Pigeon-Talk banner

Stupid people killing babies

4K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  pigeonlover2k11 
#1 ·
hello,i know where a pigeon nest is but sadly im not the only one.there are little children climbing up that tree all the time.i usually tell them off but i dont know what happens when im away.the parents are only making the nest and there are no eggs yet but im scared that the children will destroy the little family.how else can i get them to leave the nest alone? the tree id in this big bush.could i place the nest in a little bit different branch so the children arent able to see it? i really love pigeons and i want them to grow up properly so HELP ME IM BEGGING YOU

#3 ·
pigeon girl

thank you ever so much for yor reply.yeah,chicken wire sounds like a great idea and hopefully i will get it all sorted out with the parents of the kids.just about 3 hours ago i looked out of my window to see the 2 pigeons bringing more sticks to their nest.i will keep informing you about how the pigeon family is getting on.tomorrow,i am planning to go to one of the childrens parents.fingers crossed that this will stop and the pigeons will be left alone in future.again,thank you Maria

#4 ·
Talk nicely to the parents; do not blame the children..childern will always be children..; just show concern for the pigeon family.
Before talking to the parents you can try it with kids first: you can give some candies to the kids or show some pics of baby pigeons.. and talk to them if they would like to be the guardians/protectors of these pigeons who will soon have their babies. Tell them that they can choose names for the squabs and so on...Hope it works ..kids soften up on this stuff.

#5 ·
Ask them if they know the parents pigeons names..if not ask them to baptieze them and give them a cute name they are attched too;;like Mickey Mouse, Bambi etc..Tell them a cute story with a happy end with a pigeon you know (make it up). lol than would have been fun if i were you.

#7 ·
the kids are devils!!!dont want to hear anything about it.my estate is very criminal(lithuanian drug dealers you know) and some are the parents.they dont understand me or just dont answer the door.the mother pigeon layed an egg.thank god that the kids didnt come back but what if they DO?i need help again guys...... :eek: :(((

#12 ·
The egg hasn't really even started to develop yet. If you throw the nest away, and the egg, and keep stopping them from building a new nest, they will realize that it isn't safe to nest there. If you are persistent, they will leave.

#13 ·
what!!?

absolutely no way jay3.i know youre right that the egg hasnt started to develop but like....i`m not able to do that!of course,i appreciate you giving advice byt...any other ideas people?im running out of time.just say a little prayer that the children dont come back today. :(

#14 ·
Maria,

Jay3's advice is actually right on.
If you feel bad about throwing out an undeveloped egg, imagine how you'll feel about the babies being harmed by the kids, or abandoned by the parents due to the constant harassment. If these kids are curious about the nest now, just imagine the situation once the babies hatch. Act now, while you still can.

#15 ·
hmm....idea!

ok,i know thee two are right but instead of throwing the egg away,could i try and raise it myself? i am a real pigeon lover and i would absolutely LOVE to experience something like this.what do you think?should i give it a go? it IS another lil pijii you know what im on about? :) IM WAITING FOR YOUR REPLY PEOPLE :))

#16 ·
You could try, but I wouldn't advise it, unless you have someone close by with experience to help you through it. Even some very experienced people have had problems arise trying to raise hatchlings. You might be taking on more than you could handle. Just because you would love the experience doesn't make it a wise thing to do IMO.

#17 ·
I understand your impulses, but I wouldn't advise it either. There'll be only heartbreak in it for you and torture for the little one. This is not like hatching chicken eggs, where as long as you have an incubator, you're all set, because the chicks come out fully formed and ready to peck. Baby pigeons are totally helpless and remain so for weeks. Raising from an egg is a huge challenge even for the most experienced.

Check out some of the threads on PT to get an idea of what is involved and how many of these attempts end.

#18 ·
Yes. It is very hard to raise a newly hatched egg. The baby usually suffers, and often ends up dying. Do you really think that is fair to the hatchling? The kindest thing you could do would be to just get rid of it. That would be the unselfish and caring thing to do.

#19 ·
yes i understand but...i am just not the person that could kill an egg.yes,yes it isnt developing yet but...at least could i give it to my neighbous across the road? they keep racing pigeons so that when the chick grows up,it wont be imprinted on a person and will think of itself as a pigeon if you get what im saying.just anything exept throwing the egg away.by the way...when do they actually start developing?

#20 ·
almondman: as i just mentioned above,i have neighbours who have racing pigeons so i can ask them for help and formula? were great friends so im sure they will be happy to help me :) right,tell me because in that case i have to go shopping for baby bird stuff :) ;) again as i was saying,thank you for all your comments!!! p.s please keep them coming :)))

#22 ·
It will never be prepared to live in the wild. Even if raised by the neighbors birds. If you release it afterwards, its chances of survival go way down, as it hasn't been raised in the wild.

#23 ·
hmm...yeah but you see,if the baby grows with neighbour`s pigeons,it would think of itself as one of them so...will it not just stay with the group that its adopted parents are in? anyway,please tell me when the egg starts to develop and one more question:will my neighbours mother pigeon take an egg thats not hers? thank you guys :}

#24 ·
Are you sure your neighbor wants to keep a feral pigeon in his loft, mixed in with his racers? Most racers don't want ferals mixing with their birds.

#25 ·
really? i didnt know that and anyway friends,i did it :( i threw the egg out,well i didnt,never be able to.my friend did it.now i have a new problem (also pigeon related) this one is urgent.maybe i should start a new thread.i was walking my dog when suddenly,a pigeon jumped out of a bush.its left wing was half gone(probably by a cat) i brang it to my neighbours and they said that it would probably die over night.im worried sick and i want to know if there is any chance of the pigeon to survive.of course i will take care of it if it survives because it definately cant be let back out to the wild without a wing.guys,all you can do for now is give me advice and pray for the pidgie.i was aupposing that it is a juvenile because it lookes quite young.and pigeons really rarely get caught by cats dont they?anyway,i will send you a link on my new thread.i trust god to help this pigeon but if that fails...:'(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.