Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that in rollers some families appear to have characteristics that sometimes can help identify their lineage. I think the same thing probably exists in racing homers, but I am not familiar enough with them to identify any particular strains. Can any of you identify the various strains by their appearance? if so what are the features that would help identify them?

The reason for this question is because I recently picked up what I consider to be a very nice looking young cock bird. He has a rather distinctive beak and forehead (nose) shape. Do any of you know of a family/strain that have this look. It is new to me.

This is a picture of him.

Bird Vertebrate Stock dove Rock dove Pigeons and doves

·
Registered
369 Posts
Apparently, based on the two previous comments, it must be from the handsome strain or the lovely strain. I never heard of either of those strains.
More seriously, I must say as a racing homer guy, I have never seen a homing pigeon with those rather distinctive features. Perhaps it is just a "flaw" in this particular bird's bone structure.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently, based on the two previous comments, it must be from the handsome strain or the lovely strain. I never heard of either of those strains.
More seriously, I must say as a racing homer guy, I have never seen a homing pigeon with those rather distinctive features. Perhaps it is just a "flaw" in this particular bird's bone structure.
I had thought about it being just a change in one individual. I had never seen one like it before either. I have seen a few that narrowed slights behind the cere but nothing like this profile.

I kind of like the look, and this bird in particular. Maybe I'll try to make more, and see how they fly. :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see the bird has a seamless band on. Try to find the previous owner and inquire about the "handsome birds' breeding.;)
His band is the AU AA series. The AA bands are sold through Siegel's Pigeon Supply, and I have tried inquiring on other birds banded with Siegel's bands without any response back from them. Even though Siegel's is closer to me, I will do business with Jedd's or Foy's first when I can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.