Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flying my 7 homers today, I noticed that there were now 8. The bird flew and landed with my birds. When I called them all in with the feed can, all 8 trapped in. It kind of looks like a young homer but is not banded. Can I just leave it with my birds or quarantine it and start medications?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Absolutely isolate for a few weeks-always as a precaution, why medicate? Is it showing any symptoms of diease?

It is not a preventive, it can do more harm then good.

I would just do general prevention for now. ACV in the water, and garlic on other day. A young homer who may be lost and greatly stressed will really benefit from some probiotics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No signs of disease or sickness of any kind, it appears to be very healthy. By medication, I just meant standard treatment for worms and canker. I give the homers ACV in their water daily. I will try and post a picture later and maybe someone can tell me if it just a feral or a young homer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am new today to this blog so I hope I get this picture right. It looks like it will only let me post very small pics but will try anyway. The new stray is on the right, along side one of my homers. This is when she first came in. I have her isolated in a pen now. I have just started raising pigeons again this year but I did raise them 15 years ago. Bird Beak Pigeons and doves Rock dove Rook

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, It was at first but seems to have settled down now in its isolation cage. Getting ready to go fly my homers this morning. Thinking about tossing it up with them and see if it returns or if it wants to be back out. Thoughts?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That sounds like a good idea. Wonder why if it's a feral, it wasn't with it's flock. Only time that happens here is when one is sick or injured, and can't fly with the flock. They will then try to roost on top of or near my loft. Guess they know my birds are in there, and that makes them feel more secure to stay nearby. Watch that he isn't sick. Is he acting normal?

Then too, could have been owned by some...............

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tossed it with my seven homers just now. All 8 did a circle or two and then routed. My homers usually do that and then I don't see them for an hour. I will see then if the stray returns with them.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Yes, It was at first but seems to have settled down now in its isolation cage. Getting ready to go fly my homers this morning. Thinking about tossing it up with them and see if it returns or if it wants to be back out. Thoughts?
Give it another day or two to relax and build up its immunities. Oops, just read your latest post, okay, update us please.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The homers flew for just over an hour but the stray did not return with them. I left the bobs door open in case she comes back later. She may have found her old place and stayed there. Anyway, Thanks for all the help and replies. I really like this Pigeon-Talk site and this is only my second day here. Still have tons of reading to do here yet but most information here is great. Thanks Again

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Let us know if she comes back. I hope she wasn't ill. Either she just took off, or possible that if ill, couldn't keep up with your birds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update - It is getting dark here now and have not seen her all day. I am sure she made it back to her home. I do not think she was sick at all and was a really good flier with my homers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.