Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have indian and english fantails.

For a few weeks ago one of my almond indian fantail cock suddenly behaved very strange. I was going to feed them in the morning and he was walking in front of me, but he didn't go fast. Then suddenly he fell and spread out his wings in front of him like our reflex when we fall and get our arms in front of us. And then he just layed down there with spread wings and couldn't move.
It did look really scary and I put him on his feet again and let him go further, then it happened again. Then when I had fed the others, I put him up on his feet again and then he was walking as normal to the food at the ground and eating as normal. But he couldn't fly, I could see that he wanted to fly but he couldn't.

I was very worried and later I put him in a seperate cage. But he was behaving like normal. He was eating with good appetite, his poop was normal, he was washing himself, wasn't looking sick, didn't put his feathers up or how you say it. He was just like nothing ever happened.
So after a few days I set him free again.

And now for 3 days ago I could see him shiver sometimes, and he had diarrhea so I seperated him again... But he isn't showing any other symptoms then shivering sometimes and diarrhea he had no trouble flying or so like the last time.
I really don't understand!? What is this!?

I'm worrying a lot at the moment... Like where does this behaviour come from and I reaaaallly worry about the others too. So now I was observing again, they are sleeping now and I could see theier tails going up and down as they breath and it is rather visual. Is this normal?? (I first saw it at the sick one and looked at the other too see if it was normal but the most of them fantails do it too, I have just one "normal" pigeon who didn't). I can't say if it is normal, maybe it just belongs too the breed and now when I'm manic and worried about theier health I might seem a lot of "new things" that always have been there. But anyway, this wasn't my main question but if anyone has fantails and knows if this it usual - please share it with me.

Help anyone?!
Is it something with the food? I've been giving them good food with a lot of different peas and corns and they can always eat shells if they want too and they do always have water and they can't come in contact with wild birds... so what is the problem? :(

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Tail bobbing indicates respiratory distress. Could be because infectious disease, aspirated water and pretty much anything disturbing the respiratory organs.

As for falling on his belly, it seems to be something you should be concerned. I know they do like this when they are poisoned but may have other causes as well, I like equilibrum problems, neurological problems and maybe others.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh , sorry to hear this. I don't know about fantails , but the up and down tail movements of Highflyer is an indication of advanced stage of respiratory disorder.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you post a pic of the bird and of his droppings? Bring him in and keep him in a cage where you can better monitor his eating and drinking, and his droppings. Keep him warm and quiet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seem to have the same problem with one of my pigeons, a white dove/pigeon mix. Did you find out what the problem is with your bird Torteldifje?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you post a pic of the bird and of his droppings? Bring him in and keep him in a cage where you can better monitor his eating and drinking, and his droppings. Keep him warm and quiet.
Sorry, I forget to take photo's all the time, but the droppings look good now. He is just still shivering. We have had him inside in a warm room for a few weeks now since I wrote this post and he has been dewormed and had antibiotic and probiotica. Nothing worked. Or well, the antibiotica resulted in better droppings that still are good now. But as I said, he is still shivering. Now we give him extra vitamins but nothing seems to help. We don't know what to do anymore. But he looks good, he eats good and behaves normal. He doesn't look sick, he is just shivering.

And the other pigeons don't show any symtoms so they are not infected. I was just worrying so much so I thought I saw something. But I'm happy the others are well but I don't want to loose this lovely fantail, he is soo kind too his babies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I seem to have the same problem with one of my pigeons, a white dove/pigeon mix. Did you find out what the problem is with your bird Torteldifje?
I dewormed my pigeon and gave him antibiotica and probiotica and that helped a with the droppings. But he is still shivering. I don't know anything about the balance but nothing strange has happened again.

How is yours doing? Have you found a way to make your pigeon better? :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I think you are mistaking the way fan tails will shake, for an illness. They do shake, their chest and head. Kind of like a shimmy. Is that what he is doing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you are mistaking the way fan tails will shake, for an illness. They do shake, their chest and head. Kind of like a shimmy. Is that what he is doing?
I can hope you're right but I have more fantails and the others are not shaking so that's why I think it's an illness...
But I can record him and upload it at YouTube so you can all see it :) that would maybe be a lot easier! I'll do it as soon as I get home again.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That would be great.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Is the shaking caused by respiration? Labored breathing poiunts toward respiratory disease or distress caused by a foreign body in lungs.

does she make any sounds, sdneeze, cough etc?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
When I got home he didn't shake, and he didn't for a while. I did almost think he was healthy again until yesterday. So here is a youtube link with a recording. I'm a litle unstable on my hand but you can clearly see him shake very fast...

https://youtu.be/mndfWQgLyiQ

Anyone who knows that this is and what to do?

Standing kind of hunched. Could be in pain. Bird will shake from that.
How is he eating and drinking? Acting otherwise?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts