Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, there was Bootsie the Tumbler who took over a ground level box and seemed likely to have himself a mate, but it just didn't last beyond one set of eggs. His 'intended' returned to her previous mate (who was still bringing twigs to her new box!). Bootsie is such a funny little chap, he really doesn't seem to quite have the hang of this 'big pigeon' stuff - but then, he was never a rough 'n' tough street pigeon, more of a cuddly pet :)

Now it's well into the Wood Pigeon courtship season, and Dagwood (non-flying) has paired up with Norwood (rescued as a youngster by Jill aka PidgePidge), and they have decided that box is ideal. It's situated with a couple of small conifers providing, it appears, a 'woodie friendly' environment. Anyway, this weekend we spotted Norwood (yes, the hen!) trying to collect the twigs we put out, whilst chasing off any pigeon that even looks like it may come, however innocently, somewhere near her box. Hmmm .... every pigeon except Bootsie, seen popping in and out of the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOUEL6BuGLA

Bootsie, bless him, has been collecting twigs and placing them in his old box next to the now resident Dagwood. We caught him trotting about, in and out of the box, apparently oblivious to the chasing going on around him, and permitted free access by our (currently) 'raging hen' Norwood. I really wonder how they perceive other pigeons ... but then, one of the woodies seems to have developed a passion for Winnie, a rescued homer hen. Strange birds :)

John

The intrepid alliance sets out:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
OIN (Only in Norfolk)

Norwood abandoned their eggs when they turned into plastic, but then laid another two eggs. I let them sit on them for a couple of days, but I decided that it was really time for the switch...and found that this evening it was Bootsie who was sitting on the eggs.

I have no idea what his relationship is with Norwood and Dagwood. I don't think it is a threesome, I think he is sort of like a nanny or a responsible older child. The nesting box that all three share was his nesting box when he had a brief relationship with Wingo, that was terminated when ASBO (Anti Social Behaviour Order) Chan started giving Wingo twigs for the nest she shared with Bootsie.

:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At the weekend we spotted Bootsie the Tumbler in the Woodpigeons' box, still sitting on (or near) the eggs.

Then, Norwood woodie (the hen) got in the box and was preening Bootsie's head and neck most affectionately :)

Funny thing was Bootsie dutifully fetching twigs to add to the nest and, whenever his back was turned, another pigeon sneaking in and stealing them.

I think they don't quite know what Bootsie is (as his head and beak is so different to other pigeons) but they seem to be treating him as 'honorary woodpigeon'. He is even allowed on the other woodies' perch (Tattywood and Littlewood) which until very recently they were chasing all other pigeons away from, as their nest was at one end of it.

John

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You have some nice fat pigeons. Nice video. I guess Norwood doesn't like anyone taking away his stuff. (Which must be all of it). Reminds me of my Chubby in my feral flock. He'll chase away anyone if they try to take some of his stuff. Wastes more time chasing than if he'd just go about his business, but I guess that's the way some pigeons are.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had not seen Bootsie the Tumbler around much on Monday morning, so I started searching. Then I saw a familiar head in the Woodie nest box, and I was able to get a quick shot of this pair (Bootsie and Norwood) who really are like buddies more than anything.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts