Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I've rescued two feral pigeon's from a disused building and I have no idea how long they've been there.

I've had them for five days, I've kept them both warm with water and a mixed seed. One of them has been puffed up from the start and the other one has been like since yesterday. Initially they ate the seed and drank water just fine but since yesterday they've been very listless and they've been drinking and eating very little, also watery yellow poop since last night.

I've read about the possibility of an impacted crop so I've removed their food and given a little acv with water in the sides of their mouth's with a syringe and massaged their crop's, I've read that an empy crop would be firm and a full crop would more spongie but I'm finding it difficult to know if they're impacted or not as the bird's are so skinny.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They could have canker. Post a pic of the droppings and the birds? Could also be sick with something else, or maybe worms. If they are skinny, and you don't really have any reason to believe the crops are impacted, please give them back the food and water. If they are not eating then you will need to hand feed them. First a pic would help to try to figure out their age.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here's a video, one of them also makes like a wheezy whistle when he's disturbed as if he's having problems with his breathing, he doesn't look well at all and his eyes are blinking.

It's only since late yesterday and today that the yellow poop has been so significant to notice and cause concern, I need to do something quickly as one of them is deteriorating. On a Facebook group they mentioned coccidiosis but their poop wasn't like this five day's ago, I'm just concerned that it's something to do with the fact they were starving maybe liver problems?

https://youtu.be/nrKm67iYv8E

I did call into a local wildlife rescue centre on Tuesday and mentioned that one of them was a bit wheezy so he gave me a couple of tablet's to give them. Their health has only became much more of a concern today and I haven't been able to get in touch until just now where it was confirmed that the tablets were the Harkers 3 in 1.

The 3 in 1 does treat Coccidiosis, canker and worms.

They were more alert earlier in the week, both eating and drinking but they've got worse as the day's have progressed. Is a starved pigeon struggling to process the food or the 3 in 1 medicine that waa given three day's ago?

Here's a video from 5 day's ago when I got them.

https://youtu.be/pDtidTmCMYk

I'm not sure what to do now, just give them water in a syringe or give them some hand feeding formula?

This is driving me crazy! ��

·
Registered
465 Posts
Emancipated animals won’t have enough energy to digest something like seeds. They should be given fluids for ~24 hours and then given something easy to digest such as bird formula. Peas should also work, but I’ve never used them for that.

If he crop is compacted you should be able to feel a hard lump in the crop. You can still feel the seeds. A healthy full crop will feel like a beanbag. An empty crop doesn’t feel like anything really, you would just feel their neck. If they are impacted, you need to fix that before feeding them anything else. Sometimes it can resolve with ACV and fluids, but you might need to take them to he vet.

E: coccidiosis or canker could cause emaciation, but it’s better to put some weight on them before treating for things you haven’t diagnosed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks bootface.

I gave them some ACV earlier on and some hand feeding formula a few hours ago. They're so thin I wouldn't be sure about just giving them fluids for 24 hour's now but I'll continue with fluids and the hand feeding formula.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You do need to get food into them, so feeding the formula is good. But getting weight on them before treating will cause them to die of the illness before they gain the weight. If you had just today gotten them, then I would say to rehydrate first, then feed tomorrow. But you have had them for 5 days now, and I believe you had said that they were drinking before.
Canker is very possible, but the 3 in 1's and 4 in ones don't usually have enough of any one drug in them to cure anything. If a vet is not possible, the I would treat for canker with Metronidazole which normally works great, and with Baytril which is wide spectrum. So you are covering most bases. I keep Coximed on hand, as it is one tablet, then 1 more tablet 10 days later. So I give it (if cocci is suspect), then start the Metro and Baytril. After 10 days I give another Coximed. Baytril in morning, then Metro in afternoon/evening, after feeding, as it is better to give it on a full crop. On an empty crop it is more likely to make them vomit.

They could also have worms,especially being feral. But unless you believe it is worms, then not great to worm an already down pigeon. Is there any blood showing in the droppings?

You also said they weren't drinking I think. Cocci and even canker usually do cause them to drink more. Are the droppings yellow or more dark green?

How much did you feed each one, and how are you feeding?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
They've had about 3.5ml of the hand feeding formula laat night, around 9 hour's ago. I was reluctant to give them too much straight away but I'll continue that today. They took the feed okay, just reluctant as always to be hand fed.

Just now 5ml more each, 6am this morning. There poop is now watery bright green with a couple of small dark green lump.

11am, 5 ml more of the hand feeding formula but I used the Coxoid Coccidiosis medicine that you mix with water to make up the hand feeding formula, I'll continue to do that.

When I got them five day's ago the droppings weren't perfect but nothing stood out as being something to cause concern, they started in Thursday with the distinct very watery yellow droppings but no blood.

I do haven't some Harkers Coxcoid tablet's and it's also possible to get the type that goes in the water. I'm in the UK and it is a problem getting the same medication as you have in the US like Metronidazole and Baytril.

There is Harkers Spartrix (tablet's for canker), there's also the type that goes in the water.

I'm not sure if it's correct to be concerned about giving them the tablet form of these medicines, with them being starved bird's will they have liver problems and will the tablet's be too strong?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They've had about 3.5ml of the hand feeding formula laat night, around 9 hour's ago. I was reluctant to give them too much straight away but I'll continue that today. They took the feed okay, just reluctant as always to be hand fed.

You need to feed more than that at each feeding. Give 10 ml in each of 3 feedings, then go to 15 the next day. Then 20.

Just now 5ml more each, 6am this morning. There poop is now watery bright green with a couple of small dark green lump.

You may be seeing starvation droppings. Can you post a pic of them?

11am, 5 ml more of the hand feeding formula but I used the Coxoid Coccidiosis medicine that you mix with water to make up the hand feeding formula, I'll continue to do that.

How can you give them the right dose that way? Over dosing is dangerous, and under dosing will help the cocci to build up a resistance to the drug.

When I got them five day's ago the droppings weren't perfect but nothing stood out as being something to cause concern, they started in Thursday with the distinct very watery yellow droppings but no blood.

I do haven't some Harkers Coxcoid tablet's and it's also possible to get the type that goes in the water. I'm in the UK and it is a problem getting the same medication as you have in the US like Metronidazole and Baytril.

There is Harkers Spartrix (tablet's for canker), there's also the type that goes in the water.

In the water meds are no good for individual dosing, as you cannot be sure of how much the bird gets.

I'm not sure if it's correct to be concerned about giving them the tablet form of these medicines, with them being starved bird's will they have liver problems and will the tablet's be too strong?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jay3

One of them has die overnight, bloody horrible.

The other one has been improving since yesterday, walking around the cage and pecking at the egg food that I put in the cage.

I gave them 30ml of the hand feeding formula yesterday.

With giving them them the Coxoid that goes in the water mixed in with their hand feeding formula I knew exactly how much of the coxoid water mix they were getting in a day, that's why I decided to mix it in and administer it directly straight into the crop.

I was concerned about giving a strong medication in tablet form to a weak bird.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The drug is no different whether it be in tablet or in water. They are still getting the drug. Really makes no difference. I'm sorry he died. I hope the other one does better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am wondering if the birds have Giardia. Yellow poop, a classic sign of Giardia in mammals. You need a different medication for that, but I don't know what it would be for pigeons. Any vet should be able to tell you. The bird will die without treatment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts