Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started out with young feral - first pigeon, and I didn't have any commonsense when it came to raising pigeons. My only bird knowledge came from owning and raising a companion Quaker parrot for the past 10 years. I thought I knew what I was doing.... NOT..... I have found all of the foods I had originally fed to Mildred was all wrong, even if she did eat it. I thought wild pigeon eat whatever they could find, so cooked meat, cooked rice and bread was all okay. Well it looked like Mildred had survived the wrong diet and was doing good until yesterday. I had started her on just seeds and pigeon crumbs a little over a week ago and she was struggling with getting the hang of eating hard seeds, but eating. Well, it looks like today while I'm at work, my husband is going to get with vet and see about getting antibiotics for Mildred since she may have bacterial infection from my stupid help. I hope that is all that is wrong. I will keep you updated with the progress. I say progress in a positive way. Thanks for all the support.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm sorry the bird is not feeling well, I hope the avian vet will be able to diagnose the issue and begin treatment right away.

A pigeon seed mix will be just fine for the bird.

Thank you for helping this needy bird and for the update. Please continue to keep us updated on the birds progress.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doing Much Better

I am very happy to say my beloved Mildred is doing real good now! She started eating seeds again for my husband while I was at work yesterday. I got home and she was ready to do some flying around the house using me as one of her main landing points. I will be getting her some pigeon grit today. She is currently flying, eating, and stepping on my computer while it try to type this message. She is back to her loving self! Two day ago while I had my Quaker and Mildred on my shoulders, Baby ran around my back and grabbed Mildred. Mildred flew off and when I got to her she was bleeding but I couldn't determine where it was coming from. Could Mildred had gotten hurt and that be the reason she wasn't eating or acting herself for the two days? I am beginning to think that was the root cause for her to stop eating and acting somewhat recluse. I feel so much better and it's evident Mildred does too!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I am very happy to say my beloved Mildred is doing real good now! She started eating seeds again for my husband while I was at work yesterday. I got home and she was ready to do some flying around the house using me as one of her main landing points. I will be getting her some pigeon grit today. She is currently flying, eating, and stepping on my computer while it try to type this message. She is back to her loving self! Two day ago while I had my Quaker and Mildred on my shoulders, Baby ran around my back and grabbed Mildred. Mildred flew off and when I got to her she was bleeding but I couldn't determine where it was coming from. Could Mildred had gotten hurt and that be the reason she wasn't eating or acting herself for the two days? I am beginning to think that was the root cause for her to stop eating and acting somewhat recluse. I feel so much better and it's evident Mildred does too!
Im glad she is better, I guess you have figured out quaker parrots and a pigeon do not mix, the quaker can hurt her pretty bad esp if it is over your affections. I would not let them out at the same time, next time could be worse. the beak of the quaker is very powerful and could do irrevesible harm to your pigeon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pics & movie of Mildred

I took these of Mildred today, to be on the safe side I also put her on antibiotics with vitimines. She is enjoying the freedom of flying around in the house for now. I still want to get her out with the chance to make friends and find mate. Sure would like to find someone close by so I can drop by and see her.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
A couple of years ago, my little Senegal Parrot, Piggy, nearly killed my Pigeon Sammy.
It had been the custom around here, to let everyone free fly at the same time and for years it worked ok until that awful evening.
Piggy flew into Sammy's cage, where he was on nest duty, and attacked him. She took off part of his beak. To get away from her, he flew out of his cage, shook his head and blood went everywhere. When I was able to secure him, I had to call a family member to take us to emergency vet clinic to allow me to keep pressure on his beak. He lost a lot of blood and the emergency clinic didn't have a doctor on duty familiar with birds but they did have one that was willing to do what I asked and Sammy was saved.
I would never recommend that anyone allow Parrots and Pigeons to free fly at the same time and in the same room. Before that experience, I wouldn't have been worried.
You told us that your husband was going to take the Pigeon to the vet and I'm wondering if he did? I think an exam would be a very good thing because of the diet you have been giving Mildred. I also have a sneaking suspicion that she may have canker and possible worms so I would think that a fecal exam, at least, would be a good thing to make sure that sweet baby of your is healthy.:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mildred did not make it to a vet, she had started eating for hubby so he thought she was alright. I called a number of Vets that were known to deal with birds and all that use to that I talked with no longer dealt with birds. Boo! However, there is one that I had taken my Quaker to that is still in business, that's located near where I use to live. You are so right, I still should take Mildred to a "bird" vet to get her checked out anyways. I did get some Ornacyn-Plus today and started her on it, so she should be alright until next week when I can schedule her an appointment with the doc. Plus, the medication I started her on today is suppose to be a broad spectrum antibiotic with essential vitamins & amino acids. The vitamins should really help too.

Mildred and Baby are not going to get near each other again. One good thing is Baby's wings are clipped and Mildred flys, I will not have them both on my shoulders the same time again.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That's good.
The meds you have her on won't do anything for canker or worms.
It's great to know of a vet in the event of an emergency situation. It doesn't need to be an avian vet but certainly one that is experienced with birds.

How did you come by Mildred?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts