Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I lost one of my birds very suddenly to what I thought was an isolated illness. She had been fine the day before, but overnight she'd regurgitated some undigested seeds with a clear fluid, and was lethargic and breathing heavily. I took her to the vet and he started a throat and fecal culture, saying he suspected it was a "minor" GI infection, somewhere past the crop. He gave me an antibiotic and said he'd call with the results later.

Well, she died a few hours later in her isolation cage. And I thought it was over. But this morning, I found 3 more dead birds (all of which looked fine the night before) and 3 more very sick - regurgitating seeds and breathing heavily. This time, the regurgitated fluid had yellowish and greenish bits in it. And their droppings were dark, reddish brown and a little bit slimy or jell-o like, with normal white urates. The droppings and the fluid smelled "fishy."

I rushed the 3 sick ones to another emergency clinic because my regular vet's office was closed. By the time I got home, two of them had died in the carrier. A yellow fluid leaked out of their mouths after death.

The emergency vet sent me home with a flock treatment of Tylan for the water, and will call in several days with the swab culture results.

I am posting here because I really don't think I have several days to wait for these culture results if I want to save the rest of my birds. But I have no idea what this illness could be. It seems to take them very fast - just a few hours after they appear to be ill.

Does it sound like the Tylan is the right treatment? I thought it was for respiratory problems.

I am isolating any of the birds who look sick. I have also changed their feed. All of this happened a day or so after I had opened a new bag of feed. It looks fine and smells fine. But I noticed that they were leaving most of the red millet uneaten. And most of the regurgitated seeds consisted of the red millet. So I am not taking any chances, in case it is bad.

Any advice would be appreciated while I wait to hear from the vet.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Are they young birds?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Running out, so just a quick reply.

In your most sick birds I would definitely pull any food/seeds out of their isolation cages for a bit. It seems what ever they have is not allowing things to move through their GI system and if they consume more food it may just slow things down even more. Besides, with acute illness like this most birds are fine for a few days without food as long as they are well hydrated, this is just until you get a better handle on things. Also, since you are relying on oral medication this makes it even more important that things are moving GI wise.

If you find their crops are not emptying at all, it's really important that you get back to the vets and have him administer antibiotics by injection, as if GI stasis is taking place they are not getting much, if any, benefit from oral meds.

How many birds do you have? What other meds do you have?

Karyn

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Running out, so just a quick reply.

If you find their crops are not emptying at all, it's really important that you get back to the vets and have him administer antibiotics by injection, as if GI stasis is taking place they are not getting much, if any, benefit from oral meds.

How many birds do you have? What other meds do you have?

Karyn

The first one I brought to the vet was given an antibiotic injection and some fluids injected. But it must have been too late to save her.

The rest of the sick ones are definitely in crop stasis. From the looks of them right now, I don't think they'll make it until morning.

I have about 30 left who do not appear sick yet. I've got some other meds in small quantities, but nothing that would be enough for a flock treatment, and nothing injectable.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
At the start of the real cold season I also had 3 birds suddenly die and I found them on the floor--one , two years old and I thought maybe it was the heater that I used to keep the temperature warmer and maybe it was just too dry for them????? I took their bodies to my Vet for an exam and she said that she did not find anything wrong with these three females (only females) No egg problems and telling me that they did not eat for a few days (something I missed) although I did see reguritated seed in clear liquid around when I cleaned the loft so I also thought maybe the seed or maybe they got into something and it is still a mystery to this day..?? I have owned birds for more than 10 years and never had this---shocked me----They were my prettiest birds too.. They had yellow coming out of mouth and very dark droppings if what I could tell--one died one day and two the next--quick---. c.hert...????? She found nothing wrong??????

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the start of the real cold season I also had 3 birds suddenly die and I found them on the floor--one , two years old and I thought maybe it was the heater that I used to keep the temperature warmer and maybe it was just too dry for them????? I took their bodies to my Vet for an exam and she said that she did not find anything wrong with these three females (only females) No egg problems and telling me that they did not eat for a few days (something I missed) although I did see reguritated seed in clear liquid around when I cleaned the loft so I also thought maybe the seed or maybe they got into something and it is still a mystery to this day..?? I have owned birds for more than 10 years and never had this---shocked me----They were my prettiest birds too.. They had yellow coming out of mouth and very dark droppings if what I could tell--one died one day and two the next--quick---. c.hert...????? She found nothing wrong??????
I'm sorry that this happened to you too.
Yes - it is happening so fast...1 dead, then 3 more, then 2 more, then 1 more...I am checking them every hour and dreading the moment I open the door, what I will find. The first to go was one of my prettiest, and a very tame, special bird.

The sick ones have very dark droppings, and some have regurgitated violently, spewing dark green goo and seeds against the sides of their cages.
And during/after death a yellow fluid comes from the crop. It all has a fishy odor.

I am sick with worry.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I have such a dread when I go out to clean and scrape the floor everyday and air it out that I might find another one on the floor. They got into something ??? I have a plywood floor smooth---no paint on anything---no new furniture or perches---perches yes but wood old ones going across and on the female side 14 wooden nest boxes no paint natural plywood--no rat poison--no screws or staples--everyday I look---clean water everyday???
Either the seed mix or the air and this seems not contagious--no sickness before that I could see and I check everyday????? The Vet checked the bodies and found nothing except no eating and some e-coli (normal amount but a little higher) I take her for her word and I don't know how well she really checked but she told me Nothing she could find..... I did at this time use pik in the grit (yellow powder mineral that I bought at a bird supply store) I have since removed it thinking maybe that was contaminated and I have not had any problems until Diamond and she is fine (she brought home gold writing today (copper). It is very worrying and I know for you too...Check you supplements or pik or paint or new furniture or staples or hooks or heaters or car fumes??????????

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I'm so very sorry to learn of this. I certainly don't know what may be making your birds ill and causing them to die in such a short time, but something similar happened with ringneck doves that my friend, Bart, had. He lost approximately 90 doves within about 72-96 hours. The cause was Chlamydiosis/Psittacosis/Ornithosis. This is a reportable disease as it can be transmitted to humans, so it might be wise to find out for sure if this is the cause, and if so, you need to go through a course of antibiotics yourself.

I think I would at least call the vet and see if s/he thinks this might be the cause.

Terry

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Don't know much about that disease but it sure sounds scary and I will call my vet...It for me did not seem that contagous for I lost three and it stopped and it seemed all in the digestive track for they were throwing up seed for I found a few scattered in unlikely places---in front of nest boxes and on the floor---no babies---no mating---separated for winter.....Very strange indeed...Thats for the imput....c.hert

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Not saying this is it But could be cocsid. Or Ecoli. Years back in the late 80s Had a problem near this in just 3 or for Birds. i was using a 5 gallon waterer Now It isolated and treated the birds with SUMLET for ten days Aloso gave brewers yeast tabs. The birds got to where they even dropped grains from there droppings. BUT they survived with this treatment. They went off feed But I hand fed them for a couple days. Then i went back to 1 gallong waters that i could clean daily instead of the 5 gallong one that i cleaned weekly. NO MORE SICK BIRDs. Now this may or may not help. Sulmet can be got at most any vet supply

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Something to think about here for I did change my metal water container over for wintertime and cold weather (it got real cold Colorado) changed it to a 5 gallon on each side with a water warmer under as well but also had smaller ones up higher on a shelf because I had a oil filled sealed heater for warmth on low during this time--did not change that water for 2 days because of the cold----maybe---I wonder if Amoonswirl had any of these problems???? Thanks....C.hert

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your birds were all ok before you opened the new bag of feed,
I would definitely be looking at the new feed you opened for poison .
Is it different from the old? did you get it from some where other than your regular place? are you feeding all your birds with the same feed?
i would pull all feed and get some straight wheat and milo and feed only that until your birds are better.
Please keep us posted on your findings.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is always difficult for us to hear of sick birds. Many times we don't know what is going on. So one of the best ways to treat the problem. Is the prosess of elimination. I think you have done right.

Isolate the sick bird from the flock.
cover the cage.
Add heat with a heating pad.
Get the bird to the vet.
If you are waiting on cultures.
Make sure the pens are spotless clean.
Use like a mild bleach and water to clean or something like that.
Clean drinkers with the mild bleach water. Rinse very well.
Once you are sure things are spotless.
And you are sure the birds are getting clean water and food every day.
I will start my birds on a 4 in one product like what Foy's sales. Most of the time your bird's are getting better. Before the cultures come back.
It has wormer in it also.

Then you can use AC Vinager. probiodics, and vitimin. Good luck! Jim

·
Registered
862 Posts
Is it different from the old? did you get it from some where other than your regular place? are you feeding all your birds with the same feed?
i would pull all feed and get some straight wheat and milo and feed only that until your birds are better.
I agree with this,however the poison could be somewhere else also.
Kurps:cool:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you are sure that it is not poison I would guess that may be more than one thing. E-coli plus some viral infection. Greenish/yellow/smelly liquid in the crop are usually caused by adenovirus, circovirus infections.
Windmill Ranch had good suggestions and using immune boosters will help whatever it is.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
I also feel that this may be poison , check the feed , also there were some post about changing to larger water containers, if these containers are are ZINC coated, many supplements and meds can react with the zinc coating and will cause poisoning.I will need to check my books as I remember reading about this type of poisoning happening, but want to be sure.GEORGE;)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I also feel that this may be poison , check the feed , also there were some post about changing to larger water containers, if these containers are are ZINC coated, many supplements and meds can react with the zinc coating and will cause poisoning.I will need to check my books as I remember reading about this type of poisoning happening, but want to be sure.GEORGE;)
Hi George (and all)

My waterers are plastic, and I change them daily - bring one in to wash it and bring a fresh one out every morning with clean water.

I removed the questionable feed, and not wanting to buy the same type from the same supplier in case of a large-scale contamination, I have replaced it with a pelleted feed instead. Normally I'd wean them from one to the other but I cannot take the chance that I'm feeding them poison. (Incidentally, I asked at the feed store if they had heard any customers having the same issue after opening new feed, and they said no.)

Two of my feeders have a zinc coating and the other is plastic. I have been giving them probios occasionally in their (zinc) feeders, but this is nothing new.

My grit hopper is also plastic. I dumped that out as well and replaced it with fresh grit.

I keep the loft dry, although occasionally if it rains some will splash in through the door to the flight pen. When this happens, I remove any wet bedding. I am using straw now, but today I plan to remove all of the bedding and disinfect. Will probably keep a bare floor until this is under control - so I can easily see any regurgitations or dropping changes.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and I hope to have some more news from the vet today. I will post later. My hope is that by sharing this, I can prevent anyone else from suffering the devastation.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
This is a heartbreaking situation, I hope that it is under control soon.

A newly opened bale of straw can also be the source of multiple sudden deaths (fungus), but although vomiting can be a symptom the main symptoms are respiratory.

Have you got any activated charcoal? If the pigeons aren't on medication then there is no harm in treating them with that wich should bind any poisons in their digestive system.

I would also have a post mortem on one.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of your problem. The "not knowing" is always nerve wracking. I hope the others do OK.

Tylosin is used for bacterial infections. Comments "Very effective against mycoplasma and against ornithose complex when combined with tetracyclines"

Have you introduced any new birds lately?
I'm inclined to guess poisoning (contamination) also. And was wondering about charcoal also, but don't know if you can use it while on antibiotics.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts