Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I joined this list severel months ago but never did get my pigeons. I just reently bought my first pigeons, 2 pairs of rollers and 1 pair figuritas. Got the figuritas to put in my averie. Im going to breed from the rollers and hopefully fly the babys. I have no intrest in showing or competing with the rollers, they are strictly for pleasure.

I do however want to race. I had such a good experience with geting these rollers and figs that I went ahead and Im buying 3 pairs of racers from the same loft. I just bought some of the $50 or less sale page. Just something to get me started to be sure I really enjoy it before I spend big bucks. These breeder pairs of rollers and racers will be in seperated cages in my buny barn. I have some of the materials to build a loft and it will be done by mid Feb. I will use the loft for a kit of rollers and a race kit.

I know I ultimatly want to race so thats what I will focuse on (just wanted some rollers becouse I think they are fasinating). I am in school and I graduate in June but I thought that I could start raising some babys and hopefully have a small team by fall to enter in yb races.

I do have a question about the loft. How much room is needed per bird? So I know how big I need to make it. I did not really want to actually join the AU yet but when they start haveing babys I would like to band them so if I do end up racing this year I can. Can I buy bands with out being a member of a club? I just dont want to become a member not know if I will for sure end up racing this year. Mostly for right now these will be for a hobby, I just want the option of raceing in the fall if I want too.

Thanks Kimberly

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Some body will be along with more info the me, but you can get bands from Foy's. I don't think you need to be a member of a club.
Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Another option is getting IF bands. You can also get those at Foy's Pigeon Supplies.

In order to race, you will need to be a member of a local club, or else you won't have anyone to race against :p Most clubs have people willing to give beginners lots of advice and birds if they need them.

The general rule of thumb for space is one square foot per bird. Of course, more room is always better to prevent overcrowding. The most important thing is that there is at least one perch for every bird :) If they're forced to sleep on the floor because no one will give them a perch, that can really stress them out. And another helpful thing, don't have the ceiling much higher than your head, or you'll have a real 'fun' time trying to catch the birds, haha :p If they're tame, it's easier, but some birds just have it in their nature to be shy and flighty.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Silverfilly--you did not give your location---someone "member" may be close to you.
Mary is correct----But 2 square foot per bird--1 & 1/2 perch per bird is very good.
6 foot tall. 2-3-4 sections for y/b's-old birds-hens-cocks- your loft will NEVER be too BIG.
It would be good to visit other flyers--see their setup.
Sometimes it is best to do more listening than asking questions.
Band all birds--KEEP good records of which squabs come from which pair.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I started flying homers last year, joined the local club and a few of the members in the club and combine were kind enough to donate a few youngsters to me in the spring to help get me started. It helped that they knew I had a coop and all of the requirements to support a flock of pigeons in place. It has been a great experience.

Hugh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts