Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i left my doves in there cage for maybe a week probably a little less because i was working so much and didnt have time to let them out. i have since then opened the top of their cage to let them fly when they want to but when she hops out she doesnt seem to be able to fly. she flapps really hard and i can tel she isnt holding on to the cage. she kind hops and hovers. it makes me think of the moon bounce. is there something wrong with her? my male got his wings clipped so i know thats why he cant but hers are full grown feathers and not clipped at all.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Hard to say. Sometimes when I lock my birds (pigeons) inside for 1 week, they usually don't want to fly when I release them. It will probably take them 3 to 7 days before they come back to their previous performance.

Just observe for more couple of days to see whether the bird is sick or not.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Hillary, please do try to find some sort of bigger cage that was recommended, especially if you are finding it necessary to keep them closed up in their cage for such a long period of time. It's really very important for their health that they are NOT shut up in a cage day after day, I'm not trying to criticize at all, just stating a fact. I know at the store they were shut in a cage, but that is only a temporary situation, until they can get to their new home and be able to fly sometimes.

It seems like you're having a bit of trouble with these doves so hopefully we can help you get it straightened out. :)These are the ones that had one egg unhatched and one partially hatched out, right? And the male is losing his voice sometimes, and a few weeks ago it looks like the female was making weird noises? I think you mentioned both of them sound fine now when they coo, which is good. I would hold off on letting this pair raise any babies for at least a few months until they are settled and you know they are healthy. Laying on eggs and raising babies adds a LOT of stress to a bird, especially when they are just settling into a new house and environment. Make sure to offer them a bath with a large dish several times a week (every day is okay, I do it) as this helps them stay clean and a clean dove is a happy dove. :p

Do they have extra calcium (such as oyster shell) and plenty of grit? I would think that after stretching a bit the female would be flying. Let's see how she feels tomorrow about it. Good luck!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya everything was right ex ept that there was only one egg not two and the female wasn't making the nooses it's the male I just thought it was her at first. The male still is cooing funny the female seems fine

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
i left my doves in there cage for maybe a week probably a little less because i was working so much and didnt have time to let them out. i have since then opened the top of their cage to let them fly when they want to but when she hops out she doesnt seem to be able to fly. she flapps really hard and i can tel she isnt holding on to the cage. she kind hops and hovers. it makes me think of the moon bounce. is there something wrong with her? my male got his wings clipped so i know thats why he cant but hers are full grown feathers and not clipped at all.
you may want to up her calcium, she may need extra as she laid eggs not long ago and may be going to lay more soon.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I agree with upping the calcium intake as well.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi Hillery<, First thing I would ask you do you know how old your doves are? Hens when they get older and reach the end of egg production will start to lay only one egg and often it will be smaller then normal.So if they are banded check to see how old they are. Very often Pet Shops will take in good looking older birds for resaleGEORGE;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are not banded I don't know how old they are the people at the store didn't really seem to know much about them they said they don't normally get doves in their store

·
Registered
508 Posts
Don't resale them if they are old, old people rock!;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts