well went to lowes and got some more material for the boxes, got ply for the center pieces cut at 12"x6" and got 24"x2"x1/4" pieces for lips which i am putting a gap on bottom for easy cleaning. i can add a small perch to the front on the boxes on one side for them to sit on right. i will have more pic's soon.

Yes, you can put a perch to one side of the box. Some will use it, and some will prefer to be across the room, but where they can still see the box. I had a guy build my loft and boxes, but later had to add more myself. I'm always changing or adding something in there. It's fun!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cool gonna add a few to one side on each one soon. i have them done and in already, i made 12, i have enough stuff for 16 but right now no room :) here are a few pic's

first 9

last 3 with a few hanging out

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes i know the perchesare there, i either have to move them over or put something on side so they can't see perch. anyway here more pic's.

Dory on her nest, she took right to it after i moved it from the cardboard box she was using :) and now i know i have to get nest bowls because these tilt now in the other box they didn't.

Nemo & Dory

Sugar Cream & Hawk ( who was with plum but she stopped paying attention to him ) and their nest..

yes i got some fake eggs too

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Wow, that was fast! Very cute.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
yes i know the perchesare there, i either have to move them over or put something on side so they can't see perch. anyway here more pic's.

Dory on her nest, she took right to it after i moved it from the cardboard box she was using :) and now i know i have to get nest bowls because these tilt now in the other box they didn't.

yes i got some fake eggs too
Put some wood shavings or sand under the bowl and it will keep it from tilting as much.

Or order some disposable nest bowls...they're real cheap and I find that they last for three or four rounds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts