Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all...
Had to give up all my birds a few years back after having some serious heart trouble.
My buddies in my club have gifted me 30 late hatches to race next year.
A few of them have dropped a flight or two but most are fuzzy headed sqeekers
My question to the racing members of the forum is... How should I handle these birds to have them ready for the next years OB races? Natural daylight? Beiche style light system?
I loft flew a team of celibate cocks right through the winter a few years back and was amazed at the condition of the birds. They flew like mad all winter long and handed me my first combine win the next OB season.
Now those birds had come off the dark system onto natural light. These birds I have now are a different kettle of fish. Just curious which way you guys and girls think I should proceed. I will race widowhood cocks or hens depending on how the sexes end up.
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If you are going to fly those late hatches next OB season, I think you would require a lot of training. Most times, late hatches are considered young birds. This is not to discourage you, but good luck with which ever decision you choose to go with!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm on the road for work 50-60 miles from home daily with a company van that I can train birds out of. I know they'll need lots of work... If the weathers decent(no high winds and snow) they will go down the road.
Working on getting them settled and trap training this week.
I have a 4'x8' landing board with a big wire settling cage that works great for settling YB's.
I'll give them a week or two of seeing the neighborhood through the wire and calling them in thru the trap to eat before I let them out.

Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts