Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I caught this pij awhile back and he had a lot of mucous.
He ended up throwing this up and I've never seen anything like it. That pointy part I believe is part of his beak.
Just curious if anyone has seen anything like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Kim, you have some very strange cases.

Did the poor pidge throw that up after the photo was taken? I hope so, he looks in pretty bad shape!

Cynthia

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Kim,
You must post the 'after' care photo of this pij. :)

I can say, from an upclose & personal aspect, I've seen most of the birds Kim gets in & some are incredibly unusual & heart wrenching cases.
She has an absolutely wonderful gift with treating & caring for these birds. ;)

Cindy

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
You must post the 'after' care photo of this pij.
That sounds interesting and reassuring! :) I look forward to seeing the photos and to hearing the details of the care you gave, Kim.

Cynthia

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Kippy, OMG, never have I seen anything like this. You know, it almost looks like the head of a pigeon with eyes, feathers on top of the head, plus those white stringy things look like round worms to me.

Good luck with this one. Make sure you get it on an antibiotic, or at least that is what I would do, right away. I know he is in good hands with you and I'll be saying prayers for this little one.

Really scary looking.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The picture was before he threw that object up.
Not a gift, pigeons around here just need to be willing to hang on until the meds work. My work hours vary at times so nothing is routine around here.
I gave him diluted Spartrix (5 days) and amox in his water and also put collodial silver on the outside. Swabbed the mucous as much as possible. He was hungry for awhile. He tried to eat but the seed just stuck with all the mucous. I was not going to put a tube down his throat with what was going on in there. It was difficult to get the Spartrix down.
I did tube feed him after his throat cleared he was looking pretty week. His beak scissored so it took awhile for him to get use to that but now he is eating on his own.
They sell product at the pigeon sites that help with mucous. Has anyone used it and does it work? Any household remedies for mucous?
I was curious to know if anyone seen a pigeon throw up something like this?
Not sure what to think about some of the pigeon issues around here but I hope I don't see it again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just looking at the picture of what came up, it looks way too much like a baby pigeon to me.

I wouldn't have the first idea how to treat something like this, you are all so amazing to be able to help these poor babies heal from things like that!! And it makes me feel so much more relaxed to know that if I run into any kind of problem I have all of you that I can turn to for help.

Kudoes to al of you!!!!!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I am so glad that he recovered, a scissored beak is a small price to pay. Our Piglet's beak scissored but he wasn't anywhere near as bad as Ski-ster.

Thank you for sharing this Kim, it just goes to show how the right medication and patience can work together..and that even the most hopeless looking patients can pull through! I have a feeling that a vet looking at the "before" pigeon would have recommended euthanasia.

Cynthia

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You Rock!

Kim...You are just amazing. So many sick pigeons come your way...they know how to find you and that you will help them. You fix them up, in your own special and caring way. You don't make a big production out of it even though some of the things you deal with are extreme.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
it does look like an embryo:eek:...maybe he ate out of an egg that had been broken if he was real hungry...I don't know but it looks like it's been in there for a long time just rotting in there...it is very gross but intesting at the same time. he looks so much better now.:)

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
In The Flying Vet's Pigeon Health and Management there is a photo of a canker nodule expressed from the bursa of fabricius. The photographed "thing" looks very like it, except for the shape and the "threads".

Cynthia

1 - 16 of 16 Posts