Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a little bit of time off work today so I took the opportunity to build some nest boxes into my loft.
The birds went out flying while I worked, and were eager to come in by the time I had finished. As soon as I had cleaned up my mess and shut the door everyone came in and trapped.
I went in to spy on them a bit to see how they liked the new additions to their home. I was really surprised. My birds are usually pretty quiet. But being in the loft with them as they checked out the new boxes, they were very loud.
All my birds are between 4 and 6 months old. I have been beginning to guess their sexes...but now I don't know what to think. I had one bird that I was certain was a hen from day one, spinning, bowing and wopping (only way I can describe it :eek:) like a cock. I thought I had 1 hen feral, and definitely one cock feral (nest mates), and here they were both acting like cocks and actually even fought over boxes for awhile. At least 3 of my birds were acting like they were trying to stake a claim on a box.

Would this be a good indication of sex? Or will hens also act this way about nest boxes?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Don't worry, now that they got homes with bedrooms they are just staking claim on both their rooms and they mates. Enjoy, this is a fun time to watch personalities come out.

Tony

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I had a little bit of time off work today so I took the opportunity to build some nest boxes into my loft.
The birds went out flying while I worked, and were eager to come in by the time I had finished. As soon as I had cleaned up my mess and shut the door everyone came in and trapped.
I went in to spy on them a bit to see how they liked the new additions to their home. I was really surprised. My birds are usually pretty quiet. But being in the loft with them as they checked out the new boxes, they were very loud.
All my birds are between 4 and 6 months old. I have been beginning to guess their sexes...but now I don't know what to think. I had one bird that I was certain was a hen from day one, spinning, bowing and wopping (only way I can describe it :eek:) like a cock. I thought I had 1 hen feral, and definitely one cock feral (nest mates), and here they were both acting like cocks and actually even fought over boxes for awhile. At least 3 of my birds were acting like they were trying to stake a claim on a box.

Would this be a good indication of sex? Or will hens also act this way about nest boxes?
The very best indication is the egg laying part. Hens lay the eggs. Hen's will also defend a nest box or a perch. The more mature they become, the more obvious it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts