Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an update about my white pigeon who has canker, Its been to the vets loads, started off giving some spatryx and a dose of flagyl, and it all cleared apart from a tiny bit but then came back, then its had a course of about 4 treatments of flagyl but each time vet takes the build up of yellow out of mouth it has came back by the next visit. The last visit my parents took it and they think he has given it hydrogen peroxide although they can't quite remember exactly if that was what he said. Got an appointment to go back on Monday. Pigeon seems more full of life than it has been for a long time so I really hope this is going to work

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Just an update about my white pigeon who has canker, Its been to the vets loads, started off giving some spatryx and a dose of flagyl, and it all cleared apart from a tiny bit but then came back, then its had a course of about 4 treatments of flagyl but each time vet takes the build up of yellow out of mouth it has came back by the next visit. The last visit my parents took it and they think he has given it hydrogen peroxide although they can't quite remember exactly if that was what he said. Got an appointment to go back on Monday. Pigeon seems more full of life than it has been for a long time so I really hope this is going to work
When I had a bad case of canker I gave mine 1/4 tablet (of a 250mg tablet) metronidizole (flagyl) for 7 days. You have to go the full 7 days. Didn't come back.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I would give Spartrix for 3-5 days OR Metronidazole for 7-10 days. I don't think your bird is getting enough meds to knock the canker.

I doubt that hydrogen peroxide was given .. at least I hope not. It wouldn't help the canker and sure would cause some problems with the bird especially if it was given at full strength.

It's also very dangerous to try and remove a canker growth as it can cause a fatal bleed. HOWEVER, canker lesions can be successfully and safely removed by a vet using a laser.

Terry

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
it all cleared apart from a tiny bit but then came back, then its had a course of about 4 treatments of flagyl
I had a squab with canker. Spartrix didn't work, so I took her to the vet and got liquid Metronidazole. She was supposed to take it for 5 days.The canker took a while to clear, It took 14 days to clear, and that is how long she was on the Metronidazole. Had I stopped it while she still had the visible canker in her throat, then it would have just come back more. It isn't good to medicate longer than necessary, but to stop it too soon only makes the canker more resistant. Sometimes you just have to treat longer.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
There is a danger with recurring canker. Once you go through one medicine, and it comes back I’ll recommend switching to another.
Ask your Vet for Dimeridazole and use it for 5~7 days.
Spartrix (Carnidazole) and Flagyl (Metronidazole) are good but usually used in single dose.
Spartrix I use for 3 days and usually I start with it.
If after 24 there is no improvement, then I combine it with Dimetridazole. Spartrix in the morning, Dimetridazole in the afternoon.
Ad Lugols Iodine in the drinking water too. I do throat swabbing with iodine solution in severe cases.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I don't think it did come back. It was never eradicated when the med was stopped. It was stopped too soon. I do agree that if there is not a lot of improvement each day, to change the med. I had started with the spartrix, but it didn't do much, so then I used the liquid Metronidazole. All in all, it took two weeks, but the canker was so bad that there was a lump sticking out of the side of the neck. This disappeared first, but the visible canker in the throat took longer to completely go away. The poor little thing could not swallow, as the opening was nearly closed. I had to start with formula which wasn't as thick as I normally would use, just to get it down. I have never tube fed, and really didn't want to start with this one, as it would have been nearly impossible to get a tube down there without dislodging the nodules. It took a while to clear up as it was really a lot of canker. But I wouldn't stop the meds as long as I could still see canker in the throat.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I treat bad cases of canker by giving ronidazole (5%) for 7 days (optionally with vitamins), followed by 5 days with a solution of copper sulphate (0.5 g) + ACV (10ml) in 1 liter of water.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Can you ask the vet to take a swab to confirm that this is really canker? It shouldn't take a minute to establish with a microscope.

I had a pigeon that was diagnosed as having canker that kept returning. It was at the top of the mouth and wiped off with a cotton bud. I concluded that it was yeast or respiratory exudate and stopped loading her with antibiotics, she made a full recovery.

Cynthia

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will see what vet says on friday when we go back, Hopefully it wil be good news, he seems like a good vet as he has a constant stream of parrots and other birds to treat with people travelling for miles to take their pets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your bird may have wet pox and not canker. They can look the same if they are in the mouth. If so try putting iodine on it after you have scraped it off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies, been back to vets yesterday and he confirmed it was hydrogen peroxide he put on on the previous visit. He scrapped the yellow stuff out and he was pleased to tell me the throat looked healthy and there was no bleeding, on previous visits the throat has been inflamed and sore. He has sent me away with an iodine solution to dab on the back of the throat every day and some stuff for in its drinking water. Hopefully it wont come back and i wont have any more vets bills! I'm going to treat it to a new flight for getting better as its been living in a rabbit run since the other pigeons bullied it out of the aviary.

·
Registered
610 Posts
That is great news. Thanks for the update. I have a pigeon with a bad case of canker. Pigeon has been prescribed Spartrix and Flagyl for 10-14 days. I find you have to give the full 14 day dose because often the canker is right down inside where you cant see it besides being in the throat/mouth.

Hood luck with the new flight!

Jayne

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That is great news. Thanks for the update. I have a pigeon with a bad case of canker. Pigeon has been prescribed Spartrix and Flagyl for 10-14 days. I find you have to give the full 14 day dose because often the canker is right down inside where you cant see it besides being in the throat/mouth.

Hood luck with the new flight!

Jayne
Can you give it to them together? I had tried the Spartrix, and had to go to the liquid Flagyl for 14 days. But didn't know you could give it together. Would that not cause problems for the bird?

·
Registered
610 Posts
The Spartrix (Carnidazole 10mg) is a one dose treatment though a further dose can be given several days later if canker is severe. My pigeon has had both doses combined with the Flagy which is prescribed for 10-14 days. The Pigeon has not been given a Spartrix every day!!
Sorry that I did not make that clear.
Jayne

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I know it says to give the Spartrix for 1 day, and again in a few days if needed, but most people give it for three days autimatically, as one day never really does anything much. They need at least three days, sometimes more. Anyway, with my last squeaker, the liquid Flagyl worked, but it did take fourteen days.
Thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts