Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pigeon lived with me for 3 years. It walked fine, but then before my very eyes, its foot gave away. Pigeon has probably pain in one foot because it cannot stand on it. Also, when it stands on good foot and tries to put the sick foot away under her feathers the foot does not hide all the way in feathers as it used to be. This is not a vitamin D deficiency because pigeon gets its vitamins in water.

·
Registered
864 Posts
probably hit himself somehow.. i had the same thing happend to me.. in one second .. my pigeon landed bad on his feet.. and couldnt walk for two weeks..
tif he can extend te foot and pull it back its not broken..
id add some calcium to the diet and maybe some pain killers just to be on te safe side..
any chance u upload a pic of him and te foot?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi,

Do you happen to know if your pigeon is a hen. Basically has 'it' laid any eggs recently?

The only reason I ask that is I have one at the moment that suddenly went very lame when she was inbetween laying her eggs and has stayed lame on one leg for two weeks, now back to normal.
She showed the same signs and you'd think she's hurt her foot by the way she held it up and couldn't use it.

Just another possibility to check out.

Janet

·
Registered
449 Posts
deformed beak

I've had Croaw Dum since August. He has been to the vet for treatment and an exam. Despite everything, he seems to be doing OK
He has a deformed beak in which he seems to be managing although he can not close his mouth
However, yesterday I noticed his deformed upper beak is starting to splinter.
Sadly, I think he will eventually lose his upper beak completely. :(
The vet also fears this may happen and doubts she can install a prosthetic beak since it is so far gone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pigeon is a hen

1. Yes, pigeon is a hen. She has been laying eggs regularly for last 3 years, and I substituted eggs for wooden eggs for her to sit. But she has not layed eggs recently as she was supposed to (there was unusual pause in egg laying but the delay is only about a week).
2. yes, she has grit, egg shells, etc, in her diet.
3. Thank you for all your replies - I feel much better now knowing that this is not serious and will pass.

Hi,
Do you happen to know if your pigeon is a hen. Basically has 'it' laid any eggs recently?

The only reason I ask that is I have one at the moment that suddenly went very lame when she was inbetween laying her eggs and has stayed lame on one leg for two weeks, now back to normal.
She showed the same signs and you'd think she's hurt her foot by the way she held it up and couldn't use it.

Just another possibility to check out.

Janet

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi,

Well as she's a hen that is a possiblity that the lameness is related but do keep a close eye on her just in case.
Anything else that you think isn't quite normal for her do come back on and check it out or even better if you have a vet you can use, pop her in for a check as we're hoping it will sort itself out but I'd hate you to miss spotting if there's another reason for her leg.

Good luck

Janet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.