Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just separated Fiona and Blue because they were fighting. Fiona had surgery months ago, and hadher uterus removed, because she was full of old stuck eggs. She can no longer lay eggs but am worried she will breed and have junk in her abdomen again. Vet said to house her with Blue.

Usually i have to separate Buzzy and Junior, because he pulls all the feathers off her neck. I have to take him out every time i feed them because he pursues her so she cannot eat or drink.

I realize pigeons live to breed, but i am tired of overly zealous males. The vet said there is no medication to slow them down.

We have a bonded female pair who are never any trouble and sit on (swapped) fake unfertilized eggs unfertilized eggs together. Wish all our birds were female!

·
Registered
609 Posts
She can no longer lay eggs but am worried she will breed and have junk in her abdomen again
Yikes! Is that even possible?

Perhaps change their diet to lower frequency of reproduction?

"In Table 2, egg production of the pigeons fed the high-energy, low-protein diet (2,940 kcal/kg and 14%, respectively) was increased by 34.3% compared with the low-energy, medium-protein diet (2,630 kcal/kg and 15%, respectively) (P < 0.05). Interestingly, the increased energy content in the diet appeared to be more effective for improving the egg production of the laying pigeons, while dietary protein content had no significant effects."

High quantity of lysine in the diet also increased egg production in pigeons.

·
Registered
We raise and breed quality Modern and Classic Modenas.
82 Posts
Another thought would be to put all the hens in a loft and cocks in a different loft. For the first time we split our pairs this winter for a little break, and it helped more than we expected. They all got along much better when separated from pairs. That is except for our two hens that hooked up and laid 4 eggs. That was a treat to watch them trying to keep all 4 eggs under for incubation.🤣🤣🤣. Our fertility this spring has been nearly 100% as well. I feel it was good for them to have a break, fully recover from last years breeding, and we were finally able to pair birds with similar personalities and features to improve the babies for our show standards. We were nervous about all the boys together, but they got along well with no girls to fuss over

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hi, racing pigeon flyers separate the males and females every year after breeding a young bird racing team we never let the hens have more then 6 eggs in a breeding season and for the older hens only 4 eggs and the last set of there eggs we will use another pair to raise them we call them pumpers, if you let them breed them there last set of eggs they will have 2 more eggs when the young are 2 weeks old thats 2 more eggs and 8 all together thats to many eggs to have out of 1 bird in a breeding season, people that get 10 or 12 eggs out of a hen will ruin that bird she will be barren in 4 or 5 years you must separate the males and females every year for at least 6 months and it will stop the male from beating up the hen just put them in separate cages. Remember Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just separated Fiona and Blue because they were fighting. Fiona had surgery months ago, and hadher uterus removed, because she was full of old stuck eggs. She can no longer lay eggs but am worried she will breed and have junk in her abdomen again. Vet said to house her with Blue.

Usually i have to separate Buzzy and Junior, because he pulls all the feathers off her neck. I have to take him out every time i feed them because he pursues her so she cannot eat or drink.

I realize pigeons live to breed, but i am tired of overly zealous males. The vet said there is no medication to slow them down.

We have a bonded female pair who are never any trouble and sit on (swapped) fake unfertilized eggs unfertilized eggs together. Wish all our birds were female!
Thank you all for your comments. Am changing their diet and figurng out a way to separate the males.
There is info that you already know. Keep birds busy and get boys some balls or/and objects to forage. Paper, cardboard and emulate outside circumstances. PROBLEMS ARE NEVER BIRDS FAULT. ITS HUMANS FAULT. BIRD OWNER NEEDS TO KEEP BIRDS BUSY. BOREDOM AND PERSONALITY IS THE BIRD. EVEN IF BIRDS DO NOT TAKE TO RECOMMENDATIONS, GIVE THEM TIME TO PLAY W ITEMS. YOU HAVE MIRRORS FOR BIRDS? DO YOU COMMUNICATE WITH THEM IN BIRD WAY? MEANING SIGN LANGUAGE - USE MOTIONS TO COMMUNICATE. THEY UNDERSTAND SIGNING WITH HANDS-EAT W YOUR HAND GOING TO MOUTH. THEY UNDERSTAND BETTER THAN WORDS. THEY PROBABLY DO UNDERSTAND YOUR WORDS. THERE IS SOMETHING THAT IS OFF HERE. DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE. JUST TRY NEW THINGS. BIRDS MUST BE KEPT BUSY. OR ELSE. MALES FIGHT SO KEEP THEM APART AND SEPARATED. KISS YOUR BIRDS TOO. SOME LOVE THIS. GET SOME TOYS TOO.

·
Registered
233 Posts
yeah, the boys are total @sses. My pigeon, coconut, raised a boy named thumbtack. From the moment he opened his eyes he's been putting little holes on my hands that make it look like i've been stabbed by a thumbtack.

·
Registered
215 Posts
yeah, the boys are total @sses. My pigeon, coconut, raised a boy named thumbtack. From the moment he opened his eyes he's been putting little holes on my hands that make it look like i've been stabbed by a thumbtack.
Oh geez. Perhaps giving bird some love. I deal w tough peckers also. One, Bird Bear(his name) is major and causes pain and adjusts depending on how I deal w him. I was attacked by a gang in park. After Bird Bear saw it, he became gentle. He's back to doing it but I have ways to stop it. I can hold hand between my face and him. It must be done often to stop it. Its training. There are other methods in trying and learning wo hurting a bird w ingrained behavior embedded in his brain. Lots of kissing and gentleness is a work in process. Other ways exist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts